Replacing old system

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alpine Dragon, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland would
    I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications (or
    similar specifications)?

    System Unit Only

    Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
    P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
    Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
    nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
    80GB SATA Seagate HDD
    Standard DVD-ROM

    If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

    No modem
    No monitor

    Commercial Offers also accepted through

    TIA

    Alpine Dragon, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Alpine Dragon

    Joy Guest

    "Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

    would
    > I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

    (or
    > similar specifications)?
    >

    > System Unit Only
    >
    > Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
    > P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
    > Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
    > nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
    > 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
    > Standard DVD-ROM
    >
    > If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

    Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to replace
    an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away? I'm
    thinking of replacing it with a portable.
    Joy

    Joy, Oct 12, 2003

  3. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:26:50 +1300, "Joy" <>
    scribbled:

    >"Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

    >would
    >> I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

    >(or
    >> similar specifications)?
    >>

    >> System Unit Only
    >>
    >> Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
    >> P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
    >> Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
    >> nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
    >> 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
    >> Standard DVD-ROM
    >>
    >> If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

    >Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to replace
    >an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away? I'm
    >thinking of replacing it with a portable.

    You could auction it on trademe and fetch a few hundred for it. Or
    even advertise it on nz.wanted.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Alpine Dragon

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f88f559$...

    > Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to

    replace
    > an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away?

    I'm
    > thinking of replacing it with a portable.
    > Joy

    Find a friend with young children who doesn't have/can't afford a PC. Give
    it to them. Or a family member. While you may be able to get a few hundred
    for the box, it is far more preferable to help someone else out.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Losers always whine about their 'best'.

    Mr Scebe, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Alpine Dragon

    Mr Scebe Guest

    > I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

    would
    > I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

    (or
    > similar specifications)?
    >

    > System Unit Only
    >
    > Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
    > P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
    > Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
    > nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
    > 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
    > Standard DVD-ROM
    >
    > If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card
    >
    > No modem
    > No monitor

    www.e-one.co.nz or
    www.compulink.co.nz

    I have found that they give the best service of any dealers. For price, it's
    hard to go past www.qmb.co.nz

    Mr Scebe, Oct 12, 2003
  6. Alpine Dragon

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f88f559$...

    > "Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

    > would
    > > I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

    > (or
    > > similar specifications)?
    > >

    > > System Unit Only
    > >
    > > Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
    > > P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
    > > Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
    > > nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
    > > 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
    > > Standard DVD-ROM
    > >
    > > If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

    > Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to

    replace
    > an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away?

    I'm
    > thinking of replacing it with a portable.
    > Joy

    For all that it's worth, it might still be more use to you to just hang onto
    it and use it into the ground as a second PC to your new PC. If you've had
    it from new it hurts to just damn near give it away, as it's not completely
    useless.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Alpine Dragon

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mr Scebe" wrote
    > While you may be able to get a few hundred
    > for the box, it is far more preferable to help someone else out.

    That depends on what your situation is.

    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003
  8. Alpine Dragon

    Allistar Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > "Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

    > would
    >> I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

    > (or
    >> similar specifications)?
    >>

    >> System Unit Only
    >>
    >> Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
    >> P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
    >> Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
    >> nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
    >> 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
    >> Standard DVD-ROM
    >>
    >> If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

    > Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to
    > replace
    > an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away?
    > I'm thinking of replacing it with a portable.
    > Joy

    Heh. My home machine (the one I am typing this into) is a P3 450 (with 384Mb
    and a 9Gb + 4Gb + 4Gb SCSI) and it suits me fine. The only thing I miss the
    processing power with is converting DV files taken from a video camera into
    SVCD format. It takes about 30 hours for one CD worth.

    I'll take your P3 500 CPU off you if you like :)

    Honestly though, I find a p3 450 more then adequate (except for the video
    editing).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 12, 2003
  9. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:26:50 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to replace
    > an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away? I'm
    > thinking of replacing it with a portable.
    > Joy

    Run it up as a firewall or put a big drive in it and used as a
    fileserver/print server.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 12, 2003
  10. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:19:48 +1300, Mr Scebe wrote:

    > Find a friend with young children who doesn't have/can't afford a PC. Give
    > it to them. Or a family member. While you may be able to get a few hundred
    > for the box, it is far more preferable to help someone else out.

    The going rate around here for old p2/3 systems is about $20

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 12, 2003
  11. Alpine Dragon

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:44:54 +0200, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:19:48 +1300, Mr Scebe wrote:
    >
    >> Find a friend with young children who doesn't have/can't afford a PC. Give
    >> it to them. Or a family member. While you may be able to get a few hundred
    >> for the box, it is far more preferable to help someone else out.

    >The going rate around here for old p2/3 systems is about $20

    I'll take ten.

    Bret, Oct 12, 2003
  12. Alpine Dragon

    KS Guest

    Alpine Dragon wrote:
    > I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland
    > would I find the best deal for the below box with the following
    > specifications (or similar specifications)?

    I've used www.etccomputers.co.nz in New Lynn a bit - they've been there a
    while and their prices seem ok. They have upgrade kits.

    KS, Oct 12, 2003
  13. Alpine Dragon

    Dogg Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:44:06 +0200, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:26:50 +1300, Joy wrote:
    >
    >> Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to replace
    >> an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away? I'm
    >> thinking of replacing it with a portable.
    >> Joy

    >Run it up as a firewall or put a big drive in it and used as a
    >fileserver/print server.

    And don't forget to run SETI on it :)

    Dogg, Oct 13, 2003
  14. Alpine Dragon

    Steven H Guest

    In article <3f88f559$>, says...

    > Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to replace
    > an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away?

    i will take it

    Steven H

    Steven H, Oct 14, 2003