    both XP machines, but again, no changes are necessary to make the
    Netgear router work. Any ideas what I need to change in the Linksys
    router to make file and print sharing work???

    Wesley M. Hittle, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Wesley M. Hittle

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:26:12 -0600, Wesley M. Hittle <>
    wrote:

    >I am trying to replace an old Netgear DSL router (model MR814v2) with
    >a Linksys (model WRT54Gv8) due to some problems connecting to Hewlett
    >Packard VPN. The VPN connection now works, but my network file and
    >print sharing don't work with the Linksys router on two systems
    >running XP (two others running Windows 98 seem to work OK). I have
    >re-installed the Netgear router, and file and print sharing work with
    >NO settings change anywhere. I do have Symantec firewall installed on
    >both XP machines, but again, no changes are necessary to make the
    >Netgear router work. Any ideas what I need to change in the Linksys
    >router to make file and print sharing work???

    If you changed router brands, check the IP addresses used by the computers.
    Either you have some computers using IP addresses assigned by the other router
    (DHCP server), or your firewall (and Symantec firewall will do this) on each
    computer has to be updated to reflect the different IP addresses. Also, see if
    the Linksys has an "Isolation Mode", or other VLAN setting.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html

    --
    Cheers,