    Thanks for any advise

    Regards

    Martin G

    Martin G, Nov 14, 2006

  2. Martin G

    John Barnes Guest

    It will depend on how you have your drives set up when you do the install.
    At worst you should still be able to boot into your x64 and clean up things
    from there.

    John Barnes, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Martin G

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    What John said. I would augment by adding-

    If you boot the computer to the present XPx64 system place the CD in the
    drive, you will end up with:
    1. The Windows XP boot loder offering the two XP systems on its menu
    2. Vista will still be in place as well as its boot files.

    You now have two options.
    1. Leave it as it is.
    2. Clean up by deleting the Vista installation and the boot files. -OR-

    Alternately, you can install EasyBCD or Vista BootPro on the XP64 system
    and use it to change to the XP64 boot loader. This disables the Vista
    loader but leaves everything in place. You can then install another copy
    of XP64 to a different partition. Then, if you want, you can reactivate
    the Vista loader.

    Then, when you boot, the Vistal loader will offer you Vista or Earlier
    OS. Selecting Earlier OS will take you to the XP loader which will offer
    you the two XP64 OSs.

    Good luck.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Martin G" <martingATboundaryHYPHENmetalDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
    : All
    :

    Tom Ferguson, Nov 14, 2006
  4. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    Thanks both

    I removed the Vista loader then cleaned up the HD and continued to install
    XPx64. I now have a dual boot between 2 XPx64 installations however the new
    installation is does not take the C: when loaded it is E:.

    Is there a way to make whichever operating system is booted take C: ?

    Regards

    Martin

    Martin G, Nov 14, 2006
  5. Martin G

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Install each OS by booting from the CD or DVD. Install in order from
    oldest to newest. If you are installing any Windows 9x OS, including SE
    or Me, only install one and install it on FAT.

    "Martin G" <> wrote in message
    : Thanks both
    :
    : I removed the Vista loader then cleaned up the HD and continued to
    install
    : XPx64. I now have a dual boot between 2 XPx64 installations however
    the new
    : installation is does not take the C: when loaded it is E:.
    :
    : Is there a way to make whichever operating system is booted take C: ?
    :
    : Regards
    :
    : Martin
    :
    :
    :
    : "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > What John said. I would augment by adding-
    : >
[...]
    : > :

    Tom Ferguson, Nov 14, 2006
  6. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    Tom

    There are no old OS's both are XPx64. Installed from CD's however the second
    install does not become C: when it is booted into. It maintains the F: label
    of the drive it was installed onto.

    When I was dual booting with X64 and vista whichever operating system I
    booted into became C: so I was expecting the same behaviour with this set up

    Martin G, Nov 14, 2006
  7. Martin G

    John Barnes Guest

    With Vista, it will always install itself as C if it is installed from the
    DVD and assume the Letter assigned to the partition installed to by any OS
    from which it is installed.
    If you want the new installation to be C, you should disconnect the other
    drive when you install it. If both are on different partitions on the same
    drive, I don't think you have a choice with XP unless you can hide the other
    partition, say with fdisk.
    Since you don't say how you are set up, all I can do is guess. If this is a
    different drive, then after the install you should go into the BIOS and
    reset it back to the way it is now so your dual boot ini file is active.

    John Barnes, Nov 14, 2006
  8. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    John

    As I will not be using this setup for that long I have just left it as F:
    and installed what I need onto it.

    The second installation is on a second drive rather than a partition

    Regards

    Martin

    Martin G, Nov 15, 2006
  9. Martin G

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    OK. However, the question you asked was, "Is there a way to make
    whichever operating system is booted take C: ?"

    The answer is:
    Install each OS by booting from the CD or DVD.

    The rest was a statement stating the recommendation for the general case
    of instralling various OSs and not meant to be limited to your
    particular requirements at this time and in this instance..

    Tom

    "Martin G" <> wrote in message
    : Tom
    :
[...]
    : > "Martin G" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : > : Thanks both
    : > :
    : > : I removed the Vista loader then cleaned up the HD and continued to
    : > install
    : > : XPx64. I now have a dual boot between 2 XPx64 installations
    however
    : > the new
    : > : installation is does not take the C: when loaded it is E:.
    : > :
    : > : Is there a way to make whichever operating system is booted take
    C: ?
    : > :
    : > : Regards
    : > :
    : > : Martin
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    : > : news:...
    : > : > What John said. I would augment by adding-
    : > : >
[...]
    : > : > :

    Tom Ferguson, Nov 15, 2006
  10. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    Hi Tom

    I did install both OS by booting from CD's.

    Not to worry, as mentioned above I will just use as is.

    Thanks for the help

    Martin G, Nov 15, 2006
  11. I never worry about the drive lettering differences any more. Drive letters
    are dinosaurs anyway. They don't mean as much in NT versions as they did in
    win9x/ME. The only way the drive lettering would have come out as you
    expected would have been if you could have installed the new OS from the
    desktop of the first OS. Whenever you boot off the installation media all
    bets are off.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 17, 2006