Replacing a tripod head

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Oct 5, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I have a tripod with a pan-head that I'd like replace with a ball-head
    from my monopod. But after opening up the tripod and monopod, I can't
    figure how to do the surgery. Below are the pics of the tripod head,
    monopod head and the ball-head. Are these standard designs?

    Tripod *Head*
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/image001.jpg

    Tripod *Head* - 2
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/image002.jpg

    Tripod Centre Column
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/image003.jpg

    Monopod Head
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/image004.jpg

    Ball Head
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/image005.jpg

    Ball-Head Bottom
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/image006.jpg

    The black plastic head on the tripod centre column doesn't have screws.
    Its just very firmly over the aluminium tube of the centre column.

    Thanks,

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote:

    > The black plastic head on the tripod centre column doesn't have screws.
    > Its just very firmly over the aluminium tube of the centre column.

    Not going to work with what you have.

    The standard tripod mounting thread for tripods, heads and monopods is
    1/4-20" and 3/8" coarse. Virtually all modern (up to 30 odd year old)
    tripods, heads and monopods that were made to accept interchangeable
    heads have these threads.

    You have a tripod and a monopod both of which had a built-in head. They
    were not made to be interchangeable.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Oct 5, 2005