replacing epson inkjet cartridges

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dennis, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    epson tells users that once an inkjet cartridge has been removed from the
    printer, it cannot be reused, even if it brand new. A new cartridge must be
    inserted because the old one will no longer work.

    can anyone claim that they have removed a cartridge, then put it back, and
    still had a properly functioning epson printer? in my case, a black ink
    cartridge for an epson stylus color 800.

    I have seen companies that sell cleaning cartridges for epson printers.
    they look exactly like the ink cartridges, but have a special cleaning
    solution inside, instead of ink. the solution is also dyed. The cartridges
    can be used several times, to clean several printers, or one printer several
    times. This contradicts epson's statement about having to replace even a
    slightly used cartridge once it has been removed from the printer.

    dennis

    Dennis, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Dennis

    Maybe Guest

    Dennis wrote:
    > epson tells users that once an inkjet cartridge has been removed from the
    > printer, it cannot be reused, even if it brand new. A new cartridge must be
    > inserted because the old one will no longer work.
    >
    > can anyone claim that they have removed a cartridge, then put it back, and
    > still had a properly functioning epson printer? in my case, a black ink
    > cartridge for an epson stylus color 800.
    >
    > I have seen companies that sell cleaning cartridges for epson printers.
    > they look exactly like the ink cartridges, but have a special cleaning
    > solution inside, instead of ink. the solution is also dyed. The cartridges
    > can be used several times, to clean several printers, or one printer several
    > times. This contradicts epson's statement about having to replace even a
    > slightly used cartridge once it has been removed from the printer.
    >
    > dennis

    Dennis -- I'm not an Epson user. The reason I'm not is for the specific
    reason that you cite. I'm assured that the cartridge contains a chip
    which is activated at install and prohibits reactivation at attempts to
    reinstall. Since the "cleaning" cartridge that you describe would not
    have such a chip, makes sense that it can be removed and reinstalled.
    By the way, I also am made to understand that you can buy a "device"
    that will override the buried chip.

    Maybe, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Dennis

    Chas Guest

    "Dennis" <> wrote in message
    > epson tells users that once an inkjet cartridge has been removed from the
    > printer, it cannot be reused, even if it brand new. A new cartridge must
    > be inserted because the old one will no longer work.
    >
    > can anyone claim that they have removed a cartridge, then put it back, and
    > still had a properly functioning epson printer? in my case, a black ink
    > cartridge for an epson stylus color 800.
    >
    > I have seen companies that sell cleaning cartridges for epson printers.
    > they look exactly like the ink cartridges, but have a special cleaning
    > solution inside, instead of ink. the solution is also dyed. The
    > cartridges can be used several times, to clean several printers, or one
    > printer several times. This contradicts epson's statement about having to
    > replace even a slightly used cartridge once it has been removed from the
    > printer.
    >
    > dennis

    Hi
    You could try this

    http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    Chas

    Chas, Aug 29, 2005
  4. "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    > Dennis wrote:
    >> epson tells users that once an inkjet cartridge has been removed from the
    >> printer, it cannot be reused, even if it brand new. A new cartridge must
    >> be inserted because the old one will no longer work.
    >>
    >> can anyone claim that they have removed a cartridge, then put it back,
    >> and still had a properly functioning epson printer? in my case, a black
    >> ink cartridge for an epson stylus color 800.
    >>
    >> I have seen companies that sell cleaning cartridges for epson printers.
    >> they look exactly like the ink cartridges, but have a special cleaning
    >> solution inside, instead of ink. the solution is also dyed. The
    >> cartridges can be used several times, to clean several printers, or one
    >> printer several times. This contradicts epson's statement about having
    >> to replace even a slightly used cartridge once it has been removed from
    >> the printer.

    >> Usenet News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    >> Newsgroups
    >> =----

    > Dennis -- I'm not an Epson user. The reason I'm not is for the specific
    > reason that you cite. I'm assured that the cartridge contains a chip
    > which is activated at install and prohibits reactivation at attempts to
    > reinstall. Since the "cleaning" cartridge that you describe would not
    > have such a chip, makes sense that it can be removed and reinstalled. By
    > the way, I also am made to understand that you can buy a "device" that
    > will override the buried chip.

    I use Canon printers - no fuss, the cartridges are just tanks of ink, none
    of this replacing the print head each time, or chips inside.

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Aug 29, 2005
  5. Dennis

    EricP Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:07:59 -0400, "Dennis" <>
    muttered and said:

    >epson tells users that once an inkjet cartridge has been removed from the
    >printer, it cannot be reused, even if it brand new. A new cartridge must be
    >inserted because the old one will no longer work.
    >
    >can anyone claim that they have removed a cartridge, then put it back, and
    >still had a properly functioning epson printer? in my case, a black ink
    >cartridge for an epson stylus color 800.
    >
    >I have seen companies that sell cleaning cartridges for epson printers.
    >they look exactly like the ink cartridges, but have a special cleaning
    >solution inside, instead of ink. the solution is also dyed. The cartridges
    >can be used several times, to clean several printers, or one printer several
    >times. This contradicts epson's statement about having to replace even a
    >slightly used cartridge once it has been removed from the printer.

    You can either get a chip reprogrammer from an ink supplier or simply
    keep a few old tanks about, the machine has a small memory for chip
    number, it only remember the previous three from old memory. So you
    just stick dummy tanks in until it *forgets* the new one and accepts
    it.

    Alternatively, just forget Epson and get a Canon that doesn't bother
    with such foolishness.

    EricP, Aug 30, 2005
  6. Dennis

    Shep© Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:07:59 -0400 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
    Sheep and then "Dennis" <> wrote :

    >epson tells users that once an inkjet cartridge has been removed from the
    >printer, it cannot be reused, even if it brand new. A new cartridge must be
    >inserted because the old one will no longer work.

    They will say that as they make crap printers and drivers.

    >can anyone claim that they have removed a cartridge, then put it back, and
    >still had a properly functioning epson printer? in my case, a black ink
    >cartridge for an epson stylus color 800.

    Yep.Get cheapy ones,
    http://www.eezytrade.co.uk/

    >I have seen companies that sell cleaning cartridges for epson printers.

    Rip-off merchants.

    >they look exactly like the ink cartridges, but have a special cleaning
    >solution inside, instead of ink. the solution is also dyed.

    BS

    >The cartridges
    >can be used several times, to clean several printers, or one printer several
    >times. This contradicts epson's statement about having to replace even a
    >slightly used cartridge once it has been removed from the printer.
    >
    >dennis

    By cheapy and as soon as poss get a,"Canon" printer ;-)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Aug 31, 2005