Replacing Old Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tony ritter, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. tony ritter

    tony ritter Guest

    Using a Gateway G6-350 / Pentium II / 350mhz / Win98
    ----------

    Planning on purchasing a new CD-RW drive.

    ---------

    Should I unistall the original software that came with the computer (5 years
    old) which was:

    Adaptec Direct CD
    Adaptec Direct CD Reader
    Adaptec Easy CD Creator

    ---------------

    Or, will the new software which comes with the drive overwrite the existing
    software?

    Many thanks for your response.
    TR

    tony ritter, Oct 23, 2004

  2. tony ritter

    Ken Dennis Guest

    > Or, will the new software which comes with the drive overwrite the existing
    > software?

    TR,

    The new drive will probably come with it's own software, quite often nero,
    or roxio.. I would probably uninstall the old software. It's not hurting
    anything by being there, and might still work, but why not upgrade the
    software while you upgrade the hardware.

    --
    Ken Dennis
    http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net/

    Ken Dennis, Oct 23, 2004

  3. tony ritter

    tony ritter Guest

    Ken Dennis <> wrote in message:

    > The new drive will probably come with it's own software, quite often nero,
    > or roxio.. I would probably uninstall the old software. It's not hurting
    > anything by being there, and might still work, but why not upgrade the
    > software while you upgrade the hardware.

    --------------------

    I am considering a:

    Plextor 52x24x52 CD-RW Drive, Model PX-W5224TA/SW

    The drive comes with:

    Roxio Easy CD Creator
    Roxio DirectCD
    PlexTools
    Roxio PhotoSuite
    Dantz Retrospect

    Thank you.
    TR

    tony ritter, Oct 23, 2004
  4. tony ritter

    Ken Dennis Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:35:33 -0400, tony ritter wrote:

    > Ken Dennis <> wrote in message:
    >

    >> The new drive will probably come with it's own software, quite often nero,
    >> or roxio.. I would probably uninstall the old software. It's not hurting
    >> anything by being there, and might still work, but why not upgrade the
    >> software while you upgrade the hardware.

    > --------------------
    >
    > I am considering a:
    >
    > Plextor 52x24x52 CD-RW Drive, Model PX-W5224TA/SW

    Plextor drives are pretty good, but I think I would tend to but a DVD-RW
    now. They are quite cheap, and they serve the purpose of a CD-RW as well :)

    Ken Dennis, Oct 23, 2004
  5. tony ritter

    tony ritter Guest

    Ken Dennis <> wrote in message:

    > Plextor drives are pretty good, but I think I would tend to but a DVD-RW
    > now. They are quite cheap, and they serve the purpose of a CD-RW as well

    :)
    -----------

    Ken,

    I have a new SONY DVD-ROM 40X / CD-ROM [DDU1621] in Drive D.

    I'm looking to replace the CD-RW in Drive E and I'm not certain my PII /
    350mhz processor and win98 can handle a DVD-RW so I'll opt for the CD-RW in
    the lower drive.

    Best...
    TR

    tony ritter, Oct 23, 2004
  6. tony ritter

    James Hilton Guest

    "tony ritter" <> wrote in message
    > Using a Gateway G6-350 / Pentium II / 350mhz / Win98
    > ----------
    >
    > Planning on purchasing a new CD-RW drive.
    >
    > ---------
    >
    > Should I unistall the original software that came with the computer (5

    years
    > old) which was:
    >
    > Adaptec Direct CD
    > Adaptec Direct CD Reader
    > Adaptec Easy CD Creator
    >
    > ---------------
    >
    > Or, will the new software which comes with the drive overwrite the

    existing
    > software?
    >
    > Many thanks for your response.
    > TR

    Is that an HP7200 or close? I have an HP7200 in an old Pii machine running
    Nero Burning Rom 6 and it is almost as fast as a new drive would be in that
    machine. I have tested it with a new drive. Not a lot of difference.

    James Hilton, Oct 23, 2004
  7. tony ritter

    tony ritter Guest

    James Hilton <> wrote in message:

    > Is that an HP7200 or close? I have an HP7200 in an old Pii machine running
    > Nero Burning Rom 6 and it is almost as fast as a new drive would be in

    that
    > machine. I have tested it with a new drive. Not a lot of difference.

    James,
    The original CD / RW drive is that came with the computer five years ago is
    a :

    Philips CDD3610 CD-R/RW

    Best...
    TR