    doesn't want to pay for a controller card.

    any help would be appreciated..

    brian

    Brian S., May 25, 2004

  2. Brian S.

    one_red_eye Guest

    "Brian S." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
    > hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has
    > another brand new computer to use. But wants to let her younget child use
    > this one. Do they still make 5.25 hard drives? Or should i just buy a 5.25
    > to 3.5 bracket and install a 10 gig or something similiar that it will
    > recognize. I tried a maxtor 40gb 3.5 and it wouldn't recognize it and she
    > doesn't want to pay for a controller card.
    >
    > any help would be appreciated..
    >
    > brian

    If it has IDE sockets on the motherboard, it should accept at least an 8gb
    or 10 gb hard drive.

    Must be more than 6 years old. I have an old IBM 486SX (25Mhz) from like
    1990 that happily accepts a new 3.5" hard drive and a modern CD-ROM on its 2
    channel IDE. I've never even heard of a 5.25" hard drive.

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, May 25, 2004

  3. Brian S.

    Martik Guest

    "Brian S." <> wrote in message
    > My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
    > hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has
    > another brand new computer to use. But wants to let her younget child use
    > this one. Do they still make 5.25 hard drives? Or should i just buy a 5.25
    > to 3.5 bracket and install a 10 gig or something similiar that it will
    > recognize. I tried a maxtor 40gb 3.5 and it wouldn't recognize it and she
    > doesn't want to pay for a controller card.

    Update the bios and it should recognize it.

    Martik, May 25, 2004
  4. Brian S.

    Brian S. Guest

    yes it does have ide sockets. the hard drive is an old 5.25. It is installed
    on the top of the tower. The cd rom is next along with a floppy and then
    there is the power supply. it is an old compaq 5150. I guess i should
    update the bios and then buy a cage to transform the 5.25 to a 3.5 bay as
    the cage with the floppy drive in it only has one slot. i couldn't believe
    it myself when i looked at it. But yes it is as big or bigger than a
    standard cd rom drive. it takes up the whole width and length of the tower
    and is an old quantum drive.

    brian s.

    Brian S., May 25, 2004
  5. one_red_eye wrote:

    > Must be more than 6 years old. I have an old IBM 486SX (25Mhz) from
    > like 1990 that happily accepts a new 3.5" hard drive and a modern
    > CD-ROM on its 2 channel IDE. I've never even heard of a 5.25" hard
    > drive.

    I might have one or two in the closet. But what I *didn't* remember was
    that they were still around by the time multi-GB IDE drives were
    available. The ones I might have are/were 35MB and/or 65MB Seagates.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, May 25, 2004
  6. Brian S.

    one_red_eye Guest

  7. Brian S.

    Brian S. Guest

    thanks, i was already looking at this before i seen your reply. with no
    bios updates since 2001 i think i will just get them a used 8 gig drive. if
    not i will scrap it. It really isn't worth to sink more money into this only
    for the power supply to go next etc.... thanks for the help

    brian
    "one_red_eye" <> wrote in message
    > Try this.

    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&l
    ang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_query=compaq+5150

    Brian S., May 25, 2004
  8. Brian S.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Brian S. wrote:

    > My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
    > hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has
    > another brand new computer to use. But wants to let her younget child use
    > this one. Do they still make 5.25 hard drives? Or should i just buy a 5.25
    > to 3.5 bracket and install a 10 gig or something similiar that it will
    > recognize. I tried a maxtor 40gb 3.5 and it wouldn't recognize it and she
    > doesn't want to pay for a controller card.

    At about six years old it sounds like it could be the old Quantum Bigfoot.

    As it was just a standard IDE drive in a larger form factor you should
    be fine. Even the Maxtor 40 gig should work in conjunction with a
    drive overlay like Disc Wizard.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 25, 2004
  9. Brian S.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    one_red_eye wrote:

    > If it has IDE sockets on the motherboard, it should accept at least an 8gb
    > or 10 gb hard drive.
    >
    > Must be more than 6 years old. I have an old IBM 486SX (25Mhz) from like
    > 1990 that happily accepts a new 3.5" hard drive and a modern CD-ROM on its 2
    > channel IDE. I've never even heard of a 5.25" hard drive.

    The Quantum Bigfoot were in half height 5.25" form.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 25, 2004
  10. Brian S.

    Plato Guest

    Brian S. wrote:

    > My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
    > hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has

    It's called the Bigfoot. Can fit in a 5 1/4 bay on any PC just like a
    cdrom drive does.
    Slow drives as well, some run at only 4,800 rpms.

    It's perfectly standard except for the size.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 25, 2004
  11. Brian S.

    Brian S. Guest

    yes it is the old quantum bigfoot you are exactly right. could you point me
    in the right direction for the disc wizard. all i have now is max blast from
    my maxtor drive.

    brian

    Brian S., May 25, 2004
  12. Brian S.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Brian S. wrote:
    > yes it is the old quantum bigfoot you are exactly right. could you point me
    > in the right direction for the disc wizard. all i have now is max blast from
    > my maxtor drive.

    Maxblast should work fine.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 26, 2004
  13. Brian S.

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Brian S. wrote:

    > My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
    > hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has

    She is lucky to be able to afford to spend a lot of money.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, May 26, 2004