    after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
    for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
    that?

    Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³ wrote:
    > I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use. I
    > had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100 but
    > after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
    > for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
    > that?

    Assuming that they did, wouldn't you then have to be worried about
    possible issues with a new model? The D100 has been out for a while
    now, any issues are known and mostly dealt with.

    A new model brings new issues and new problems.

    Andrew McDonald, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    Frank Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:17:34 -0500, "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use. I
    >had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100 but
    >after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
    >for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
    >that?

    What "Problems" have you read about? I've had a D100 for well over a
    year now and have observed NO "Problems". Go ahead and buy the thing
    and be enjoying it. Don't let the tales spread by the Canon worshipers
    on this group put you off.

    If you wait for a new model, it will be a "new model" with its own set
    of infancy problems and you'll probably decide to wait for the next
    new model after that. Be safe don't buy one and it'll never have a
    problem.

    Frank, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use.

    > had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100

    but
    > after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
    > for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
    > that?

    I'll look it up in the schedule Nikon USA sent me for 2004, including model
    numbers, features and specifications. :)

    PhotoMan, Nov 23, 2003
  5. "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use.

    > had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100

    but
    > after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
    > for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
    > that?

    I'm not aware of any problems with the current D100. There was a firmware
    upgrade a few months ago, but a review of the Nikon SLR forum on DP Review
    certainly gives no hint of any ongoing problems with the camera.

    There is no replacement for the D100 on the horizon for the forseeable
    future. Eventually there will be of course, but the timing is sheer
    speculation. The rumors may have a little more validity at time goes on,
    probably in the spring.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    Gavin Cato Guest

    What problems? The D100 is probably the most stable and least problematic of
    all the 6mp DSLR's.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Nov 23, 2003
  7. I do have a D100 an absolutely no (special) problems with it. The only
    decent (and proven) problem I found in literature is that it can't do less
    then (I think) 1/100 sec with flash. I never had use for that missing
    feature. Moreover It's known that storing RAW pictures (especially
    compressed RAW) takes quite long. I'll do RAW shooting some time, so this
    _might_ show to be a limitation.

    OTOH the D100 is a very well proven design and it's not know when it will be
    replaced by an upgrade by Nikon.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Howard McCollister wrote:

    > "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use.

    >>had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100

    > but
    >
    >>after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
    >>for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
    >>that?
    >>

    > I'm not aware of any problems with the current D100. There was a firmware
    > upgrade a few months ago, but a review of the Nikon SLR forum on DP Review
    > certainly gives no hint of any ongoing problems with the camera.

    A few months ago? What version was this? Did it require sending the
    camera in like the last firmware upgrade?

    Andrew McDonald, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Michael Schnell wrote:

    > feature. Moreover It's known that storing RAW pictures (especially
    > compressed RAW) takes quite long. I'll do RAW shooting some time, so this
    > _might_ show to be a limitation.

    7 seconds is not really that long. That's how long it takes to write
    uncompressed RAW images to my Simpletech 512MB card.

    Now, 40 seconds for compressed RAW is "quite long".

    Andrew McDonald, Nov 23, 2003
  10. >7 seconds is not really that long. That's how long it takes to write
    >uncompressed RAW images to my Simpletech 512MB card.
    >
    >Now, 40 seconds for compressed RAW is "quite long".

    The real limitation might be that the RAM cache takes less RAP pictures than
    JPGs.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Nov 23, 2003
  11. Michael Schnell wrote:
    >>7 seconds is not really that long. That's how long it takes to write
    >>uncompressed RAW images to my Simpletech 512MB card.
    >>
    >>Now, 40 seconds for compressed RAW is "quite long".

    > The real limitation might be that the RAM cache takes less RAP pictures than
    > JPGs.

    4 vs 6 may be a problem for some. I just don't shoot that way,
    especially in RAW. But maybe it's just me.

    Andrew McDonald, Nov 23, 2003
  12. "Andrew McDonald" <> wrote in message
    > Howard McCollister wrote:
    >
    > > "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³" <> wrote in

    message

    > >>I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer

    use.

    > >>had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100

    > > but
    > >
    > >>after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather

    wait
    > >>for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to

    do
    > >>that?
    > >>

    > > I'm not aware of any problems with the current D100. There was a

    firmware
    > > upgrade a few months ago, but a review of the Nikon SLR forum on DP

    Review
    > > certainly gives no hint of any ongoing problems with the camera.

    > A few months ago? What version was this? Did it require sending the
    > camera in like the last firmware upgrade?

    Version 2.00 is the current firmware.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Nov 23, 2003
  13. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    Gavin Cato Guest

    The flash sync is actually 1/180th.

    Storing a RAW file is no slower than any of the other DSLR's, put a fast
    flash card in and you'll notice a difference.

    cheers

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Nov 23, 2003
  14. Howard McCollister wrote:
    >>A few months ago? What version was this? Did it require sending the
    >>camera in like the last firmware upgrade?
    >>

    > Version 2.00 is the current firmware.

    Oh, that was last year, not a few months ago. I bought my camera in Nov
    2002 and it had 2.0 on it already.

    Andrew McDonald, Nov 23, 2003
  15. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    someone Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:17:34 -0500, "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³"
    <> posted:

    >I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use. I
    >had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100 but
    >after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
    >for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
    >that?

    what kinds of problems? I am saving up for one at the moment.

    someone, Nov 24, 2003
  16. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³ wrote:

    > I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer
    > use. I had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered
    > getting a D100 but after reading about the problems with the early
    > units, I would rather wait for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone
    > know when Nikon is going to do that?

    The problems with early units were all related to the v.1.00
    firmware. All bugs have been fixed meanwhile and all new
    cameras ship with v.2.00 onboard. Even if you bought a
    used D100 with v.1.00, Nikon would still replace the firmware
    for free.

    The D100 is an excellent DSLR, IMHO the best in its
    price range.

    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 24, 2003
  17. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    bob j Guest

    Check out the Fuji S2 pro, it is based on the same Nikon Body however
    it dosen't have the exposure problems the D100 has and it will TTL ALL
    Nikon flashes where as the d100 will only use the dttl flashes,
    currently 2 expensive models. Yes the D100 has exposure problems,
    especially using flash.

    Bob j.

    bob j, Nov 26, 2003
  18. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    gsum Guest

    Strange, my D100 has no problems with exposure
    whether using flash or not. This seems to be either
    disinformation or somebody who doesn't know
    how to use the camera correctly.

    Graham

    gsum, Nov 26, 2003
  19. Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    gsum wrote:

    > Strange, my D100 has no problems with exposure
    > whether using flash or not.

    Same with my D100. Either our cameras are
    two rare examples or what Bob J. says isn't
    true. (Somehow I tend to favor the latter...)

    > This seems to be either disinformation or somebody
    > who doesn't know how to use the camera correctly.

    The usual Canon zealot maybe? ;-)

    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 26, 2003
  20. Same here with my D100. Exposures are right on, even in odd lighting
    conditions. Flash expsures are good also.

    Matt Chamberlain, Nov 26, 2003