    know if I can use any notebook hard drive or do I absolutely have to
    get one from apple. Are they called sata 2.5" notebook hard drives?
    Thanks...

    Robert, Oct 21, 2007

  2. Robert wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking to get a better hard drive for my mac, and I'd like to
    > know if I can use any notebook hard drive or do I absolutely have to
    > get one from apple. Are they called sata 2.5" notebook hard drives?
    > Thanks...

    GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND DUMBASS.

    Paige D'Winter, Oct 23, 2007

  3. Robert

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:26:02 -0700, Paige D'Winter <> wrote:

    >Robert wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm looking to get a better hard drive for my mac, and I'd like to
    >> know if I can use any notebook hard drive or do I absolutely have to
    >> get one from apple. Are they called sata 2.5" notebook hard drives?
    >> Thanks...
    >>

    >GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND DUMBASS.

    Google is not your friend dumbarse.

    Use any notebook IDE drive.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    I do not represent atheists or atheism

    Barry OGrady, Oct 25, 2007
  4. Robert

    Dan Birchall Guest

    (Barry OGrady) wrote:
    > Paige D'Winter <> wrote:
    > >Robert wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >> I'm looking to get a better hard drive for my mac, and I'd like to
    > >> know if I can use any notebook hard drive or do I absolutely have to
    > >> get one from apple. Are they called sata 2.5" notebook hard drives?
    > >> Thanks...

    > >GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND DUMBASS.

    > Google is not your friend dumbarse.
    > Use any notebook IDE drive.
    > Barry

    Uh... Barry? You can't simply use "any notebook IDE drive" in a system
    that has - as Robert's message indicated - a Serial ATA connector. But
    I guess you didn't google... ;)

    Robert, your MacBook is going to want a SATA notebook HD, yes - but it
    should be a 9.5mm-high model. I don't even know whether anyone still
    makes the 12mm ones, but if they do, I don't know whether one would fit.

    I'm typing this on a year+ old MacBook which has a Toshiba MK8032GSX
    (http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/storage/english/spec/hdd/mk8032gsx.htm) HD
    which will give you a feel for some of the specs if you want to compare
    drives in your shopping.

    iFixit.com has excellent guides on doing all kinds of things to Macs;
    in your case you'll be wanting:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook/Hard-Drive-Replacement/86/5/

    Hope this helps.

    Dan Birchall, Oct 26, 2007