    My only disappointment was the quality of low-light photography.

    Thanks in advance
    - gA
    gA, Apr 1, 2010

  2. gA

    Toxic Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:42:37 -0600, gA wrote:

    > My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5 came
    > out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I need to
    > replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.

    I replaced my S1-IS with the S2-IS when it came out and didn't have the
    ready wherewithal to follow into the S3 nor S5, but now am considering
    the SX1-IS http://tinyurl.com/SX1-IS Looks promising however as soon as I
    manage to get one they'll unlock some more of the CHDK tricks in an SX2.
    Toxic, Apr 1, 2010

  3. gA

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:42:37 -0600, gA wrote:

    > My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5 came
    > out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I need to
    > replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.
    >
    > This is what I liked about my S3, among other features: - point & shoot
    > and compact size/lightweight - full swivel LCD
    > - good quality movies
    > - used normal AA batteries and SD memory cards - vertical/horizontal
    > panoramic
    > - quiet on/off and zoom
    > - image stabilization.
    > My only disappointment was the quality of low-light photography.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > - gA

    So have you checked the canon online store to see if they still sell
    them? Might make you a good deal on a refurb.
    ray, Apr 1, 2010
  4. gA

    SMS Guest

    On 31/03/10 5:42 PM, gA wrote:
    > My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5 came
    > out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I need to
    > replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.
    >
    > This is what I liked about my S3, among other features:
    > - point & shoot and compact size/lightweight
    > - full swivel LCD
    > - good quality movies
    > - used normal AA batteries and SD memory cards
    > - vertical/horizontal panoramic
    > - quiet on/off and zoom
    > - image stabilization.
    > My only disappointment was the quality of low-light photography.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > - gA

    SX20 IS is probably your best bet. Low light still won't be great, but
    that's going to be the case on all P&S cameras with small sensors.

    CHDK for the SX20 IS is still in Beta, but at least you know that it's
    coming eventually.
    SMS, Apr 1, 2010
  5. gA

    DanP Guest

    On 1 Apr, 02:09, ray <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:42:37 -0600, gA wrote:
    > > My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5 came
    > > out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I need to
    > > replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.

    > > This is what I liked about my S3, among other features: - point & shoot
    > > and compact size/lightweight - full swivel LCD
    > > - good quality movies
    > > - used normal AA batteries and SD memory cards - vertical/horizontal
    > > panoramic
    > > - quiet on/off and zoom
    > > - image stabilization.
    > > My only disappointment was the quality of low-light photography.

    > > Thanks in advance
    > > - gA

    > So have you checked the canon online store to see if they still sell
    > them? Might make you a good deal on a refurb.

    Good point, if this is your perfect camera stick with it.
    Try Amazon for used ones, a lot cheaper than a new one.

    DanP
    DanP, Apr 1, 2010
  6. gA

    gA Guest

    After much research I chose the Sony DSC HX1 with a CMOS processor.
    Thank you all that took the time to help me.
    - gA

    gA, Apr 7, 2010