    Carlos Albert Lacaye
    makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com
    , Mar 3, 2006

  2. Marv Soloff Guest

    Only if both machines were made by the same prime vendor to the same
    prints. I.E. the same machine despite what they are called.
    Otherwise you risk being in deep kimchee.

    Regards,

    Marv

    Marv Soloff, Mar 3, 2006

  3. AZ Nomad Guest

    On 3 Mar 2006 04:01:40 -0800, <> wrote:

    >Hello, readers!

    >I have a question: is it possible to replace the chipset of a DVD
    >player with a different chipset that a different DVD player has? I am
    >thinking about replacing the default chipset of a Norcent DVD player
    >with the chipset of the Kiss DVD players or Sigma 85XX. Why am I
    >interested in doing this? Because the Sigma chipsets have more support
    >for different files, like Ogg Vorbis, Wav files, etc. So, if this is
    >possible to do, could you please advice me of a place where I can take
    >the DVD player to?

    How are you at soldering SMT components at 40 pins/inch? Do you have
    schematics for both players? Are you OK with rewiring a couple of hundred
    connections and designing custom interface circuitry?

    If your time is worth more than about a ten cents an hour, sell your old
    unit and buy the unit you want.

    >Please, I am not discussing here whether this is "logical" to do from
    >an economical standpoint. I am just analyzing the technical
    >possibilities here, and that's all.

    Of course it isn't.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Biz Guest

    For this to even be possible, you would need a firmware update/hack to
    recognize the new chips, and all associated chips would also need to be
    replaced...the chips would have to be identical in pinout configuration,
    etc....the chances of all that coming together, AND you or just about anyone
    else having the ability to do it successfully are slim to none...

    From just about all points of view, it would not be doable, and would be
    much smarter to just get one of the players that supports all the formats
    you want, ie, BUYING one of the players you mentioned....

    Biz, Mar 3, 2006
  5. Biz -

    You know, given the realities of the situation, I would say that you
    are being way too optimistic :)

    I absolutely agree with you - the best (only!) way to replace the
    chipset is to buy it already set up on a new machine.

    Gino

    On 3/03/2006, Biz managed to type:

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251
    Gene E. Bloch, Mar 4, 2006
  6. Guest

    Hello, Gino!

    Thanks for your reply (and everybody else's).

    Okay, do I understand correctly that buying two machines and trying to
    come up with one is also, well, as some would say, "desilusional"?

    As for my reasons for doing this beyond more compatability, please
    E-mail me privately. They are irrelevant to this technical topic.

    Best to all,

    Carlos Albert Lacaye
    makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com
    , Mar 4, 2006