Replacing UTP with wireless, what equipment?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Joel Dorfan, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. Joel Dorfan

    Joel Dorfan Guest

    We have a network running 2000 server and fixed IP adresses in the
    192.168... range.

    The router is a 24 port 3Com superstack.

    One of the workstations is connected by a very circuitous UTP cable which
    often gives us trouble. It is across a driveway in another building about 50
    yards away. I would like to replace this single connection with wireless.
    This remote PC is in a warehouse and its main function is the printing of
    picking slips sent to it from one other PC on the network.

    I dont know much about wirless networking but I envisage plugging an access
    point into the above router in place of where the current UTP cable is
    plugged and a wireless NIC in the remote PC. I would also use external
    antennas both sides to improve throughput.

    Is my thinking correct? Are there any possible problems that I could
    experience setting this up?

    Netgear WG602 access point and WAG311GE PCI adapter have been suggested as a
    possible solution. Does this make sense?

    What would you recommend?

    Thanks

    Joel

    Joel Dorfan, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Joel Dorfan

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    You are on the right track.

    The deciding factor would be the envioroment.

    If the two Antennae are facing one the other and there is No obstructions it
    should work.

    Take into consideration that an extension Antennae with long Coax is not a
    good solution since 2.4 GHz rapidly lose gain with length.

    If the remote place having more then one computer or and long Antenna Coax
    is needed you should consider Bridging rather then simple AP to client
    connection. Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Joel Dorfan

    Joel Dorfan Guest

    Thanks Jack,
    The environment should be fine. I will be able to minimise the coax runs to
    a few yards at most.

    I went to your link below. Seems that a bridge uses 2 access points as
    opposed to a single access point and a wireless NIC, is that correct?

    Joel

    Joel Dorfan, Oct 31, 2004