Replace HD & Save Data

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Walter Mautner, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. Luke O'Malley enlightened us in 24hoursupport.helpdesk with:

    > I have two HDs. Unfortunately the small one is the 'main/ one since
    > I did not know how to do what I dealing with now when I added the
    > second larger drive. I would like to replace this smaller drive
    > with a larger one and move everything from the small drive over on
    > to it. The small drive has the XP os on it. Can this be done? Do
    > I need backup software or something?

    You need disk cloning software like ghost (the dos version will fit on
    one bootable floppy) or a linux liveCD (free, downloadable and on many
    comp magazines).

    --
    vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin
    patterns
    Walter Mautner, Aug 5, 2006

  2. Walter Mautner

    Mr User Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > I have two HDs. Unfortunately the small one is the 'main/ one since
    > I did not know how to do what I dealing with now when I added the
    > second larger drive. I would like to replace this smaller drive
    > with a larger one and move everything from the small drive over on
    > to it. The small drive has the XP os on it. Can this be done? Do
    > I need backup software or something?

    Depends what you really want to do ....
    Personally assuming it's a fast enough drive I'd keep the smaller one
    running your OS. Add the secondary drive as slave. Now partition about
    8GB of the 2nd drive (for future OS installation) and partition and use
    the remaining space as a store area for all your personal stuff al la
    MP3's, Movies etc etc.

    If at any stage you want to swap over you already have an 8GB partition
    for your OS ready for use.

    I routinely clean installed XP so this is a logical path for me but YMMV.
    Mr User, Aug 8, 2006