Replacement Hard Drive for Dell Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vass, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. Vass

    Vass Guest

    Vass, Mar 7, 2007

  2. Vass

    Sandy Nuts Guest

    "Vass" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone know if a Dell Latitude Laptop will struggle to run a larger HDD
    > (was a 6Gb now want to put in a 40Gb) will the motherbard take it ?
    >
    > Current drive is a Travelstar DBCA-206480 6440MB
    >
    > Will it take this from Dabs ?
    > http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

    If it's just storage you're looking for, wouldn't you be better off spending
    that on a decent sized removable hard disk? Saying that, if the laptop only
    has a 6GB disk, I doubt it will have USB 2.0 for decent transfer speeds...

    P.S There shouldn't be an issue with the laptop accepting the 40GB disk. It
    was only older motherboards that had bother seeing anything over 20GB.

    Sandy Nuts, Mar 7, 2007

  3. Vass

    Vass Guest

    "Sandy Nuts" <> wrote in message

    > If it's just storage you're looking for, wouldn't you be better off
    > spending that on a decent sized removable hard disk? Saying that, if the
    > laptop only has a 6GB disk, I doubt it will have USB 2.0 for decent
    > transfer speeds...

    disc is dead so no method of booting to use external options
    ta for info
    --
    Vass

    Vass, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Vass

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Vass" <> wrote in message

    > "Sandy Nuts" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> If it's just storage you're looking for, wouldn't you be better off
    >> spending that on a decent sized removable hard disk? Saying that, if the
    >> laptop only has a 6GB disk, I doubt it will have USB 2.0 for decent
    >> transfer speeds...

    > disc is dead so no method of booting to use external options
    > ta for info
    >
    > Vass

    I can send you a nice 6G Travelstar pretty cheap <g>

    Just kidding. I really do have one, it came out of a dead Tektronixs
    printer. So I put it in a little aluminum USB case for those times when my
    flash drive just isn't enough space.

    But the more important question isn't the drive, but the laptop. What model
    Dell Lattitude laptop? They've only made a few hundred different models,
    from way back in the 486 days (IIRC - maybe that was an IBM I'm remembering)
    till now. The BIOS in the laptop will determine what size drive it can
    handle. There was a 32G limitation that was fairly common, and as old as
    that laptop sounds, could be an issue. However, the drive should be good at
    32G, even if you lose 8G. Or there may be a BIOS update for the laptop, or
    the drive manufacturer may have an overlay program to deal with that
    problem.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 7, 2007
  5. Vass

    Vass Guest

    > But the more important question isn't the drive, but the laptop. What
    > model Dell Lattitude laptop?

    Dell Latitude CSx
    Model Number PMP
    Latitude CS-Series
    Ref No 99103

    is there a 32Gig limit?
    --
    Vass

    Vass, Mar 8, 2007
  6. Vass

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Vass" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> But the more important question isn't the drive, but the laptop. What
    >> model Dell Lattitude laptop?

    > Dell Latitude CSx
    > Model Number PMP
    > Latitude CS-Series
    > Ref No 99103
    >
    > is there a 32Gig limit?

    Probably not. That system looks like it was built around 2000, 2001 or so.
    IIRC, most motherboards had updated their BIOS by then. You might want to go
    to support.dell.com, and see if you have the latest BIOS for that system.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 8, 2007