    "www.toshiba.com".

    Help needed.

    , Oct 17, 2006

  2. Balu Guest

    Thanks Gordon.
    Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
    S1292. How can I find that out?

    Balu, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Gordon Guest

    Balu wrote:

    > Thanks Gordon.
    > Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
    > S1292. How can I find that out?

    As long as the drive fits, it's compatible AFAIK.......

    Gordon, Oct 17, 2006
  5. "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Balu wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Gordon.
    >> Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
    >> S1292. How can I find that out?
    >>

    > As long as the drive fits, it's compatible AFAIK.......

    The size HD, in GB, the laptop will support depends upon the BIOS and OS.

    HTH,
    Hawkeye65

    The Addison's, Oct 17, 2006
  6. Gordon Guest

    The Addison's wrote:

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Balu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Gordon.
    >>> Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
    >>> S1292. How can I find that out?
    >>>

    >> As long as the drive fits, it's compatible AFAIK.......

    > The size HD, in GB, the laptop will support depends upon the BIOS and OS.

    It would have to be a VERY VERY old laptop not to support a large
    HDD......and looking at the product, it should be perfectly OK.....

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    to email me invalidate the invalid!

    Gordon, Oct 17, 2006
  7. There is almost no way to be absolutely sure other than to try it, but
    I'm pretty sure that the A15 is new enough that it has no size limits
    below [at least] 137GB. I've had 40 gig drives in a 2805, and that is
    YEARS older than an A15.

    This is, however, a good time to update the BIOS to the latest available.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 17, 2006
  8. Balu Guest

    I was comparing the 60GB disk specifications and 30 GB one. There is
    one difference with respect to "Data Storage Physical" key feature. It
    shows for
    60GB -- Number of disks= 2 and Data heads =4 and for
    30GB -- Number of disks= 1 and Data heads =2 .

    Does the number of disks or data heads have any significance on
    upgrading the disk from 30GB to 60GB?

    Balu, Oct 17, 2006
  9. No

    But if you are buying a new drive, just forget what you have and look
    for a 5400rpm drive. The only things you need to worry about are
    interface (IDE, I am pretty sure) and make sure that the new drive will
    fit (thickness).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 17, 2006
  10. Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:02:20 -0400, Barry Watzman Has Frothed:

    > No
    >
    > But if you are buying a new drive, just forget what you have and look for
    > a 5400rpm drive. The only things you need to worry about are interface
    > (IDE, I am pretty sure) and make sure that the new drive will fit
    > (thickness).

    Seagate Momentus 100 gig @5400rpm. I have two of them, one with linux on
    it and one with XP.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Oct 17, 2006
  11. In article <>,
    Balu <> wrote:
    >I was comparing the 60GB disk specifications and 30 GB one. There is
    >one difference with respect to "Data Storage Physical" key feature. It
    >shows for
    >60GB -- Number of disks= 2 and Data heads =4 and for
    >30GB -- Number of disks= 1 and Data heads =2 .
    >
    >Does the number of disks or data heads have any significance on
    >upgrading the disk from 30GB to 60GB?

    The number of disks and data heads is very significant in determining
    the storage capacity of the device. This one is 15GB per surface,
    thus 30GB for top and bottom of one platter. Two platters makes 60GB.
    But nowadays these details are hidden from the user, and the device is
    just addressed by Logical Block Number.

    Storage capacity per surface increases as disk manufacturers learn how
    to increase the data density.

    carl
    --
    carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego

    Carl Lowenstein, Oct 20, 2006
  12. Ian Singer Guest

    Carl Lowenstein wrote:

    > The number of disks and data heads is very significant in determining
    > the storage capacity of the device. This one is 15GB per surface,
    > thus 30GB for top and bottom of one platter.

    Since when are there read heads on both surfaces of a platter?

    Ian Singer

    See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
    hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
    All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

    Ian Singer, Oct 20, 2006
  13. BillW50 Guest

    "Ian Singer" <> wrote in message
    > Carl Lowenstein wrote:
    >
    >> The number of disks and data heads is very significant in determining
    >> the storage capacity of the device. This one is 15GB per surface,
    >> thus 30GB for top and bottom of one platter.

    > Since when are there read heads on both surfaces of a platter?

    OMG! Ever since floppies started reading and writing on both sides. Hell
    like 20 years ago. Where have you been? ;)

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Oct 20, 2006
  14. Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:38:28 -0400, Ian Singer Has Frothed:

    > Carl Lowenstein wrote:
    >
    >> The number of disks and data heads is very significant in determining
    >> the storage capacity of the device. This one is 15GB per surface, thus
    >> 30GB for top and bottom of one platter.

    > Since when are there read heads on both surfaces of a platter?
    >
    > Ian Singer

    Western Digital started doing it way back when they were making 6.4 gig
    and other drives with one platter having two surfaces.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Oct 20, 2006
  15. Pretty much since hard drives were invented, going back to the 1950's.
    They have virtually always used both sides of the platter. In some
    older drives, one side of one platter was used for the head servo
    information. This is no longer done, as all drives now have "embedded
    servo tracks".

    Barry Watzman, Oct 20, 2006
  16. No, WAY before that. Going back to the origin of drives in the 1950's.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 20, 2006
  17. No, go way, way back ... I don't think that any drive maker has ever
    made a drive that did not have heads on both sides of the platters. The
    original Seagate drives had heads on both sides of the platters.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 20, 2006
  18. SMS Guest

    Ian Singer wrote:
    > Carl Lowenstein wrote:
    >
    >> The number of disks and data heads is very significant in determining
    >> the storage capacity of the device. This one is 15GB per surface,
    >> thus 30GB for top and bottom of one platter.

    > Since when are there read heads on both surfaces of a platter?

    Well the Shugart SA801 8" floppy drives on my old CPM system, were
    single-sided. The SA851 was double sided. This was back in around 1982.

    Were there ever any hard drives that did not at least use the second
    side for servo control?

    SMS, Oct 20, 2006
  19. Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:38:04 -0400, Barry Watzman Has Frothed:

    > No, go way, way back ... I don't think that any drive maker has ever made
    > a drive that did not have heads on both sides of the platters. The
    > original Seagate drives had heads on both sides of the platters.

    Well the real old IBM, Connor, etc could use one side for servo data but
    yes, the modern (Winchester style) drives had double sided platters. I
    don't think the original ramac of the mid 50's were DS. That probably
    happened in the early 70's when the first Winchesters showed up.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Oct 20, 2006
  20. Only one side of ONE platter was used for a servo track. So if a drive
    had 3 platters, then 5 of the 6 surfaces were used for data, one for
    servo. But it's been a decade or more since any hard drive had a
    dedicated servo platter at all.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 20, 2006