    if I remove the old one will I loose anything in the Bios till I replace
    the new one?
    Would like to have instructions how to do it. Thanks Fred J

    Fred J, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Fred J

    Robert Baer Guest

    Fred J wrote:

    > I have to replace the battery on the Mother board, my question is
    > if I remove the old one will I loose anything in the Bios till I replace
    > the new one?
    > Would like to have instructions how to do it. Thanks Fred J

    You may lose some settings; if the battery is alerady dead, this loss
    has already happened.
    After replacement of the battery, the BIOS settings should always be
    checked.
    Just flip or carefully pry the battery out.
    If a metal object is used to "get under" the batery edge to flip or
    pry, the battery could be shorted.
    If at all possible, use something non-metallic for that.

    Robert Baer, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Fred J

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:16:42 -0400, Fred J wrote:

    > I have to replace the battery on the Mother board, my question is if I
    > remove the old one will I loose anything in the Bios till I replace the
    > new one?
    > Would like to have instructions how to do it. Thanks Fred J

    The BIOS will revert to it's default settings. If they were never changed
    then you'll notice nothing. On the other hand, for example, if your
    system has no floppy drive the BIOS will default to listing a floppy drive
    and probably set it as the first boot device. This will cause an error
    message on boot up. In that case you will need to go into the BIOS and set
    it for no floppy and reset the boot sequence. One things for sure, if you
    don't change a dead CMOS battery you'll have all sorts of errors occur.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Aug 15, 2005