replacing graphics card cooling fan.....how?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    This cannot be the first time, so, my 4200ti graphics card's cooling fan
    has worn out, looks like it went "hard to turn" then burnt out as on
    close inspection is smells "burny"....wont go round anyway........

    Any ideas on getting a new fan or fan and cooler? Otherwise i need to
    jury rig something....which is always possible with some screws and
    glue.......

    This is the third card that I now own that has had its fan pack
    up....next time I think I will only get a video card with a passive
    sink....the quality of the fans must be crap.....so im out on $400 ~$700
    (each time) graphics cards because of a cheap fan.....

    :/

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 23, 2005

  2. thingy

  3. thingy

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:50:56 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >This cannot be the first time, so, my 4200ti graphics card's cooling fan
    > has worn out, looks like it went "hard to turn" then burnt out as on
    >close inspection is smells "burny"....wont go round anyway........
    >
    >Any ideas on getting a new fan or fan and cooler? Otherwise i need to
    >jury rig something....which is always possible with some screws and
    >glue.......
    >
    >This is the third card that I now own that has had its fan pack
    >up....next time I think I will only get a video card with a passive
    >sink....the quality of the fans must be crap.....so im out on $400 ~$700
    >(each time) graphics cards because of a cheap fan.....
    >
    >:/
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Jut Lube it...

    XP, Oct 23, 2005
  4. thingy

    gimp Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > This is the third card that I now own that has had its fan pack
    > up....next time I think I will only get a video card with a passive
    > sink....the quality of the fans must be crap.....so im out on $400 ~$700
    > (each time) graphics cards because of a cheap fan.....

    Arctic Cooling nvSilencer supposedly have better quality fans, they're
    both quieter and cooler solutions, not sure if they make them for Ti4200.

    gimp, Oct 23, 2005
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:50:56 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    >>This cannot be the first time, so, my 4200ti graphics card's cooling fan
    >> has worn out, looks like it went "hard to turn" then burnt out as on
    >>close inspection is smells "burny"....wont go round anyway........
    >>
    >>Any ideas on getting a new fan or fan and cooler? Otherwise i need to
    >>jury rig something....which is always possible with some screws and
    >>glue.......
    >>
    >>This is the third card that I now own that has had its fan pack
    >>up....next time I think I will only get a video card with a passive
    >>sink....the quality of the fans must be crap.....so im out on $400 ~$700
    >>(each time) graphics cards because of a cheap fan.....
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > Jut Lube it...

    I was going to but its burnt out, nasty burnt smell, no turny, open
    circuit...so its stuffed.

    :(

    I just lubed an old tnt2 ultra, that is why Im on line.....

    :/

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 23, 2005
  6. thingy

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:28:08 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:50:56 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>This cannot be the first time, so, my 4200ti graphics card's cooling fan
    >>> has worn out, looks like it went "hard to turn" then burnt out as on
    >>>close inspection is smells "burny"....wont go round anyway........
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas on getting a new fan or fan and cooler? Otherwise i need to
    >>>jury rig something....which is always possible with some screws and
    >>>glue.......
    >>>
    >>>This is the third card that I now own that has had its fan pack
    >>>up....next time I think I will only get a video card with a passive
    >>>sink....the quality of the fans must be crap.....so im out on $400 ~$700
    >>>(each time) graphics cards because of a cheap fan.....
    >>>
    >>>:/
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing

    >> Jut Lube it...
    >>

    >I was going to but its burnt out, nasty burnt smell, no turny, open
    >circuit...so its stuffed.

    :mad:

    >I just lubed an old tnt2 ultra, that is why Im on line.....
    >
    >:/
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    you can't measure them as they are transistor driven and on most cases do not
    burn out, these are brushless motors..

    There is a firm in the US that does fans for most of these cards..

    Do you wish me to post the link.,.?

    XP, Oct 23, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    y says...
    > This cannot be the first time, so, my 4200ti graphics card's cooling fan
    > has worn out, looks like it went "hard to turn" then burnt out as on
    > close inspection is smells "burny"....wont go round anyway........
    >
    > Any ideas on getting a new fan or fan and cooler? Otherwise i need to
    > jury rig something....which is always possible with some screws and
    > glue.......
    >
    > This is the third card that I now own that has had its fan pack
    > up....next time I think I will only get a video card with a passive
    > sink....the quality of the fans must be crap.....so im out on $400 ~$700
    > (each time) graphics cards because of a cheap fan.....
    >
    > :/
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I had a fan pack up on a brand new ATI based card, and I was sent a
    replacement fan by the distributors. So they are available.

    I just put it on the original heatsink, and then went to look for
    another solution: for around 50 bucks you can get alternatives.

    something like this:
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=335168
    or this:
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=198497

    I've got the latter for my 9600 XT and it works a treat - the huge
    heatsinks barely get more than warm to the touch. If I ever sell the
    card, the original h/sink will go back on, and I'll keep this sucker for
    the next one. While I am waffling on:
    I got an arctic cooling one first, but they are a lot more difficult to
    fit; capacitors may get in the way or the spacings for the ram may be
    off (both in my case), the Zalman one has independent ram coolers and a
    mounting block for the gpu resulting in a lot less compatibility stress.
    Needs a lot more thermal compound, though :)

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 23, 2005
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > y says...
    >
    >>This cannot be the first time, so, my 4200ti graphics card's cooling fan
    >> has worn out, looks like it went "hard to turn" then burnt out as on
    >>close inspection is smells "burny"....wont go round anyway........
    >>
    >>Any ideas on getting a new fan or fan and cooler? Otherwise i need to
    >>jury rig something....which is always possible with some screws and
    >>glue.......
    >>
    >>This is the third card that I now own that has had its fan pack
    >>up....next time I think I will only get a video card with a passive
    >>sink....the quality of the fans must be crap.....so im out on $400 ~$700
    >>(each time) graphics cards because of a cheap fan.....
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    > I had a fan pack up on a brand new ATI based card, and I was sent a
    > replacement fan by the distributors. So they are available.
    >
    > I just put it on the original heatsink, and then went to look for
    > another solution: for around 50 bucks you can get alternatives.
    >
    > something like this:
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=335168
    > or this:
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=198497
    >
    > I've got the latter for my 9600 XT and it works a treat - the huge
    > heatsinks barely get more than warm to the touch. If I ever sell the
    > card, the original h/sink will go back on, and I'll keep this sucker for
    > the next one. While I am waffling on:
    > I got an arctic cooling one first, but they are a lot more difficult to
    > fit; capacitors may get in the way or the spacings for the ram may be
    > off (both in my case), the Zalman one has independent ram coolers and a
    > mounting block for the gpu resulting in a lot less compatibility stress.
    > Needs a lot more thermal compound, though :)
    >
    > -Peter

    I got a "copper" one from DSE at $20....but I think the GPU was damaged
    because it is still faulty even with "proper" cooling...

    regads

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 23, 2005
  9. thingy

    thingy Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:28:08 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    >>XP wrote:

    >>>Jut Lube it...
    >>>

    >>I was going to but its burnt out, nasty burnt smell, no turny, open
    >>circuit...so its stuffed.
    >>
    >:mad:
    >>
    >>I just lubed an old tnt2 ultra, that is why Im on line.....
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    > you can't measure them as they are transistor driven and on most cases do not
    > burn out, these are brushless motors..
    >
    > There is a firm in the US that does fans for most of these cards..
    >
    > Do you wish me to post the link.,.?

    nope card's gpu is fried....I need a new one...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 23, 2005
  10. thingy

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > I got a "copper" one from DSE at $20....but I think the GPU was damaged
    > because it is still faulty even with "proper" cooling...

    I have used my ati for about a year with no fan on it because it packed up -
    mind you I never use 3d on this machine so its hardly ever taxed, Just got it so
    I could get 32 bit colour at a decent res which the onboard wouldnt.

    Richard, Oct 23, 2005
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> I got a "copper" one from DSE at $20....but I think the GPU was
    >> damaged because it is still faulty even with "proper" cooling...

    > I have used my ati for about a year with no fan on it because it packed
    > up - mind you I never use 3d on this machine so its hardly ever taxed,
    > Just got it so I could get 32 bit colour at a decent res which the
    > onboard wouldnt.

    I have been chasing a wierd symptom for several months, previously
    stable video games crashed and windows also occasionally crashed, Linux
    was steady so I nver really bothered, only when I went into 3d or heavy
    use did it occur.....guess it was just cool enough until it jumped into
    3d mode....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 24, 2005
  12. In message <>, thingy wrote:

    > I have been chasing a wierd symptom for several months, previously
    > stable video games crashed and windows also occasionally crashed, Linux
    > was steady so I nver really bothered, only when I went into 3d or heavy
    > use did it occur.....guess it was just cool enough until it jumped into
    > 3d mode....

    That is why you should run KDE 3.4 and turn on all the OpenGL eye candy. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2005