    on which to use.

    I also forgot where the hosts file is located! :()

    Help is greatly appreciated :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

    Sybil, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Sybil

    Guest

    Sybil <> wrote:

    >Someone awhile ago here was helping with a computer issue and
    >recommended that I replace the hosts file. It didn't fix the issue I had
    >but it did solve other annoyances (web bugs, ads and the like).
    >I did a web search to find a good host file replacement and am cautious
    >on which to use.
    >
    >I also forgot where the hosts file is located! :()
    >
    >Help is greatly appreciated :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

    Save as HOSTS, it goes in your
    WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    directory

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWf_CIz--88

    , Sep 20, 2006

  3. Sybil

    Sybil Guest

    wrote:
    > Sybil <> wrote:
    >
    >> Someone awhile ago here was helping with a computer issue and
    >> recommended that I replace the hosts file. It didn't fix the issue I had
    >> but it did solve other annoyances (web bugs, ads and the like).
    >> I did a web search to find a good host file replacement and am cautious
    >> on which to use.
    >>
    >> I also forgot where the hosts file is located! :()
    >>
    >> Help is greatly appreciated :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

    > http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts
    >
    > Save as HOSTS, it goes in your
    > WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    > directory

    It was you who helped me! Wow you're fast. You're like a computer speed
    angel!

    Thanks

    Sybil, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Sybil

    Guest

    Sybil <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Sybil <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Someone awhile ago here was helping with a computer issue and
    >>> recommended that I replace the hosts file. It didn't fix the issue I had
    >>> but it did solve other annoyances (web bugs, ads and the like).
    >>> I did a web search to find a good host file replacement and am cautious
    >>> on which to use.
    >>>
    >>> I also forgot where the hosts file is located! :()
    >>>
    >>> Help is greatly appreciated :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

    >> http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts
    >>
    >> Save as HOSTS, it goes in your
    >> WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    >> directory

    >It was you who helped me! Wow you're fast.

    Don't let it get around.

    > You're like a computer speed angel!

    Ya, I was in the area.

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWf_CIz--88

    , Sep 20, 2006
  5. Sybil

    richards Guest

    If the account is hosted on the linux server,
    >>>then the default directory where all the contents are uploaded is public_html

    If its windows server then

    richards, Sep 20, 2006
  6. wrote:

    > Sybil <> wrote:
    >>Someone awhile ago here was helping with a computer issue and
    >>recommended that I replace the hosts file. ...

    > Save as HOSTS, it goes in your
    > WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    > directory

    ...stressing that the file be saved with no file name extension. <g>
    Sometimes, using inferior editors such as Notepad, an extension may
    automatically be added.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  7. Sybil

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 20 Sep 2006 02:36:33 -0700, "richards" <> wrote:

    >If the account is hosted on the linux server,

    >If its windows server then

    Please learn to quote properly.

    Evan Platt, Sep 20, 2006
  8. Sybil

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Sybil - Take a look here for complete directions, as well as one of the
    better HOSTS files around: Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File,
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm Highly Recommended.

    Here's a little more info on the HOSTS issue which you may find of use:

    First, you should understand that the original purpose of the HOSTS file
    (BTW, it should always be named this way - all caps, no extension) was to
    provide a local (therefore fast) translation from the Domain Name portion of
    URLs to IP addresses for frequently visited sites (typically your
    Favorites). It can still be used this way (I do so, for example - there are
    utilities available such as CIP,
    http://dl.winsite.com/bin/downl?500000007704 which will convert your
    Favorites to IP's which you can then saveas and then copy into your HOSTS
    file), but has also come to be used to block ad/malware servers by
    redirecting them to your local machine instead of their servers using this
    same mechanism. See here for some good info about this use:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    This site also has downloads for some utility programs which you will find
    useful if you decide to use a HOSTS file such as RenHosts.bat,
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/RenHosts.bat, and lockhosts.bat and
    unlockhosts.bat, http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/lockhost.bat, and
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/unlockhost.bat. The lock and unlock files
    can be used to protect the HOSTS file in between UPDATES so that it doesn't
    get hijacked by malware, while the rename hosts program will allow you to
    easily enable or disable the HOSTS file (while keeping the correct naming
    convention). An even better approach IMO which I use is HostMan, here:
    http://www.abelhadigital.com/ which offers some other useful tools as well.

    As to size/performance - with any relatively modern computer the delay added
    by the HOSTS lookup overhead should be negligible for even moderately large
    HOSTS files (typically 250KB to 500KB) used for ad/malware blocking. If you
    use it also for DNS-to-IP caching as I referred to above, the time saved
    over going out to the net for DNS lookups will offset this many times. If
    fact you may notice some speedup in "normal" address browsing.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Sep 21, 2006
  9. Jim Byrd wrote:
    > Hi Sybil - Take a look here for complete directions, as well as one of the
    > better HOSTS files around: Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File,
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm Highly Recommended.
    >
    > Here's a little more info on the HOSTS issue which you may find of use:
    >

    > First, you should understand that the original purpose of the HOSTS file
    > (BTW, it should always be named this way - all caps, no extension) was to
    > provide a local (therefore fast) translation from the Domain Name portion of
    > URLs to IP addresses for frequently visited sites (typically your
    > Favorites). It can still be used this way (I do so, for example - there are
    > utilities available such as CIP,
    > http://dl.winsite.com/bin/downl?500000007704 which will convert your
    > Favorites to IP's which you can then saveas and then copy into your HOSTS
    > file), but has also come to be used to block ad/malware servers by
    > redirecting them to your local machine instead of their servers using this
    > same mechanism. See here for some good info about this use:
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >
    > This site also has downloads for some utility programs which you will find
    > useful if you decide to use a HOSTS file such as RenHosts.bat,
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/RenHosts.bat, and lockhosts.bat and
    > unlockhosts.bat, http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/lockhost.bat, and
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/unlockhost.bat. The lock and unlock files
    > can be used to protect the HOSTS file in between UPDATES so that it doesn't
    > get hijacked by malware, while the rename hosts program will allow you to
    > easily enable or disable the HOSTS file (while keeping the correct naming
    > convention). An even better approach IMO which I use is HostMan, here:
    > http://www.abelhadigital.com/ which offers some other useful tools as well.
    >
    > As to size/performance - with any relatively modern computer the delay added
    > by the HOSTS lookup overhead should be negligible for even moderately large
    > HOSTS files (typically 250KB to 500KB) used for ad/malware blocking. If you
    > use it also for DNS-to-IP caching as I referred to above, the time saved
    > over going out to the net for DNS lookups will offset this many times. If
    > fact you may notice some speedup in "normal" address browsing.

    Thanks Jim,

    That's actually the first one I found while doing a web search, I felt
    drawn to that site. I guess my "Higher Self" was directing me?
    Good site, thanks,

    Sibyl Tree

    Tree Air Freshener, Sep 21, 2006
  10. Sybil