    upgrade although I've done lots of upgrades on other components. Is it
    pretty much plug-n-play or is there additional setup to do?

    Thanks for your time and any help you can provide.

    StormyQ, Jan 9, 2004

  2. StormyQ

    NLWard Guest

    The first thing you need to do is research the motherboard to see whether
    it's already got the fastest CPU it can have, or if you can add a faster
    one. First check to see if you have a motherboard manual for the computer.
    If there's a manual, read it and you may get the info you need. If there's
    no manual, go to the computer manufacturer's site and look up the specifics.
    Manufacturers usually keep specs for legacy machines/boards. Open the
    machine and get any numbers/names you can find on the board proper (not the
    chips on it).

    After you've assured yourself you can upgrade to a faster CPU, go looking
    for one. Use the search engines (google is the best), and if you use e-bay,
    go there to look for it. Try online stores like Tiger Direct, that deal in
    older stuff.

    As to what it takes to change the CPU out, it varies. There's a thermal goop
    that's put on top of the CPU and then the heatsink placed on it. So, when
    taking out the old CPU, you most likely have to remove the fan, and then the
    heatsink and CPU as one (they're stuck together). If I were doing the job,
    I'd just leave the heatsink on the old CPU and get more thermal goop and
    another heatsink for the new CPU. Much easier, and safer for the old CPU (if
    you should want to use it again).

    Again, you will probably need to refer to the motherboard manual in order to
    make the motherboard recognize the new CPU. You may need to erase the
    CMOS/BIOS so the new CPU will be recognized; you may need to change the CPU
    settings in the BIOS so it will be recognized. Motherboards are notoriously
    variant in how the new CPU will be recognized.

    Hope this helps.

    "StormyQ" <> wrote in message
    > Trying to upgrade the processor on my Dad's PC. It's about a 7-8 year old
    > machine. It currently has an AMD-K6. Have doubled the ram, added an

    extra
    > hard drive and now want to increase processor speed. It is a SOCKET 7

    type
    > and the first 3 stores I called don't even carry that type.
    >
    > Am I out of luck? Is there another type that would work? Assuming I find

    > compatible processor, is it a simple installation? It would be my first

    CPU

    NLWard, Jan 9, 2004

  3. StormyQ

    NLWard Guest

    I just found an ad in the January 2004 Computer Shopper for a 500 MHz AMD
    K6-2 Socket 7 CPU for $16. It's at www. compuvest.com if you want to check
    it out.

    Strange that I would run across this CPU at this time. :]

    NLWard, Jan 10, 2004
  4. StormyQ wrote:
    > Trying to upgrade the processor on my Dad's PC. It's about a 7-8 year old
    > machine. It currently has an AMD-K6. Have doubled the ram, added an extra
    > hard drive and now want to increase processor speed. It is a SOCKET 7 type
    > and the first 3 stores I called don't even carry that type.
    >
    > Am I out of luck? Is there another type that would work? Assuming I find a
    > compatible processor, is it a simple installation? It would be my first CPU
    > upgrade although I've done lots of upgrades on other components. Is it
    > pretty much plug-n-play or is there additional setup to do?
    >
    > Thanks for your time and any help you can provide.

    I think you'll need to find out who makes the system or motherboard.
    The chip you really want is the AMD K6-III or 2+/III+, but the voltage
    requirements are different from the currently installed K6. Once you
    narrow down who makes your board, you can figure out what chips it can
    support. Aida32 might be a good start, http://www.aida32.hu

    See THG's Socket 7 Upgrade article for some K6 upgrade results:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20001106/index.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20010212/index.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20000725/index.html

    Generally these older chips can commonly still be found at online
    auctions sites like eBay. (I think Newegg still might have some K6
    inventory as well...)

    Best of luck,

    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 10, 2004