    needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the fan(s) are due
    for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
    Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

    Wellygoggles, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Wellygoggles wrote:
    > Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
    > Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

    Depending on the fan, it is fairly easy to do.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Wellygoggles

    EMB Guest

    "Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    > It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and it
    > hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are due to
    > overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years before
    > needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the fan(s) are

    due
    > for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
    > Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

    You'd better talk to Roger Sheppard about this. Apparently he's an real
    electrician, registered and all, and as such is qualified to delve into
    power supplies and fit new fans. Judging by your email address you're
    probably not far from Roger so it should be easy to get him to do the job
    for you and sign off a Certificate of Compliance for the work.

    EMB

    EMB, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Wellygoggles

    Chris Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in news:buftb6$l99$:

    > "Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    >> It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC
    >> and it hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups
    >> are due to overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2
    >> years before needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps
    >> the fan(s) are

    > due
    >> for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
    >> Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>

    > You'd better talk to Roger Sheppard about this. Apparently he's an
    > real electrician, registered and all, and as such is qualified to
    > delve into power supplies and fit new fans. Judging by your email
    > address you're probably not far from Roger so it should be easy to get
    > him to do the job for you and sign off a Certificate of Compliance for
    > the work.
    >
    > EMB

    OK, I know your joking but I wonder if this lady is thinking the same ? I
    wonder if this lady knows who Roger Sheppard (Sheperd) is ? OK, for all I
    know she could be a he and is really just trolling. Hell, she could even
    be wogger. Are you really that desprate to bait wogger that you feel the
    need to hyjack a seamingly inocient by stander ?

    (and bugger the spelling, you know what I mean, eh ;)

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Wellygoggles

    Chris Guest

    "Wellygoggles" <> wrote in

    > It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and
    > it hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are
    > due to overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years
    > before needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the
    > fan(s) are due for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it
    > need to go to PC Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

    You might like to try cleaning out the inside of the case first - turn it
    off first though. It's amazing the amount of dust that the fans actually
    suck in. Use a vacumcleaner and a natural haired brush to loosen the dust
    etc and hold the vacumcleaner nozzle to suck out what you loosen with the
    brush. A 2" paint brush works well. Make sure it's a natural haired brush
    as a nylon one etc will most likely cause a build up of static electricity
    which could cause it's own damage.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Wellygoggles

    E. Guest

    Wellygoggles wrote:

    > It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and it
    > hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are due to
    > overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years before
    > needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the fan(s) are due
    > for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
    > Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

    Depends on the fan. If it's a motherboard, video card or case fan it is
    no more than just a fee screws and a power plug.
    If it is the power supply fan, replace the power supply. It is easy - a
    few screws and plugs.
    Do *not* open a power supply if you don't have electrical registration.
    E.

    E., Jan 19, 2004
  7. Steve Robertson wrote:
    > Too many 14 year olds with PC access I guess.(sarcasm)

    School holidays finish in a week or so.(no sarcasm)

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Wellygoggles

    Wellygoggles Guest

    I know Woger is a troll here and u dudes despise him, but hey, I am really
    Mrs Average in
    Miramar (OK at a pinch I call myself a Domestic Goddess) but dudes, ya need
    to lighten up and help us net-virgins ok???????
    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:5WLOb.16837$...

    Wellygoggles, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Wellygoggles

    Wellygoggles Guest

    thanks all true men and good

    <> wrote:
    > >It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and it
    > >hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are due to
    > >overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years before

    > Only usually need to replace the fans if thay are noisey or DEAD
    > Set the CPU temp alarm in the bios & see what happens. If the CPU is

    overheating
    > replace the heatsink & fan & make sure there is good airflow around it (ie

    no IDE cable sitting on

    Wellygoggles, Jan 19, 2004

    Steve Robertson, Jan 19, 2004
  11. In article
    >be wogger. Are you really that desprate to bait wogger that you feel the
    >need to hyjack a seamingly inocient by stander ?

    Yeah, all this pointless baiting & endless abuse is destroying the NG experience.
    If there was even a bit of sarcasm or humor in the baiting/abuse it wouldnt be so bad.
    Too many 14 year olds with PC access I guess.(sarcasm)

    Steve Robertson, Jan 19, 2004
  12. Wellygoggles

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > In article <KbKOb.17933$>, "Wellygoggles"
    > <> wrote:
    >> It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC
    >> and it hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups
    >> are due to overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2
    >> years before

    > Only usually need to replace the fans if thay are noisey or DEAD
    > Set the CPU temp alarm in the bios & see what happens. If the CPU is
    > overheating
    > replace the heatsink & fan & make sure there is good airflow around
    > it (ie no IDE cable sitting on top of it) While you are looking check
    > for buldging/leaking capacitors

    Probably no need to replace the heatsink and fan, not a job for beginners.
    Just unscrew (or un-clip) the fan from the CPU heatsink and brush the dust
    out with a paintbrush, then re-attach and check that it is spinning. DON'T
    remove the heatsink from the CPU.

    If it hasn't been cleaned for three years it's bound to be full of dust,
    especially if it's on the floor.

    Also, a general dusting of the case is a good idea, concentrate on the slots
    in the PSU and the bottom front of the case where most of the cool air
    should be coming in.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 19, 2004
  13. Wellygoggles

    Wellygoggles Guest

    you blokes and blokettes astound me with your help, many thanks, will try
    all suggestions and thanx again from Mrs Average :)))))

    Wellygoggles, Jan 19, 2004
  14. Wellygoggles

    steve Guest

    Power troubles.... ?? Re: Replacing Fans - Is it difficult?

    Wellygoggles wrote:

    > It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and it
    > hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are due to
    > overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years before
    > needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the fan(s) are
    > due
    > for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
    > Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

    There have been lockups on systems all over the lower North island.

    One explanation is that there have been power 'brown outs' on the link from
    the South Island......causing PCs trouble.

    I know here at my house, I have seen systems behave very flakily......for
    several hours......then inexplicably come right for hours - or days....then
    start locking up again.

    I even went to the trouble of replacing virtually all parts in one system -
    and concluding it had to be something wrong with the power.....because it
    didn't matter what hardware I used, the computer occupying that physical
    space wouldn't work reliably.

    I then changed the power arrangements so that the systems concerned were
    evenly balanced between two separate circuits....and it made no difference.

    This lead me to conclude it had to be something to do with the power coming
    in from outside.

    steve, Jan 19, 2004
  15. In article <_eNOb.17959$>,
    says...
    > you blokes and blokettes astound me with your help, many thanks, will try
    > all suggestions and thanx again from Mrs Average :)))))

    Any relation to Dame Edna and Norm?

    ;^P -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jan 19, 2004
  16. Wellygoggles

    The Hobbit Guest

    > I know Woger is a troll here and u dudes despise him, but hey, I am really
    > Mrs Average in
    > Miramar (OK at a pinch I call myself a Domestic Goddess) but dudes, ya

    need
    > to lighten up and help us net-virgins ok???????

    <Snip>

    What? - We're allowed to net virgins again! - I thought after what happened
    last time the court would take a very dim view on this kind of practise...
    I'm off to get my huntin' gear! ;)

    But again seriously:
    a) You're top-posting which is a USENET no no - you should post your
    replies under the part of the message you're replying to and snip everything
    else which doesn't lend contect to your reply or that of the message you're
    replying too.
    b) It depends which fans you're talking about
    - Case fans are by and large very easy to swap out, just ensure
    you're taking all static discharge precautions when working on the inside of
    youre PC - if you're unsure what this means you may be better off bribing a
    local geek to do this for you. Coke and wine gums work well for me...
    - PSU fans are best left to someone who knows what they're doing and
    can sign off the work
    - CPU fans are also tricky - depending on your CPU heatsink you may
    be able to simply switch the fan on top - otherwise you're probably looking
    at getting a new heatsink and fan - and then you're messing with cleaning
    the heat transfer goop off the CPU and putting new stuff on, attacking the
    new heatsink with out cracking the CPU and or putting a screwdriver through
    your mainboard.
    - Soccer fans are also very noisy and annoying but they have little
    to do with this subject - and they'll crap on for HOURS about how they're
    not Soccer fans, they're FOOTBALL supporters. Bloody satin wearing
    poofters.

    The Hobbit, Jan 19, 2004
  17. On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:34:31 GMT, "E." <> wrote:

    >Depends on the fan. If it's a motherboard, video card or case fan it is
    >no more than just a fee screws and a power plug.
    >If it is the power supply fan, replace the power supply. It is easy - a
    >few screws and plugs.
    >Do *not* open a power supply if you don't have electrical registration.
    >E.

    Your last line is not correct.

    If the computer is owned by yourself or a close relative (which is
    defined in the Act) and it is used principally for domestic purposes
    then you are legally entitled to open and repair the power supply. See
    section 111 of the Electricity Act which can be seen at
    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/

    Whether you are competent to do the work safely is for you to decide.

    NZECP 50:1993 Repair of domestic electrical equipment is available at
    http://www.ess.govt.nz/rules/rules_codes.asp

    and gives advice on safe working and testing.

    Electrical Registration is required if the work is being done for
    payment or reward.

    Regards
    Malcolm.

    Malcolm Moore, Jan 19, 2004
  18. On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:27:36 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > Only usually need to replace the fans if thay are noisey or DEAD

    Usually they get really noisy, so you decide to do something, but then
    they go quiet - so you forget it.

    Problem is that they've gone quiet because they stopped.

    Rather than farting round with monitors, the first step is to actually
    look at the fans to see if they're spinning....

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 19, 2004
  19. On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:06:29 +1300, Malcolm Moore wrote:

    >>Do *not* open a power supply if you don't have electrical registration.

    > Your last line is not correct.
    >
    > If the computer is owned by yourself or a close relative (which is
    > defined in the Act) and it is used principally for domestic purposes
    > then you are legally entitled to open and repair the power supply.

    Most PSU fan leads are soldered in, so opening them and replacing the
    things is beyond the average user's ability.

    A _good_ PSU is worth repairing the fan. A cheap one will cost you more in
    labour costs than a replacement - and if you are replacing, get a good
    one, as the fans last longer.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 19, 2004
  20. Re: Power troubles.... ?? Re: Replacing Fans - Is it difficult?

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:52:24 +1300, steve wrote:

    > One explanation is that there have been power 'brown outs' on the link from
    > the South Island......causing PCs trouble.

    Uh, the first thing that happens inside a computer PSU is a bloody big
    rectifier and smoothing capacitor to produce ~300VDC. They can handle
    outages around 1/10 second with no problem as a rule.

    If you think this is a problem, invest in a UPS. :)

    > I even went to the trouble of replacing virtually all parts in one system -
    > and concluding it had to be something wrong with the power.....

    Or the power supply.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 19, 2004