Replacement Hard Drive - Restore OS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by justinplace, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. justinplace

    justinplace Guest

    PRESENT CONFIGURATION: Windows XP Home, 80 GB ATA Hard drive, Intl 4
    2.66 GHz, 1024 MB memory. No CD of Windows XP Home, no Manufacturer
    Restore CD.

    GOAL: Using Norton Ghost 9, copy entire existing "C" drive onto a new
    SATA hard drive, and by entire I mean the operating system, master
    boot record and making the new SATA drive "bootable" by selecting that
    option on the Norton Ghost software.

    QUESTION: Can I install the new SATA drive through a SATA adaptor;
    get it working by installing the driver, and formatting it, while the
    existing ATA drive is still connected. I want to have both drives
    connected at the same time. Is it possible to run both drives, ATA
    and SATA concurrently or will this fry up the motherboard/chip as
    soon as I attempt to boot this configuration up.

    If I get past the hardware issues, will the new drive be bootable as I
    expect?

    I know I must assign the new drive (SATA) letter "C" and rename the
    old "C" (ATA) drive "E", but will this configuration work.

    If you speak from experience/knowledge, please let me know what you
    think.

    Am I gonna fry the motherboard running two drives in the proposed new
    configuration.

    Thanks to one and all responders.
    justinplace, Sep 27, 2006

  2. justinplace enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > PRESENT CONFIGURATION: Windows XP Home, 80 GB ATA Hard drive, Intl 4
    > 2.66 GHz, 1024 MB memory. No CD of Windows XP Home, no Manufacturer
    > Restore CD.

    Hmmm ....

    > GOAL: Using Norton Ghost 9, copy entire existing "C" drive onto a new

    First goal: buy a legal winxp retail home or pro.

    > SATA hard drive, and by entire I mean the operating system, master
    > boot record and making the new SATA drive "bootable" by selecting that
    > option on the Norton Ghost software.

    Since your existing windows already was running on the same mobo having
    both ata and sata connectors, there is a good chance the sata driver is
    already installed.
    If your bios supports changing boot order ide/sata, change to sata
    first.

    > QUESTION: Can I install the new SATA drive through a SATA adaptor;
    > get it working by installing the driver, and formatting it, while the
    > existing ATA drive is still connected. I want to have both drives
    > connected at the same time. Is it possible to run both drives, ATA
    > and SATA concurrently or will this fry up the motherboard/chip as
    > soon as I attempt to boot this configuration up.

    You may boot from a livecd or a ghost floppy, leaving the sata drive
    in "compatible" mode where it masks as a ide drive, for ghosting.

    > If I get past the hardware issues, will the new drive be bootable as I
    > expect?

    I would play safe, ghost your xp partition to the new hd, then do
    a "repair install" with the new xp cd, with F6 and the sata driver
    floppy in place. Unplug your old drive while you install the new xp.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 27, 2006