    Or is there some catch which will force me to pay someone with "expertise"
    to do it for me?

    Thanks for any advice.
    zebu, Apr 11, 2004

  2. No, you should be able to do it like last time, but making sure that you've
    set the "Jumpers" correctly on the drive.
    "zebu" <> wrote in message
    > I am no techie, but the last time I needed a new CD burner, I installed

    it
    > myself by simply opening the computer case, removing the old drive and
    > plugging the bits and pieces of the new one into the same places that the
    > old one came out of. Then I ran the installation floppy (ah, the good old
    > days!) and all was well. That was my previous computer, which has now

    gone
    > to God.
    >
    > Can I replace the CD writer in my (relatively) new computer with a new DVD
    > writer straight out of the box just as simply as I did the last

    replacement?

    Jackjlkjlkj532, Apr 11, 2004

  3. zebu

    THEOLDONE Guest

    Am sure you've read, thousands of times, If I can do it anyone can. I'm
    repeating this theme.

    As far as I know, the only time you have to worry about "setting the
    jumpers" is when U install a Hard Drive" replacement. or install a second
    Hard Drive. The "Jumpers" have to be set for "Master and Slave" I've
    installed two Read and Read/Write units and a DVD in my & wifes
    computer.The only thing I had to watch was the connecting cabling..the
    secondary IDE etc.

    Found that instructions on installation were enough for this 80 year old man
    to make a successful installation.

    Go for it.

    HTH

    U might find this site helpful

    http://home.comcast.net/~entreken/computer/htm

    THEOLDONE, Apr 11, 2004
  4. If there's two optical drives in the system and they're both on separate ide
    channels then it shouldn't be a problem. However, if they're on the same
    channel (cable) then you have to make sure one is Master and the other
    Slave, else he'll have problems with the two drives conflicting.

    Jackjlkjlkj532, Apr 11, 2004
  5. zebu

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Jackjlkjlkj532 wrote:

    > No, you should be able to do it like last time, but making sure that you've
    > set the "Jumpers" correctly on the drive.

    Add to the above, make sure that the new DVD drive can be
    identified by the burning software used for the prior CD-RW.
    If not, download and install an update.
    Mistoffolees, Apr 11, 2004
  6. zebu

    Eugene Solot Guest

    The physical thing is the same but depending on the make and speed of the
    dvd writer you might need for one thing to be running Windows XP. This is
    at least true of HP burner which burns at 8x.

    Eugene Solot, Apr 12, 2004