Replacing Hdd in IBM Thinkpad 600.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however you can
    create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > I've experienced trickle down from my college daughter and have inherited
    > her IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. It's a PII 300 with 128Mb RAM, but only a
    > 5Gig 4200rpm Hdd. I've seen 2½" drives in the 20Gig range at 5400rpm
    > advertised as useable in any laptop for around $89.00. In my experience

    one
    > of the single biggest improvements in speed was going to a faster hard
    > drive, but I'm no notebook computer expert. Wasn't there a size problem
    > with older systems when moving to larger drives, or wouldn't that apply

    with

    JD, Apr 14, 2004

  2. JD

    Michael-NC Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however you

    can
    > create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

    Wrong!!!

    First, he may be taking about the physical size of the drive and second, you
    can't overcome a bios limitation by partitioning. How this oft spread piece
    of bullshit gets around so often is beyond me.

    Michael-NC, Apr 14, 2004

  3. JD

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:41:33 +0000, Michael-NC wrote:

    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however you

    > can
    >> create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

    > Wrong!!!
    >
    > First, he may be taking about the physical size of the drive and second, you
    > can't overcome a bios limitation by partitioning. How this oft spread piece
    > of bullshit gets around so often is beyond me.

    Being as this notebook isn't THAT old (BIOS date of 1999) should I expect
    a problem moving to a 20Gb Hdd? This was never a big deal in any of my
    desktop conversions, but like I said, I'm no notebook expert.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Apr 14, 2004
  4. JD

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in news:c5i3o0$mik$:

    > yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however
    > you can create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

    No, you can't. You are thinking of FAT16 having a limit of
    2.1GB/partition. There is a BIOS limitation at 8.4GB. If the BIOS can't
    see it, you can't partition around it.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 14, 2004
  5. JD

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    JTJersey <> wrote in

    > Being as this notebook isn't THAT old (BIOS date of 1999) should I expect
    > a problem moving to a 20Gb Hdd? This was never a big deal in any of my
    > desktop conversions, but like I said, I'm no notebook expert.

    It /shouldn't/ be, but you should check out the information on the BIOS
    from the maker's website before you plonk down the cash for it.

    JTJersey, Apr 14, 2004
  7. JD

    Plato Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > I've experienced trickle down from my college daughter and have inherited
    > her IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. It's a PII 300 with 128Mb RAM, but only a
    > 5Gig 4200rpm Hdd. I've seen 2½" drives in the 20Gig range at 5400rpm
    > advertised as useable in any laptop for around $89.00. In my experience one
    > of the single biggest improvements in speed was going to a faster hard
    > drive, but I'm no notebook computer expert. Wasn't there a size problem
    > with older systems when moving to larger drives, or wouldn't that apply with
    > this laptop?

    I know many PII 400s have a 32 gig drive bios limitation. If the PII 300
    was made about the same time the 20 gig should work as the bios's should
    be the same, relatively speaking. The next lower limit was 8.4 gigs I
    believe. Perhaps a call to HP will help.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 14, 2004
  8. JD

    Plato Guest

    JD wrote:

    > yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however you can
    > create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

    Not necessarily.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 14, 2004
  9. JD

    Plato Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > Being as this notebook isn't THAT old (BIOS date of 1999) should I expect
    > a problem moving to a 20Gb Hdd? This was never a big deal in any of my
    > desktop conversions, but like I said, I'm no notebook expert.

    From my experience, notebook technology generally lags behind desktops
    in regards to bios issues. In other words, the motherboards/bios's
    aren't updated as fast as desktop motherboards/bios's. The other thing
    to consider is brands. "cheap" brands tend to use way older bios's than
    "better" brands sold at the same time. That's one thing that's great
    about building clones ie you always [should] get the latest version of
    the motherboard you want to use. Motherboards have version numbers just
    like software does.

    Plato, Apr 14, 2004
  10. JD

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > > yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however
    > > you can create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

    > No, you can't. You are thinking of FAT16 having a limit of
    > 2.1GB/partition. There is a BIOS limitation at 8.4GB. If the BIOS can't
    > see it, you can't partition around it.

    There are actually two issues. #1 does the bios see the drive at all? eg
    the stock PII 400s we built way back when cant see a > 32 gig drive no
    matter what. The only solution was a bios flash. #2 the bios sees the
    drive but incorrectly. This _may_ be overcome with those special jumper
    settings and using the disk manager [overlay].

    Plato, Apr 14, 2004
  11. JD

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > JTJersey wrote:
    > >
    > > Being as this notebook isn't THAT old (BIOS date of 1999) should I

    expect
    > > a problem moving to a 20Gb Hdd? This was never a big deal in any of my
    > > desktop conversions, but like I said, I'm no notebook expert.

    > From my experience, notebook technology generally lags behind desktops
    > in regards to bios issues. In other words, the motherboards/bios's
    > aren't updated as fast as desktop motherboards/bios's. The other thing
    > to consider is brands. "cheap" brands tend to use way older bios's than
    > "better" brands sold at the same time. That's one thing that's great
    > about building clones ie you always [should] get the latest version of
    > the motherboard you want to use. Motherboards have version numbers just
    > like software does.

    I've actually had pretty decent luck with notebook BIOSes accepting newer
    drives, than desktop models. I've replaced a number of harddrives recently
    in laptops anywhere from 4-6 years old with 20GB replacement drives (the
    originals drives ranging from 4.3GB to 10GB) and have been lucky enough to
    not need a BIOS update yet. Knock on wood. :)

    Thor, Apr 14, 2004
  12. JD

    JD Guest

    "Motherboard Rom BIOSs have been updated thought the years to support larger
    and larger drives.
    BIOSs older than August 1994 are generally limited to drives of up to 528mb,
    whereas BIOSs older than January 1998 are generally limited to 8.4GB most
    BIOSs dated 1998 or newer support drives up to 137GB, and those dated
    September 2002 or newer should support drives larger than 137GB"

    "if your BIOS dose not support EDD (Drives over 8.4GB), three possible
    solutions are
    * Upgrade your motherboard BIOS
    * Install BIOS upgrade card, such as the ata pro flash
    *Install a software patch to add >8.5GB support"

    Upgrading and repairing PC's Page 518 ..

    yes I know before you start posting its a laptop .. but it should be a very
    similar process ..

    IS THIS CORRECT ENOUGH FOR YOU Michael-NC ??

    JD, Apr 14, 2004
  13. JD

    Michael-NC Guest

    That's _very_ different from what you previously posted and since you asked,
    yes, it's a laptop so you can't add a "BIOS upgrade card" otherwise known as
    a controller card. Bios flash, if available is the best solution.

    Michael-NC, Apr 14, 2004
  14. JD

    Mike Mundy Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in

    > I've experienced trickle down from my college daughter and have
    > inherited her IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. It's a PII 300 with 128Mb
    > RAM, but only a 5Gig 4200rpm Hdd. I've seen 2½" drives in the 20Gig
    > range at 5400rpm advertised as useable in any laptop for around

    Two years ago, I replaced the original HDD in my IBM Thinkpad 600E with a
    20gig drive purchased from Crucial.com for about $90.
    No problem whatsoever.
    Bear in mind that you must either havs some means of transferring
    everything from the old drive to the new or you must reinstall everything
    from scratch using the install CD for your OS of choice.
    In my case, I reinstalled Win98 from scratch. Time consuming but no
    problem.

    --
    Mike
    Suffern, NY