Replacing CMOS battery - need visual Step-By-Step

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ed, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
    need of a new CMOS battery.
    Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop, the
    user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.

    I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
    cleared.

    What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
    changing the battery.
    This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
    monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the
    proper instruction and some pictures, he should be able to handle this task.
    If not then I go to "Plan B" (whatever that is).

    I understand the battery will be in different places on different MB's but
    he should be able to recognize it.

    Anyway.... do any of you regulars know where I can find a step-by-step with
    illustrations (so I don't have to make one myself)?

    TIA

    Ed

    Ed, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Ed

    olfart Guest

    "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
    > need of a new CMOS battery.
    > Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

    the
    > user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
    >
    > I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
    > cleared.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
    > changing the battery.
    > This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
    > monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the
    > proper instruction and some pictures, he should be able to handle this

    task.
    > If not then I go to "Plan B" (whatever that is).
    >
    > I understand the battery will be in different places on different MB's but
    > he should be able to recognize it.
    >
    > Anyway.... do any of you regulars know where I can find a step-by-step

    with
    > illustrations (so I don't have to make one myself)?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ed

    Did he get an instruction book with the machine? Many times there is a
    section in there on replacing the battery.

    olfart, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Ed

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:35:48 GMT, Ed wrote:

    >I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
    >need of a new CMOS battery.
    >Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop, the
    >user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
    >
    >I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
    >cleared.
    >
    >What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
    >changing the battery.

    Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
    search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
    change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.

    Try looking for 'guide change cmos battery'

    Pictures of cmos battery
    http://images.google.com/

    >This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
    >monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Ed

    Ed Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is

    in
    > > need of a new CMOS battery.
    > > Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

    > the
    > > user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
    > >
    > > I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
    > > cleared.
    > >
    > > What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
    > > changing the battery.
    > > This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
    > > monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the
    > > proper instruction and some pictures, he should be able to handle this

    > task.
    > > If not then I go to "Plan B" (whatever that is).
    > >
    > > I understand the battery will be in different places on different MB's

    but
    > > he should be able to recognize it.
    > >
    > > Anyway.... do any of you regulars know where I can find a step-by-step

    > with
    > > illustrations (so I don't have to make one myself)?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Ed
    > >

    > Did he get an instruction book with the machine? Many times there is a
    > section in there on replacing the battery.

    No, VERY old system. I'll defer to "Why?" and get back to googl'ing.

    Ed, Sep 25, 2003
  5. Ed

    Ed Guest

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:35:48 GMT, Ed wrote:
    >
    > >I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
    > >need of a new CMOS battery.
    > >Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

    the
    > >user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
    > >
    > >I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
    > >cleared.
    > >
    > >What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
    > >changing the battery.

    > Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
    > search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
    > change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.
    >
    > Try looking for 'guide change cmos battery'
    >
    > Pictures of cmos battery
    > http://images.google.com/
    >

    > >This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
    > >monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the

    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six screws
    on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not a
    flat screwdriver." etc.

    I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
    start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
    there.

    Thx again.

    Ed, Sep 25, 2003
  6. Ed

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ed said:

    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:35:48 GMT, Ed wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
    >>> need of a new CMOS battery.
    >>> Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop, the
    >>> user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
    >>>
    >>> I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
    >>> cleared.
    >>>
    >>> What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
    >>> changing the battery.

    >> Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
    >> search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
    >> change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.
    >>
    >> Try looking for 'guide change cmos battery'
    >>
    >> Pictures of cmos battery
    >> http://images.google.com/
    >>

    >>> This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
    >>> monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    > Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six screws
    > on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not a
    > flat screwdriver." etc.
    >
    > I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
    > start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
    > there.
    >
    > Thx again.

    If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to cope with
    handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to factory default after
    removing the CMOS battery?

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  7. Ed

    Ed Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Ed said:
    >
    > > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    in

    shop, the

    is

    > >> Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
    > >> search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
    > >> change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.
    > >>
    > >> Try looking for 'guide change cmos battery'
    > >>
    > >> Pictures of cmos battery
    > >> http://images.google.com/

    the
    > >> <snip>
    > >>
    > >> Me

    > > Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six

    screws
    > > on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not

    > > flat screwdriver." etc.
    > >
    > > I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
    > > start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
    > > there.
    > >
    > > Thx again.

    > If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to cope

    with
    > handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to factory default after
    > removing the CMOS battery?

    I'm praying for a miracle and that he will replace it QUICKLY.

    This guy also lost the START button in Windows98. Took me an hour to find it
    over the phone.

    Ed, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Ed

    Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:56:27 GMT, "Ed"
    <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is

    >in
    >> > need of a new CMOS battery.
    >> > Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

    >> the
    >> > user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
    >> >
    >> > I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
    >> > cleared.
    >> >
    >> > What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
    >> > changing the battery.
    >> > This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
    >> > monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the
    >> > proper instruction and some pictures, he should be able to handle this

    >> task.
    >> > If not then I go to "Plan B" (whatever that is).
    >> >
    >> > I understand the battery will be in different places on different MB's

    >but
    >> > he should be able to recognize it.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway.... do any of you regulars know where I can find a step-by-step

    >> with
    >> > illustrations (so I don't have to make one myself)?
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> >
    >> > Ed
    >> >

    >> Did he get an instruction book with the machine? Many times there is a
    >> section in there on replacing the battery.
    >>

    >No, VERY old system. I'll defer to "Why?" and get back to googl'ing.

    HP have a very good guide under its support section.

    BillH
    Cornwall, UK.

    , Sep 25, 2003
  9. Ed

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ed said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Ed said:
    >>
    >>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six screws
    >>> on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not a
    >>> flat screwdriver." etc.
    >>>
    >>> I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
    >>> start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> Thx again.

    >> If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to cope with
    >> handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to factory default after
    >> removing the CMOS battery?
    >>

    > I'm praying for a miracle and that he will replace it QUICKLY.

    I read people saying that you need to leave the CMOS battery out for 30 seconds
    to 1 minute to clear CMOS, yet on every pc I have replaced the battery on, the
    CMOS was cleared within a couple of seconds, and certainly by the time I swapped
    the new one in, even doing it quickly.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Ed

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Ed said:
    >
    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>> If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to cope with
    >>> handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to factory default after
    >>> removing the CMOS battery?
    >>>

    >> I'm praying for a miracle and that he will replace it QUICKLY.

    > I read people saying that you need to leave the CMOS battery out for 30
    > seconds to 1 minute to clear CMOS, yet on every pc I have replaced the
    > battery on, the CMOS was cleared within a couple of seconds, and certainly by
    > the time I swapped the new one in, even doing it quickly.

    BIOS :-S

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  11. Ed

    Ed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:56:27 GMT, "Ed"
    > <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"olfart" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in message

    is
    > >in

    shop,
    > >> the

    is

    for

    the

    this
    > >> task.

    MB's
    > >but

    step-by-step
    > >> with

    > >> Did he get an instruction book with the machine? Many times there is a
    > >> section in there on replacing the battery.
    > >>

    > >No, VERY old system. I'll defer to "Why?" and get back to googl'ing.
    > >

    > HP have a very good guide under its support section.
    >
    > BillH
    > Cornwall, UK.

    Thanks Bill.... funny you should mention that! I'm currently in a battle
    with HP tech support regarding a personal printer.
    You're all invited to read along at http://www.geocities.com/hptechsucks

    (and as a bonus I'm able to permanently archive my concerns via this
    newsgroup)

    Ed, Sep 25, 2003
  12. Ed

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ed said:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:56:27 GMT, "Ed"
    >> <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "olfart" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, VERY old system. I'll defer to "Why?" and get back to googl'ing.
    >>>

    >> HP have a very good guide under its support section.
    >>
    >> BillH
    >> Cornwall, UK.

    > Thanks Bill.... funny you should mention that! I'm currently in a battle
    > with HP tech support regarding a personal printer.
    > You're all invited to read along at http://www.geocities.com/hptechsucks
    >
    > (and as a bonus I'm able to permanently archive my concerns via this
    > newsgroup)

    Try imagining them wearing a MacDonalds hat next time you speak with them, it
    won't resolve the problem, but you will get a better picture of the type of
    people you are dealing with ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  13. Ed

    Patrick Guest

    Sorry to butt in, but I haven't your original post, (you are the OP aren't
    you!)

    Anyway, I found some lovely pictures (and instructions) at link below.

    http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

    Patrick, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Ed

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:57:46 GMT, Ed wrote:

    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:35:48 GMT, Ed wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
    >> >need of a new CMOS battery.
    >> >Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

    <snip>

    >> >What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
    >> >changing the battery.

    >> Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
    >> search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
    >> change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.

    <snip>

    >Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six screws
    >on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not a
    >flat screwdriver." etc.

    Sticking with the www.google.com search theme
    using keywords ,

    build pc step by step

    http://www.buildeasypc.com/

    http://www.daileyint.com/build/
    Part I - Removing the Cover and Preparing the Case (10 photos)

    >I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
    >start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
    >there.
    >
    >Thx again.

    YW.

    Me

    why?, Sep 25, 2003
  15. Ed

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Brian',

    If I have not interfered with my Bios settings in any way since I
    purchased my computer nearly four years ago, does that mean that they
    are still set at factory default?

    If the answer is yes it would appear to be a waste of time for me to
    take details of the settings in case of mishap or removal of the batter
    because they would not change in such circumstances.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies, Sep 25, 2003
  16. Ed

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Emrys Davies said:

    > 'Brian',
    >
    > If I have not interfered with my Bios settings in any way since I
    > purchased my computer nearly four years ago, does that mean that they
    > are still set at factory default?
    >
    > If the answer is yes it would appear to be a waste of time for me to
    > take details of the settings in case of mishap or removal of the batter
    > because they would not change in such circumstances.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies

    Not sure if I can say a definite 101% yes here, it would be better to note the
    settings for comparison just in case.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 25, 2003
  17. Ed

    Ed Guest

    "Patrick" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry to butt in, but I haven't your original post, (you are the OP aren't
    > you!)
    >
    > Anyway, I found some lovely pictures (and instructions) at link below.
    >
    > http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp
    >

    > Ed wrote:
    > > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    > >> If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to
    > >> cope with handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to
    > >> factory default after removing the CMOS battery?
    > >>

    > > I'm praying for a miracle and that he will replace it QUICKLY.
    > >
    > > This guy also lost the START button in Windows98. Took me an hour to
    > > find it over the phone.

    Thanks - just what I'm looking for!

    24hs.hd does it again!

    Ed, Sep 25, 2003