    Are replacement drives available for it from places other than Dell?

    Thanks, as always, for your advice.

    JM

    DemoDisk, Oct 19, 2004

  2. DemoDisk

    Fileseeker Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What would you do to replace a bad floppy drive on a 6 year old Dell
    > portable? It's an Inspiron, and I think its floppy drive is failing.

    They're
    > easy to remove from tower or desktop systems, but I've never opened the

    case
    > on a portable computer.
    >
    > Are replacement drives available for it from places other than Dell?
    >
    > Thanks, as always, for your advice.
    >
    > JM

    If your portable has a(n) USB port, get external floppy that connects there

    Fileseeker, Oct 19, 2004

  3. DemoDisk

    Dan Evans Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message
    > What would you do to replace a bad floppy drive on a 6 year old Dell
    > portable? It's an Inspiron, and I think its floppy drive is failing.

    They're
    > easy to remove from tower or desktop systems, but I've never opened the

    case
    > on a portable computer.

    Newer ones seem to be designed to keep you out - I managed to strip down my
    old 486 Toshiba Satellite in about 45 minutes first time I tried. Anything
    built within the last 4 years or so, no joy.

    > Are replacement drives available for it from places other than Dell?

    Probably not. Try a USB external floppy. I've installed Teac ones in several
    places and not had any problems yet, though none of the machines using them
    have onboard floppies, so there may be a conflict that I am unaware of.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 20, 2004