Replacements for BP-511 for Canon cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rick Langston, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. I have a Canon BP-511 rechargeable battery that came with my camera. It's
    working fine,
    but I'm considering getting one or more extras to have available if I have a
    lot
    to shoot.

    If I go to the Canon accessories site, I see the BP-511 listed for $70. Yet
    I can find
    so-called "replacement" batteries (new ones at that) on ebay for under $10.
    I have to
    assume that these replacements are poor quality, and could in fact damage
    the camera.

    The camera manual states that the BP-512 can also be used, and that's listed
    on the
    Canon site for $60. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 511 and
    512.

    I'd be interested in any info people may have about good BP-511 substitutes
    and what their expected price ranges would be, and also any info on the
    distinction
    between the 511 and 512. And what about those ultra-cheap replacements on
    ebay?

    Rick Langston, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Rick Langston

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Rick Langston wrote:

    > I'd be interested in any info people may have about good BP-511 substitutes
    > and what their expected price ranges would be, and also any info on the
    > distinction
    > between the 511 and 512. And what about those ultra-cheap replacements on
    > ebay?

    I use several of the Power 2000 BP-511 replacement from
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com and have been happy with them, and have had
    no problems. They last longer than the Canon battery.

    Consider that a good brand of 3rd party BP511 costs $35 to $50. I would
    be very leery of $10 batteries, especially from Ebay.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Rick Langston

    ralford Guest

    search www.pricegrabber.com for power 2000 bp 511 and a list will come up,
    the batter from bluenook.com was 1500mAh and was about $25.

    Appears to work fine.

    rma

    ralford, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Rick Langston

    Lisa Horton Guest

    ralford wrote:

    > search www.pricegrabber.com for power 2000 bp 511 and a list will come up,
    > the batter from bluenook.com was 1500mAh and was about $25.
    >
    > Appears to work fine.

    While I do appreciate the tip, for $10 I prefer to stick with a vendor I
    know and trust and order other stuff from anyway. But others may not be
    so cautious, and thus benefit more :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Rick Langston

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Rick Langston wrote:

    > If I go to the Canon accessories site, I see the BP-511 listed for $70. Yet
    > I can find
    > so-called "replacement" batteries (new ones at that) on ebay for under $10.
    > I have to
    > assume that these replacements are poor quality, and could in fact damage
    > the camera.

    With $10 dollar batteries, you get what you pay for.. (Ask me how I know :)
    Stay away from the el-cheapo eBay batteries.

    Look for ones that are between $10 and $70.. (Big name batteries
    in the $30.00 range are your best bet).

    > The camera manual states that the BP-512 can also be used, and that's listed
    > on the
    > Canon site for $60. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 511 and
    > 512.

    The 512 has no groove and it's a lighter gray color. It was meant to fit
    in the open on the backs of Canon camcorders. Despite the fact the outer
    case looks different, they're exactly the same inside. Note that the BP-512
    won't fit in the Canon SLR battery grips (like the BG-ED for the 10D, or in
    the Canon G1 and Pro90.. These need the groove.

    A picture is worth a thousand words.. I shot both batteries to show what
    they look like.. See the link below.. (The BP-512 has no groove)..

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/511-512.jpg

    Jim Townsend, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Rick,

    obviously I can't say anything on the American market for generic batteries.
    In Germany I bought two BP 511 equivalent batteries for EUR 11.-/piece (then $
    to EUR was was more or less equal).
    Both batteries work perfectly.
    The advertisement stressed that the Li-Ion-batteries were guarded against
    overloading.

    Actually Li-Ion batteries most often contain some control logic to control the
    charging:
    eg.: < http://www.web-ee.com/primers/files/li-ioncharge.pdf >.
    This partly explains higher cost for Li-Ion batteries when compared to other
    types.

    Hope this information helps
    Guenter

    Guenter Fieblinger, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Rick Langston

    ralford Guest

    everyone to their own. I ordered a battery from bluenook of Friday and it
    arrived Tuesday; their service was truly remarkable: they even called to
    make sure I had realized the battery was actually not a Power 2000 -which
    they say on their site. My personal experience is that if pricegrabber's
    rating are "4-stars" or better I have had very good luck. Also the risk is
    fairly low on a $20 item. Most of my online experiences involve computer
    parts. For major items, I generally end up with B&H or Adorama.

    Cheers,

    ralford, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Rick Langston

    Guest

    Archived from Lisa Horton <> on Wed, 03 Mar 2004
    19:55:46 -0800:

    >ralford wrote:
    >>
    >> search www.pricegrabber.com for power 2000 bp 511 and a list will comeup,
    >> the batter from bluenook.com was 1500mAh and was about $25.
    >>
    >> Appears to work fine.
    >>

    >While I do appreciate the tip, for $10 I prefer to stick with a vendor I
    >know and trust and order other stuff from anyway. But others may not be
    >so cautious, and thus benefit more :)
    >
    >Lisa

    I agree. In fact we do benefit with peace of mind. :)

    mailto: clix.at.xeropixdotcom

    , Mar 4, 2004
  9. Rick Langston

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <>, Lisa Horton
    <> writes

    >ralford wrote:
    >>
    >> search www.pricegrabber.com for power 2000 bp 511 and a list will come up,
    >> the batter from bluenook.com was 1500mAh and was about $25.
    >>
    >> Appears to work fine.
    >>

    >While I do appreciate the tip, for $10 I prefer to stick with a vendor I
    >know and trust and order other stuff from anyway. But others may not be
    >so cautious, and thus benefit more :)
    >
    >Lisa

    Read here before buying really cheapo batteries:

    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

    Stories of "I've never had a problem with my cheap batteries" do not
    mean they are intrinsically as safe as the real thing.
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Rick Langston

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Alan F Cross wrote:

    > In message <>, Lisa Horton
    > <> writes
    > >

    > >ralford wrote:
    > >>
    > >> search www.pricegrabber.com for power 2000 bp 511 and a list will come up,
    > >> the batter from bluenook.com was 1500mAh and was about $25.
    > >>
    > >> Appears to work fine.
    > >>

    > >While I do appreciate the tip, for $10 I prefer to stick with a vendor I
    > >know and trust and order other stuff from anyway. But others may not be
    > >so cautious, and thus benefit more :)
    > >
    > >Lisa

    > Read here before buying really cheapo batteries:
    >
    > http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
    >
    > Stories of "I've never had a problem with my cheap batteries" do not
    > mean they are intrinsically as safe as the real thing.

    A good source, thank you Alan. I've been warned before about the really
    cheap batteries though, and avoid them like the plague. Also learned my
    lesson about cheap celphone batteries :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Rick Langston

    ralford Guest

    Damn, and I wasted 9 years to get an advanced EE degree.... :)

    ralford, Mar 5, 2004
  12. Rick Langston

    Lisa Horton Guest

    ralford wrote:

    > Damn, and I wasted 9 years to get an advanced EE degree.... :)

    Apologies if I've said anything to offend or in any way diminish your
    knowledge. I don't know that much about batteries, which is one reason
    for my caution.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Mar 6, 2004
  13. "Guenter Fieblinger" <> wrote in message
    > Rick,
    >
    > obviously I can't say anything on the American market for generic

    batteries.
    > In Germany I bought two BP 511 equivalent batteries for EUR 11.-/piece

    (then $
    > to EUR was was more or less equal).
    > Both batteries work perfectly.
    > The advertisement stressed that the Li-Ion-batteries were guarded against
    > overloading.
    >
    > Actually Li-Ion batteries most often contain some control logic to control

    the
    > charging:
    > eg.: < http://www.web-ee.com/primers/files/li-ioncharge.pdf >.

    For cell phones and cameras, the charging control logic is in the device,
    not the battery. Even for notebook PCs with smart batteries, the battery
    keeps a record of how many times it was charged, abd will have a temperature
    sensor inside the pack, but the charging circuitry is in the PC. You may
    have a simple over-current device in the battery pack

    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 7, 2004