    effect that I'm not authorised to log in, etc, etc.

    It's good that I found Google Groups to post this message.

    Thank you very much

    al, Jan 4, 2004

  2. al

    Gurble Guest

    On 3 Jan 2004 19:57:19 -0800, (al) wrote:

    >Hi Gurble :)
    >
    >Currently with Splurge but your suggestion worked!
    >
    >Been trying with other free news servers but got error messages to the
    >effect that I'm not authorised to log in, etc, etc.
    >
    >It's good that I found Google Groups to post this message.
    >
    >Thank you very much

    No problems :)

    I traced your posting IP address back to Quicksilver. I think Splurge
    are a Quicksilver reseller, hence the Quicksilver NNTP server should
    do the trick.

    Glad you got it sorted.

    Gurble, Jan 4, 2004

  3. al

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:17:47 +1300, "al"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:03:52 +1300, Gurble wrote:
    >

    >> I traced your posting IP address back to Quicksilver. I think Splurge
    >> are a Quicksilver reseller, hence the Quicksilver NNTP server should
    >> do the trick.

    >Just out of interest, how do you do this?

    In the headers of your email, is the line:

    This is the IP address of either your machine, or your ISP's proxy.

    There are several ways of performing a "Whois" query. A "Whois" query
    tells you who the block of IP addresses has been assigned to (your
    ISP).

    In Windows, unless I'm mistaken, there is no Whois command as standard
    (although there are plenty of programs to do this, such as Sam Spade).

    The easiest way is to just head over to www.samspade.org, type the IP
    address in the box, and click "Do Stuff".

    Another way is to open a dos window and type "tracert xxx", where xxx
    is the IP address. This will perform a trace to the IP address, and
    also perform a rDNS, which usually gives enough information to
    ascertain the ISP.

    Alternatively, if you were in a hurry, you could type "tracert -h 1
    xxx" to just go one "hop" - note the "Tracing route to xxxxx" at the
    top, where xxxxx is the rDNS entry.

    Another way is to go to www.arin.net, and enter the IP address in the
    whois box. This comes out with APNIC, the Asia Pacific Network
    Information Centre, who handles IP addresses for the Asia Pacific
    region. Armed with this information, you can head over to
    www.apnic.net and enter the IP address in the Whois box there.

    HTH

    Gurble, Jan 4, 2004
  4. al

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:12:35 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >In the headers of your email, is the line:

    This should, of course, read "the headers of your post", although the
    same applies with email.

    Gurble, Jan 4, 2004
  5. al

    al Guest

    al, Jan 5, 2004
  6. al

    al Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:13:24 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:12:35 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:
    >
    >>In the headers of your email, is the line:

    > This should, of course, read "the headers of your post", although the
    > same applies with email.

    Thanks for such an informative post.

    It's nice to learn something everyday :)

    Regards.

    al, Jan 5, 2004