Replacing PC with Notebook What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sam, Mar 2, 2010.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook. My computer use is usually
    'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating some photos.

    I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the monitor,
    external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the time.

    What do you think of this notebook? I went to Dell site first but
    couldn't configure a notebook that I likjed for a reasonable price.

    HP dv4i
    Core i5-430M 2.26GHz
    512MB ATI Graphics
    5.2 lbs. Laptop
    6-Cell Battery
    802.11n
    Integrated Webcam
    5-in-1 Card Reader
    Item # 509430

    Processor & Memory:

    * Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor (2.26GHz)
    * 3MB L2 cache
    * 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)

    Drives:

    * 500GB (7,200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    * SuperMulti 8x DVD±R/RW drive with Double Layer Support

    Graphics & Video:

    * 14.1" WXGA BrightView widescreen display; 1280 x 800 native resolution
    * 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550 Graphics

    Communications:

    *
    Wireless-N Mini Card
    *
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

    Audio:

    * Built-in Altec Lansing speakers

    Keyboard:

    * HP color matching keyboard
    * Touch Pad with on/off and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad

    Personalization:

    * Color: Espresso Black
    * Integrated webcam

    Expandability:

    * ExpressCard/54 Slot

    Ports:

    * 3x USB 2.0 ports (one shared with eSATA port)
    * 1x HDMI
    * 1x RJ-45 (LAN)
    * 1x Notebook Expansion Port 3
    * 1x VGA

    Operating System:

    * Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

    Additional Software:

    * Microsoft® Works 9.0
    * Norton Internet Security™ (60 days complimentary live updates)

    Power Supply:

    * 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery
    * 90W AC Adapter

    Additional Information:

    * Approximate Weight: 5.2 lbs.
    * Dimensions: Approximately 13.15” W x 9.45" D x 1.34"~1.57" H

    Sam, Mar 2, 2010

  2. Sam

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook. My computer use is usually
    > 'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating some photos.

    Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with LTs more hate than
    love. The only thing they are good for is their portability -- and you
    pay a dreadful price for the portability.

    They aren't upgradeable or very 'fixable'. For the same amount of
    hardware capability, you pay about 3 times as much as you would a DT
    which is more 'flexible' or changeable or upgradeable.

    For your needs, since you already have a monitor you like, I saw a very
    small footprint desktop the other day for about $200.

    The other problem with the idea of a LT which you are also going to be
    using as DT is that they are heavier than is particularly comfortable.
    Yours is going to weigh 5.2 pounds, 2.35 kg, 83 oz.

    If you need new hardware; buy a cheap DT. If you need portability,
    (also) get a netbook. You can buy both of them for far less than your
    'decent' hardware LT is going to cost, and your netbook will be more
    comfortably portable and your DT will be more economically upgradeably
    functional.

    > I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the monitor,
    > external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the time.
    >
    > What do you think of this notebook?

    How much does it cost? Why do you need all of that capability to be
    portable?

    If you *have to* transport significant capaibilities then it might
    justify the cost; but it doesn't sound like you do.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 2, 2010

  3. Sam

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Sam Post:
    > I'm FUCKING **** COMPANION! thinking of replacing my FUCKING BOOB!
    > PUSSY! PC w/ a notebook.

    Well lets see now.....

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Mar 2, 2010
  4. Good answer.

    What Mike's saying in a nutshell, is that a heavy LT is falling between two
    stools.

    Lacks the portability of a netbook.
    Lacks the value and upgradability of a DT.

    IOW, the choice is between value and portability.

    The likelihood is that you won't WANT to shift a fat-ass LT from A to B.
    So unless you need a LT for use while travelling (ie - if the P/C's never
    leaving the house), you might just aswell save the money and get a DT.

    For example: John Smith, Mar 2, 2010
  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Sam wrote:
    >> I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook. My computer use is
    >> usually 'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating some
    >> photos.

    > Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with LTs more hate than love.
    > The only thing they are good for is their portability -- and you pay a
    > dreadful price for the portability.
    >
    > They aren't upgradeable or very 'fixable'. For the same amount of
    > hardware capability, you pay about 3 times as much as you would a DT which
    > is more 'flexible' or changeable or upgradeable.
    >
    > For your needs, since you already have a monitor you like, I saw a very
    > small footprint desktop the other day for about $200.
    >
    > The other problem with the idea of a LT which you are also going to be
    > using as DT is that they are heavier than is particularly comfortable.
    > Yours is going to weigh 5.2 pounds, 2.35 kg, 83 oz.
    >
    > If you need new hardware; buy a cheap DT. If you need portability,
    > (also) get a netbook. You can buy both of them for far less than your
    > 'decent' hardware LT is going to cost, and your netbook will be more
    > comfortably portable and your DT will be more economically upgradeably
    > functional.
    >
    >> I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the monitor,
    >> external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the time.
    >>
    >> What do you think of this notebook?

    > How much does it cost? Why do you need all of that capability to be
    > portable?
    >
    > If you *have to* transport significant capaibilities then it might justify
    > the cost; but it doesn't sound like you do.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    You make good points. The HP LT costs $879.00 delivered w/ two year
    warranty.
    I probasbly could get a Netbook and PC for the cost of the HP LT. OTOH,
    nobody I know is
    really content with a Netbook. The HP LT was less expensive than a
    comparably configured Dell LT.
    What brought this about is my girlfriend gets by OK w/. a Macbook which I
    find wanting.

    Sam, Mar 2, 2010
  6. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "For example: John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Good answer.
    >
    > What Mike's saying in a nutshell, is that a heavy LT is falling between
    > two stools.
    >
    > Lacks the portability of a netbook.
    > Lacks the value and upgradability of a DT.
    >
    > IOW, the choice is between value and portability.
    >
    > The likelihood is that you won't WANT to shift a fat-ass LT from A to B.
    > So unless you need a LT for use while travelling (ie - if the P/C's never
    > leaving the house), you might just aswell save the money and get a DT.

    I used the LT at a local COSTCO and now that I think about it I don't
    believe I lifted it up.
    I'll have to go back and check out the weight.

    s.

    Sam, Mar 2, 2010
  7. Sam

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with LTs more hate than

    love.

    > You make good points. The HP LT costs $879.00 delivered w/ two year
    > warranty.

    Ouch. Mucho dinero.

    > I probasbly could get a Netbook and PC for the cost of the HP LT.
    > OTOH, nobody I know is really content with a Netbook.

    When I shopped and bought a LT, I chose a small cheap 14" LT over a
    netbook, because I wanted a large enough keyboard to suit me, and I
    wanted an optical drive. But my LT cost about $300 and no shipping;
    not nearly $900. I didn't want a well equipped LT; I wanted a cheap
    one. I have plenty of other computer hardware.

    I use the LT some traveling and I also use it wirelessly at home
    occasionally in a spot not configured for a 'real' computer station. I
    much much prefer desktop ergonomics.

    > The HP LT was less expensive than a
    > comparably configured Dell LT.

    Your comparable configurations are a lot of hardware.

    That LT is also going to eat battery time like mad because of how much
    resources it has and how much resources Vista uses.

    > What brought this about is my girlfriend gets by OK w/. a Macbook which I
    > find wanting.

    In terms of dollar value, many macbooks are actually a good deal --
    considering that Macs in general cost about 2-3x as much as comparable
    non-macs, and LTs generally cost about 3x as much as comparable DTs, but
    the Mac LT only costs 3-4x as much as a comparable nonmac DT instead of
    the 'natural' double multiple which should be at least 6-7x as much for
    a mac LT as a comparably equipped nonmac DT.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 2, 2010
  8. Sam

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 2, 3:58 pm, "Sam" <> wrote:
    > I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook.  My computer use is usually
    > 'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating some photos.
    >
    > I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the monitor,
    > external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the time.
    >
    > What do you think of this notebook?     I went to Dell site first but
    > couldn't configure a notebook that I likjed for a reasonable price.
    >
    > HP dv4i
    > Core i5-430M 2.26GHz
    > 512MB ATI Graphics
    > 5.2 lbs. Laptop
    > 6-Cell Battery
    > 802.11n
    > Integrated Webcam
    > 5-in-1 Card Reader
    > Item # 509430
    >
    > Processor & Memory:
    >
    >     * Intel Core i5-430M Processor  (2.26GHz)
    >     * 3MB L2 cache
    >     * 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    >
    > Drives:
    >
    >     * 500GB (7,200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    >     * SuperMulti 8x DVD R/RW drive with Double Layer Support
    >
    > Graphics & Video:
    >
    >     * 14.1" WXGA BrightView widescreen display; 1280 x 800 native resolution
    >     * 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550 Graphics
    >
    > Communications:
    >
    >     *
    >       Wireless-N Mini Card
    >     *
    >       Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    >
    > Audio:
    >
    >     * Built-in Altec Lansing speakers
    >
    > Keyboard:
    >
    >     * HP color matching keyboard
    >     * Touch Pad with on/off and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad
    >
    > Personalization:
    >
    >     * Color: Espresso Black
    >     * Integrated webcam
    >
    > Expandability:
    >
    >     * ExpressCard/54 Slot
    >
    > Ports:
    >
    >     * 3x USB 2.0 ports (one shared with eSATA port)
    >     * 1x HDMI
    >     * 1x RJ-45 (LAN)
    >     * 1x Notebook Expansion Port 3
    >     * 1x VGA
    >
    > Operating System:
    >
    >     * Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    >
    > Additional Software:
    >
    >     * Microsoft Works 9.0
    >     * Norton Internet Security (60 days complimentary live updates)
    >
    > Power Supply:
    >
    >     * 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery
    >     * 90W AC Adapter
    >
    > Additional Information:
    >
    >     * Approximate Weight: 5.2 lbs.
    >     * Dimensions: Approximately 13.15 W x 9.45" D x 1.34"~1.57" H

    Sam, reckon you have a stalker? :) <>

    sandy58, Mar 2, 2010
  9. Sam

    Guest

    >IOW, the choice is between value and portability.

    I have gone with desktop and netbook combo and feel
    that best!

    The ergonomics of using a laptop AS a desktop is just
    terrible really.

    I keep my desktop hooked to HDTV so that it can be used
    as media center..... but its also there for the heavy
    duty apps a netbook just can do such as Autocad, etc
    (I'm engineering student)

    And the netbook is perfect for on the go or sitting on
    porch or laying in bed

    And..... you COULD remote into your desktop with the
    netbook at home if needing the horsepower

    , Mar 2, 2010
  10. Sam

    Sam Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >>IOW, the choice is between value and portability.

    > I have gone with desktop and netbook combo and feel
    > that best!
    >
    > The ergonomics of using a laptop AS a desktop is just
    > terrible really.
    >
    > I keep my desktop hooked to HDTV so that it can be used
    > as media center..... but its also there for the heavy
    > duty apps a netbook just can do such as Autocad, etc
    > (I'm engineering student)
    >
    > And the netbook is perfect for on the go or sitting on
    > porch or laying in bed
    >
    > And..... you COULD remote into your desktop with the
    > netbook at home if needing the horsepower

    Which 'netbook do you have? If I remote into the DT I'm st ill limited by
    the NB RAM & CPU
    power unless I don't understand your setup.

    Sam, Mar 3, 2010
  11. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    Sam, reckon you have a stalker? :) <>

    Sandy, are you referring to the psychotic nut job OldgGringo?

    Sam, Mar 3, 2010
  12. Sam wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> IOW, the choice is between value and portability.

    >> I have gone with desktop and netbook combo and feel
    >> that best!
    >>
    >> The ergonomics of using a laptop AS a desktop is just
    >> terrible really.
    >>
    >> I keep my desktop hooked to HDTV so that it can be used
    >> as media center..... but its also there for the heavy
    >> duty apps a netbook just can do such as Autocad, etc
    >> (I'm engineering student)
    >>
    >> And the netbook is perfect for on the go or sitting on
    >> porch or laying in bed
    >>
    >> And..... you COULD remote into your desktop with the
    >> netbook at home if needing the horsepower

    > Which 'netbook do you have? If I remote into the DT I'm st ill
    > limited by the NB RAM & CPU
    > power unless I don't understand your setup.

    You're obviously trying to game over that connection.
    That'll be taxing the local (NB) GPU, ie - no go.

    Anything CPU-intensive'll be using the remote processor.

    For example: John Smith, Mar 3, 2010