    HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4

    Thanks in advance,
    Josh

    udz2002, Sep 23, 2010

  2. udz2002

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700, udz2002 wrote:

    > I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9 times,
    > pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does this
    > repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct, cables are
    > secure. The power supply is compatible with the system board. I went
    > from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation says the 9 beeps
    > means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I figured out on my
    > own. I replaced the original power supply back in the case and hooked it
    > up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure what the issue could be.
    >
    > HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Josh

    You'll need to remove the hard drive, install it in another computer, and
    format it. Then replace it in the original computer, and all will be
    well.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he tossed the bloody glove behind Kato's house.

    Dan C, Sep 23, 2010

  3. udz2002

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 wrote:

    > I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    > times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    > this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    > cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    > board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    > says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
    > figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    > the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
    > what the issue could be.
    >
    > HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Josh

    Check the power output to the disk drive with a volt meter.
    Check the fuse.

    richard, Sep 23, 2010
  4. udz2002

    ian field Guest

    "udz2002" <> wrote in message
    >I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    > times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    > this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    > cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    > board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    > says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
    > figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    > the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
    > what the issue could be.
    >
    > HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Josh

    Ignore the advice from the 2 looniest kooks on the group!

    The first strategy is strip out any extra cards not needed for the most
    basic bootable system, if you think the HDD boot partition may have somehow
    got corrupted, find, beg, steal or borrow a retired HDD and try a clean
    install of the OS to confirm the basic MOBO - HDD combination is capable of
    booting.

    With a bit of trial & error you can narrow down which component is in
    trouble and then come back here for how best to fix it.

    ian field, Sep 23, 2010
  5. udz2002

    udz2002 Guest

    On Sep 23, 3:10 pm, "ian field" <>
    wrote:
    > "udz2002" <> wrote in message

    > >I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    > > times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    > > this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    > > cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    > > board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    > > says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
    > > figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    > > the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
    > > what the issue could be.

    > > HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4

    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Josh

    > Ignore the advice from the 2 looniest kooks on the group!
    >
    > The first strategy is strip out any extra cards not needed for the most
    > basic bootable system, if you think the HDD boot partition may have somehow
    > got corrupted, find, beg, steal or borrow a retired HDD and try a clean
    > install of the OS to confirm the basic MOBO - HDD combination is capable of
    > booting.
    >
    > With a bit of trial & error you can narrow down which component is in
    > trouble and then come back here for how best to fix it.

    Thanks Ian! I was questioning the first two suggestions.

    I did try powering on with and without the hard drive and with two
    different hard drives. I don't have anything else connected, not even
    the CD\DVD drives. I read a couple other posts that indicated that it
    may be the BIOS which would not be good.

    udz2002, Sep 23, 2010
  6. udz2002

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:16:50 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 wrote:

    > On Sep 23, 3:10 pm, "ian field" <>
    > wrote:
    >> "udz2002" <> wrote in message

    >>>I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    >>> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    >>> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    >>> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    >>> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    >>> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
    >>> figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    >>> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
    >>> what the issue could be.

    >>> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4

    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Josh

    >> Ignore the advice from the 2 looniest kooks on the group!
    >>
    >> The first strategy is strip out any extra cards not needed for the most
    >> basic bootable system, if you think the HDD boot partition may have somehow
    >> got corrupted, find, beg, steal or borrow a retired HDD and try a clean
    >> install of the OS to confirm the basic MOBO - HDD combination is capable of
    >> booting.
    >>
    >> With a bit of trial & error you can narrow down which component is in
    >> trouble and then come back here for how best to fix it.

    > Thanks Ian! I was questioning the first two suggestions.
    >
    > I did try powering on with and without the hard drive and with two
    > different hard drives. I don't have anything else connected, not even
    > the CD\DVD drives. I read a couple other posts that indicated that it
    > may be the BIOS which would not be good.

    I had a compaq laptop i had to reinstall the OS on once.
    It failed to boot up. compaq said I had to flash the bios.
    Once I did that it booted up just fine.

    richard, Sep 23, 2010
  7. udz2002

    Tigger Guest

    udz2002 writted thus:

    > On Sep 23, 3:10 pm, "ian field" <> wrote:
    >> "udz2002" <> wrote in message

    >> >I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    >> > times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    >> > this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    >> > cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    >> > board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    >> > says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which
    >> > I figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    >> > the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not
    >> > sure what the issue could be.

    >> > HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4

    >> > Thanks in advance,
    >> > Josh

    >> Ignore the advice from the 2 looniest kooks on the group!
    >>
    >> The first strategy is strip out any extra cards not needed for the most
    >> basic bootable system, if you think the HDD boot partition may have
    >> somehow got corrupted, find, beg, steal or borrow a retired HDD and try
    >> a clean install of the OS to confirm the basic MOBO - HDD combination
    >> is capable of booting.
    >>
    >> With a bit of trial & error you can narrow down which component is in
    >> trouble and then come back here for how best to fix it.

    > Thanks Ian! I was questioning the first two suggestions.
    >
    > I did try powering on with and without the hard drive and with two
    > different hard drives. I don't have anything else connected, not even
    > the CD\DVD drives. I read a couple other posts that indicated that it
    > may be the BIOS which would not be good.

    My money is on a short to the case somewhere after moving things about in
    there...

    Tigger, Sep 23, 2010
  8. udz2002

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:27:01 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700, udz2002 wrote:
    >
    >> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    >> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does this
    >> repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct, cables are
    >> secure. The power supply is compatible with the system board. I went
    >> from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation says the 9 beeps
    >> means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I figured out on my
    >> own. I replaced the original power supply back in the case and hooked
    >> it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure what the issue could
    >> be.
    >>
    >> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Josh

    > You'll need to remove the hard drive, install it in another computer,
    > and format it.

    Especially if you have Slackware linux installed on it. Hell I would just
    smash the hard drive, buy a new one and put a real operating system like
    Windows 7 on it.

    Meat Plow, Sep 23, 2010
  9. udz2002

    ian field Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:16:50 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 23, 3:10 pm, "ian field" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> "udz2002" <> wrote in message

    >>> Ignore the advice from the 2 looniest kooks on the group!
    >>>
    >>> The first strategy is strip out any extra cards not needed for the most
    >>> basic bootable system, if you think the HDD boot partition may have
    >>> somehow
    >>> got corrupted, find, beg, steal or borrow a retired HDD and try a clean
    >>> install of the OS to confirm the basic MOBO - HDD combination is capable
    >>> of
    >>> booting.
    >>>
    >>> With a bit of trial & error you can narrow down which component is in
    >>> trouble and then come back here for how best to fix it.

    >> Thanks Ian! I was questioning the first two suggestions.
    >>
    >> I did try powering on with and without the hard drive and with two
    >> different hard drives. I don't have anything else connected, not even
    >> the CD\DVD drives. I read a couple other posts that indicated that it
    >> may be the BIOS which would not be good.

    > I had a compaq laptop i had to reinstall the OS on once.
    > It failed to boot up. compaq said I had to flash the bios.
    > Once I did that it booted up just fine.

    Most MOBO manufactures reccomend only to flash the BIOS once you're sure
    everything else is ok.

    If you get a power outage half way through flashing the BIOS - the MOBO is
    toast.

    ian field, Sep 23, 2010
  10. udz2002

    philo Guest

    On 09/23/2010 02:24 PM, udz2002 wrote:
    > I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    > times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    > this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    > cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    > board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    > says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
    > figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    > the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
    > what the issue could be.
    >
    > HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Josh

    You must have disturbed some wiring when you took the machine apart

    unplug and re-plug all connections and components

    the try again

    philo, Sep 23, 2010
  11. udz2002

    Buffalo Guest

    philo wrote:
    > On 09/23/2010 02:24 PM, udz2002 wrote:
    >> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    >> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    >> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    >> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    >> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    >> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which
    >> I figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    >> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not
    >> sure what the issue could be.
    >>
    >> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Josh

    > You must have disturbed some wiring when you took the machine apart
    >
    > unplug and re-plug all connections and components
    >
    > the try again

    Good idea Philo,

    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Sep 24, 2010
  12. udz2002

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:47:06 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:16:50 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 wrote:

    >>> Thanks Ian! I was questioning the first two suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> I did try powering on with and without the hard drive and with two
    >>> different hard drives. I don't have anything else connected, not even
    >>> the CD\DVD drives. I read a couple other posts that indicated that it
    >>> may be the BIOS which would not be good.

    >> I had a compaq laptop i had to reinstall the OS on once. It failed to
    >> boot up. compaq said I had to flash the bios. Once I did that it booted
    >> up just fine.
    >>

    > Most MOBO manufactures reccomend only to flash the BIOS once you're sure
    > everything else is ok.
    >
    > If you get a power outage half way through flashing the BIOS - the MOBO
    > is toast.

    Not true.

    Perhaps (maybe!) the BIOS EEPROM chip is toast, but *NOT* the entire
    motherboard. A BIOS chip is simple to replace.

    Get a clue.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

    Dan C, Sep 24, 2010
  13. udz2002

    udz2002 Guest

    On Sep 23, 7:33 pm, Dan C <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:47:06 +0100, ian field wrote:
    > > "richard" <> wrote in message

    > >> I had a compaq laptop i had to reinstall the OS on once. It failed to
    > >> boot up. compaq said I had to flash the bios. Once I did that it booted
    > >> up just fine.

    > > Most MOBO manufactures reccomend only to flash the BIOS once you're sure
    > > everything else is ok.

    > > If you get a power outage half way through flashing the BIOS - the MOBO
    > > is toast.

    > Not true.
    >
    > Perhaps (maybe!) the BIOS EEPROM chip is toast, but *NOT* the entire
    > motherboard.  A BIOS chip is simple to replace.
    >
    > Get a clue.
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    > "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
    > Usenet Improvement Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
    > Thanks, Obama:http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/politica/thanks.jpg

    All connections are solid, no visual damage -not sure what happened. I
    tried clearing the CMOS with no luck. I am not sure how to replace the
    BIOS. I think my machine may be dead.

    udz2002, Sep 24, 2010
  14. udz2002

    Zeke Guest

    "udz2002" <> wrote in message
    >I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    > times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    > this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    > cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    > board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    > says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
    > figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    > the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
    > what the issue could be.
    >
    > HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Josh

    Most P4 boards have the 4 pin power connector near the CPU as well as the
    main power connector... if that 4 pin connector is not hooked up it will not
    boot.

    Zeke, Sep 24, 2010
  15. udz2002

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:35:13 -0700, udz2002 wrote:

    > All connections are solid, no visual damage -not sure what happened. I
    > tried clearing the CMOS with no luck. I am not sure how to replace the
    > BIOS. I think my machine may be dead.

    Please disregard the posts from our 24hoursupport Village Idiot Dan C.

    These things sometimes happen with no reason or rhyme. I updated the
    power supply on my old PC built in 2005 to accommodate a new video card
    and ended up with a dead motherboard. And having started out building OEM
    computers in 1996 I took all the usual precautions. However not all was
    lost, just the motherboard. And it was a time to upgrade to something
    closer to recent technology. I reused the video card and hard drives/
    optical drives. Sorry about your loss, it sucks I know. But like I said
    these things do happen through no fault of your own.

    Meat Plow, Sep 24, 2010
  16. udz2002 wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 7:33 pm, Dan C <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:47:06 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >>> "richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Most MOBO manufactures reccomend only to flash the BIOS once you're sure
    >>> everything else is ok.
    >>> If you get a power outage half way through flashing the BIOS - the MOBO
    >>> is toast.

    >> Not true.
    >>
    >> Perhaps (maybe!) the BIOS EEPROM chip is toast, but *NOT* the entire
    >> motherboard. A BIOS chip is simple to replace.
    >>
    >> Get a clue.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    >> "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
    >> Usenet Improvement Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
    >> Thanks, Obama:http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/politica/thanks.jpg

    > All connections are solid, no visual damage -not sure what happened. I
    > tried clearing the CMOS with no luck. I am not sure how to replace the
    > BIOS. I think my machine may be dead.

    Check out the list of BIOS beep codes first for klews:
    http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm

    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 24, 2010
  17. On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 <>
    wrote:

    >I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    >times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    >this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    >cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    >board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    >says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
    >figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    >the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
    >what the issue could be.
    >
    >HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Josh

    You may have cracked a solder connection on one of the pin headers
    where the power supply connects to the Motherboard during the removal
    and replacement sequence.

    That would explian why putting the original power supply back in,
    doesn't work either.

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Sep 24, 2010
  18. udz2002

    Mike Easter Guest

    udz2002 wrote:
    > I recently replaced my computer's power supply

    What was going on initially, before you replaced the PS, that caused you
    to (think you should) replace the PS?

    > I replaced the original power supply back in
    > the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue.

    You said 'now' it has the same issue. Does that mean that before you
    replaced and 'unreplaced' the PS that it had some *other* issue or
    symptom or what is the full story of symptoms and troubleshooting
    results before initial PS replacement?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 24, 2010
  19. udz2002

    Buffalo Guest

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
    >> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
    >> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
    >> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
    >> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
    >> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which
    >> I figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
    >> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not
    >> sure what the issue could be.
    >>
    >> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Josh

    > You may have cracked a solder connection on one of the pin headers
    > where the power supply connects to the Motherboard during the removal
    > and replacement sequence.
    >
    > That would explian why putting the original power supply back in,
    > doesn't work either.

    Sounds very logical to me also. Just flexing the mb by pulling and pushing
    on the connector could cause a bad solder connection.
    Buffalo
    PS: Also, as Philo suggested, perhaps something else got bumped or
    disconnected while exchanging the PSU.

    Buffalo, Sep 24, 2010
  20. udz2002

    philo Guest