    will either be some icky paste or one of those thermal sticky pads - does
    the latter make the heatsink difficult to separate from the CPU?

    TIA
    Bob, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Bob

    Unknown Guest

    Why don't you just replace the fan? Lots of luck changing the heatsink.

    Unknown, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Bob

    Russ Guest

    On the Athlon website they advise against using thermal grease in
    conjunction with a thermal pad but your always best to use a small amount to
    secure a good connection with the heatsink, also you do realise that in
    changing your heatsink you will invalidate the warrenty on your Athlon
    Processor. But if it needs changing I advise you to choose an AKASA AK 821
    has I have just changed my heatsink and tried four different coolers before
    I found one that did the job as good as the original cooler.

    Regards
    Russ

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

    Russ, Jul 28, 2004
  4. No. That iky stuff is thermal compuend. It is messy, but not sticky. It
    shouldn't affect removability.

    Chops McCoy

    Mike Porcelan, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Bob

    ICee Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I'm about to do this for the first time (horribly noisy fan) and am
    > wondering whether there are any considerations I should bear in mind
    > before I start with this funky new silent sink/fan combo. I'm
    > guessing that there will either be some icky paste or one of those
    > thermal sticky pads - does the latter make the heatsink difficult to
    > separate from the CPU?
    >
    > TIA

    If it's the stock heatsink, there will most likely be a thermal pad on
    it. The pad may make the heatsink sticky, so remove carefully. It may
    be best to remove when the CPU is still warm. Thoroughly clean the
    heatsink and CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. To clean the heatsink, you
    may have to scrape the pad off; be careful not to scratch it.
    Apply a thin coating of heatsink compound to the CPU die, then mount the
    new heatsink.
    ICee, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > > I'm about to do this for the first time (horribly noisy fan) and am
    > > wondering whether there are any considerations I should bear in mind
    > > before I start with this funky new silent sink/fan combo. I'm
    > > guessing that there will either be some icky paste or one of those
    > > thermal sticky pads - does the latter make the heatsink difficult to
    > > separate from the CPU?
    > >
    > > TIA

    > If it's the stock heatsink, there will most likely be a thermal pad on
    > it. The pad may make the heatsink sticky, so remove carefully. It may
    > be best to remove when the CPU is still warm. Thoroughly clean the
    > heatsink and CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. To clean the heatsink, you
    > may have to scrape the pad off; be careful not to scratch it.
    > Apply a thin coating of heatsink compound to the CPU die, then mount the
    > new heatsink.

    Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions - in the end the heatsink came off
    easily and the new one (a heatsink & fan combo) fitted on nicely with a
    little paste.
    Bob, Jul 28, 2004