Replacing a poer supply

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jan 11, 2009.

  1. About 3 years ago, had to replace the original power supply. Repairer installed a 'larger' model
    i.e. Okia ATX power supply/450W. My only stipulation was it had to be 'dual voltage'/switchable.

    Long story but he made out they were hard to find etc etc, and with my not knowing better, was
    'stung' nearly $200 for what may have been a simple and not expensive repair.

    This unit is now noisy and I need to replace it asap. I am trying to find someone else who does
    repairs locally but not having much luck. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to take it back to
    same person BUT if I have to do so, want to take unit I purchased in and yes, I WILL obtain a
    written quote before he touches it.

    I am using wwww.newegg.com.

    They do have the Okia brand but will buy another brand if 'good as or better'..

    I notice on two the following - could someone please explain the difference and which one do you
    consider 'better' if at all:

    1 unit as 2 x 80mm fans
    1 unit has a 12cm LED fan

    Some show ball bearing fans [maybe what is in there now and it's extremely noisy/never has really
    been 'quiet' to any degree!

    Is there any risk with going to say a 500W unit?

    Tha page I am looking at is:

    Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jan 11, 2009