Replacing the Primary of a PIX bundle

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bright, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Bright

    Bright Guest

    Dear All

    I'm confused about the cisco failover bundle - there are now
    restrictions to prevent the two PIX being used individually (that
    seems reasonable as the bundle is cheaper than purchasing two PIX) but
    surely that makes the failover feature unworkable.

    According to the cisco web site, the standby unit will reboot every 24
    hours if it finds that it isn't attached to a Primary ... But that
    doesn't make sense - what if the PSU blows on the primary PIX and you
    can't get it fixed for a few days...

    "The PIX Firewall failover Standby unit is intended to be used solely
    for failover and not in standalone mode. If a failover unit is used in
    standalone mode, the unit will reboot at least once every 24 hours
    until the unit is returned to failover duty."

    The Cisco web site also says that the standby unit will hang at boot
    time if not connected to a failover cable or if the primary end of a
    failover cable is plugged into it... Does this mean it needs to see
    something at the other end (same problem as descrined above if the
    primary is down) or is it simply a matter of having the cable plugged
    in (i.e it checks some form of loopback in the pinout)

    "If a failover-only PIX Firewall is not attached to a failover cable
    or is attached to the Primary end of a failover cable, then it will
    hang at boot time. It must be a Secondary unit."

    The reason I'm in this quandary is that the primary of my failover
    bundle has failed so.
    1. I'm concerned that the standby will soon start to reboot (because
    the primary is powered off).
    2. I'm not sure of the best way of configuring the replacement primary
    (in the past I would simply make the secondary the primary and reverse
    the serial cable - the config would then transfer and everything would
    be happy).

    Note: It's not obvious from the outside of the PIX, which is the
    primary and which is the standby... as far as I was concerned the
    orientation of the serial failover cable was the only determining
    factor - can anyone advise me on this?

    Thanks

    John
    Bright, Feb 13, 2004