replace CD

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by J Brown, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. J Brown

    J Brown Guest

    I sure hope someone can help me this problem has been
    going on for 4 months now. I got 2 worms several months
    ago that I finally had help catching and put in quarenty.
    I had to reinstall my computer. That was easy because it
    came with reload disk. Its a Compaq system. The Windows
    XP reinstallment CD had something on it that made the
    computer not have the ability to read it. I have
    contacted that companny which is now HP and who have
    relocated there entier IT department overseas, and I
    can't understand them and they can't understand me. I
    mean we are totally not understanding each others
    language. They may speak english but it is definetly a
    second language to them, and as hard as they want to help
    they don't understand half of what I am saying. It is way
    past frustrating for me and them. My question is can I
    replace the Compaq Windows XP by just purchasing that
    from Compaq. I will send them the one that came with the
    system and just buy another from them. It has been
    suggested that I just buy a Windows XP home CD, but I
    don't know if that will contain all of the info on the
    bad CD or not. Somebody help me I am in the Compaq HP
    Twilight Zone!!!!!!!!!

    J Brown, Oct 4, 2004

  2. I may be missing something, how did you get Windows installed if the
    computer could not read it?
    Or do you have two different CDs?
    Exactly what are they?

    Compaq is the only one who can tell you what the replacement policy is
    for their CD.

    If you buy a Windows XP Home CD, that is all you will get.
    You should be able to get any drivers you need from their website.
    Any applications or tools on the bad CD are not included with Windows
    and you will need to do without or purchase them.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Oct 4, 2004

  3. J Brown

    Guest

    ok .. having de;at with Compaq/HP I fully understand your
    anxiety .. ok first thing's first .. are you using what
    is know as a Recovery CD? If so, and providing that you
    have ALL the relevent discs & floppies (if required)it
    should be straight forward, firstly .. when you start
    your pc up, boot it into the BIOS mode, when you have
    done that .. locate the boot order, that is to say it's
    usually, Floppy, then Hard Drive then LS120 or possibly
    CD, change the boot order to make sure it's CD .. press
    F10 (assuming it's Award Bios) then, restrat your PC
    after saving and exiting tyhe BIOS mode, if the CD Drive
    is a bootable one, it should start the CD .. ***WARNING**
    make sure that you jave backed up your hard drive to
    either a CD, DVD using appropriate burner software, ie
    Nero or Roxio or to an online drive, ie ur email addy ..
    re-installion MAY delete all your previously stored
    files, then simply follow the on screen instructions ..
    alternatively, if you can access the cd via the CD Rom
    drive, copy all the relevant files needed and burn them
    to a separate CD vi the burning software and download the
    Setuo Disks via Microsoft using this link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?
    productID=&freetext=setup+disks&DisplayLang=en selecting
    the relevnt file in accordance to your requirements. You
    can also try installing Service Pack 2, that will help
    you a lot and will replace various system files that have
    previously been corrupted due to Viruses .. Hope that
    assists you!

    , Oct 8, 2004
  4. J Brown

    p.k sharma Guest

    wrote:
    > *ok .. having de;at with Compaq/HP I fully understand your
    > anxiety .. ok first thing's first .. are you using what
    > is know as a Recovery CD? If so, and providing that you
    > have ALL the relevent discs & floppies (if required)it
    > should be straight forward, firstly .. when you start
    > your pc up, boot it into the BIOS mode, when you have
    > done that .. locate the boot order, that is to say it's
    > usually, Floppy, then Hard Drive then LS120 or possibly
    > CD, change the boot order to make sure it's CD .. press
    > F10 (assuming it's Award Bios) then, restrat your PC
    > after saving and exiting tyhe BIOS mode, if the CD Drive
    > is a bootable one, it should start the CD .. ***WARNING**
    > make sure that you jave backed up your hard drive to
    > either a CD, DVD using appropriate burner software, ie
    > Nero or Roxio or to an online drive, ie ur email addy ..
    > re-installion MAY delete all your previously stored
    > files, then simply follow the on screen instructions ..
    > alternatively, if you can access the cd via the CD Rom
    > drive, copy all the relevant files needed and burn them
    > to a separate CD vi the burning software and download the
    > Setuo Disks via Microsoft using this link:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?
    > productID=&freetext=setup+disks&DisplayLang=en selecting
    > the relevnt file in accordance to your requirements. You
    > can also try installing Service Pack 2, that will help
    > you a lot and will replace various system files that have
    > previously been corrupted due to Viruses .. Hope that
    > assists you!

    -
    p.k sharm

    p.k sharma, Oct 8, 2004