    Anyway thanks for any information.
    I'm not a tek just a computer hobiest so sorry if this sounds like a dumb
    question.

    Peter Maurice Cram, Aug 11, 2004

  2. "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    > I was just wondering if Dell would accept other oem parts when upgrading.

    > don't have a Dell, and never will (rather build my own) but a friend does.
    > Since I recently upgraded my computer with a ATI Radeon X800 Pro with 256

    mb
    > of ram, I was thinking about putting my last video card (Saphire Radeon

    9600
    > Pro 128 mb) into my friends computer. I don't think I'll have a problem,

    but
    > I just would like to know before I open up my friends computer. I've

    asked
    > to see his manufactures manual, especially for his mainboard, but he can't
    > find it.
    > I've heard about IBM an Hewart Packer not accepting anything they did not
    > specify or not of their make.
    >
    > Anyway thanks for any information.
    > I'm not a tek just a computer hobiest so sorry if this sounds like a dumb
    > question.

    I'm not impressed with Dell. Just visited their site and found out they
    either put video on the mainboard or use a PCI video card. I'm not sure
    whether a Dell mainboard will have an AGP slot for a agp video card. I can't
    tell by their website, but don't all mainboards come with a agp slot?

    Peter Maurice Cram, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Peter Maurice Cram

    Michael-NC Guest

    > "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    > > I was just wondering if Dell would accept other oem parts when

    upgrading.
    > > don't have a Dell, and never will (rather build my own) but a friend

    does.
    > > Since I recently upgraded my computer with a ATI Radeon X800 Pro with

    256
    > mb
    > > of ram, I was thinking about putting my last video card (Saphire Radeon

    > 9600
    > > Pro 128 mb) into my friends computer. I don't think I'll have a problem,

    > but
    > > I just would like to know before I open up my friends computer. I've

    > asked
    > > to see his manufactures manual, especially for his mainboard, but he

    can't
    > > find it.
    > > I've heard about IBM an Hewart Packer not accepting anything they did

    not
    > > specify or not of their make.
    > >
    > > Anyway thanks for any information.
    > > I'm not a tek just a computer hobiest so sorry if this sounds like a

    dumb
    > > question.
    > >

    > I'm not impressed with Dell. Just visited their site and found out they
    > either put video on the mainboard or use a PCI video card. I'm not sure
    > whether a Dell mainboard will have an AGP slot for a agp video card. I

    can't
    > tell by their website, but don't all mainboards come with a agp slot?

    Some Dells have an AGP slot and other don't. Only way is too open the case.
    The AGP slot is not proprietary, so your card should work. Some Dell
    motherboards and power supplies are proprietary.

    Michael-NC, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Peter Maurice Cram

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in

    > I'm not impressed with Dell. Just visited their site and found out
    > they
    > either put video on the mainboard or use a PCI video card. I'm not
    > sure whether a Dell mainboard will have an AGP slot for a agp video
    > card. I can't tell by their website, but don't all mainboards come
    > with a agp slot?

    No, they don't. If your friend's motherboard does have one, you should
    find the specs to make sure that A) It provides the proper AGP voltage
    (1.5v vs 3.3v), and that his power supply is powerful enough to handle a
    Radeon 9600.

    Jim Berwick, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Peter Maurice Cram

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > Some Dells have an AGP slot and other don't. Only way is too open the

    case.
    > The AGP slot is not proprietary, so your card should work. Some Dell
    > motherboards and power supplies are proprietary.

    I remember a previous post (in reply to something I said) where someone
    mentioned that for a while now Dell uses standard connectors on their power
    supplies. Also, if you dig through enough of Dell's site you can find
    whether there is an AGP slot on the mobo.

    --Adam

    Adam Steiner, Aug 11, 2004
  6. Adam Steiner wrote:
    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Some Dells have an AGP slot and other don't. Only way is too open the

    > case.
    >
    >>The AGP slot is not proprietary, so your card should work. Some Dell
    >>motherboards and power supplies are proprietary.

    > I remember a previous post (in reply to something I said) where someone
    > mentioned that for a while now Dell uses standard connectors on their power
    > supplies. Also, if you dig through enough of Dell's site you can find
    > whether there is an AGP slot on the mobo.
    >
    > --Adam

    AFAIK Dell uses standard connectors on their power supplies, but the
    form factor is often proprietary. If you're willing to mod the case you
    should be able to run a Dell from a standard PS.

    Calvin Crumrine, Aug 11, 2004
  7. Peter Maurice Cram

    Stuart Guest

    Peter Maurice Cram wrote:

    > I'm not impressed with Dell. Just visited their site and found out they
    > either put video on the mainboard or use a PCI video card. I'm not sure
    > whether a Dell mainboard will have an AGP slot for a agp video card. I can't
    > tell by their website, but don't all mainboards come with a agp slot?

    Are you sure they are not referring to PCI-Express video cards?

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 16, 2004