    problem all companies have in keeping the A/V signature DB's up to
    date?

    jk

    Jim Kirby, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Jim Kirby

    lombardi Guest

    (Jim Kirby) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Cisco claims that its Security Agent can block (nearly?) all zero-day
    > exploits including unknown worrm and viruses. If this is indeed true,
    > would it be feasible to replace a given computer's anti-virus software
    > with the Cisco Security Agent?
    >
    > Wouldn't doing that have the awesome side effect of eliminating the
    > problem all companies have in keeping the A/V signature DB's up to
    > date?
    >
    > jk

    Not entirely true. This question was asked during a Cisco seminar on
    the security agent and although the response was vague Cisco does not
    recommend not using antivirus software. I believe the example was a
    recent email that prompted the user for a username and password to
    open an attachment. Someone with more knowledge would be able to help
    you out more. I believe the Cisco Security Agent works in conjuction
    with certain 3rd party antivirus products.

    lombardi, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Jim Kirby

    S. Gione Guest

    I don't think Cisco recommends CSA in place of anti-virus software.

    CSA will apply policies to prevent action on the host that it is present on.
    It does not, I believe, do any remediation (removal of the virus). This
    means that the virus is still tooling around your network, waiting to
    discover a host that is unprotected.

    S. Gione, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Jim Kirby

    Guest

    On 7 Apr 2004 07:40:31 -0700, (Jim Kirby) wrote:

    >Cisco claims that its Security Agent can block (nearly?) all zero-day
    >exploits including unknown worrm and viruses. If this is indeed true,
    >would it be feasible to replace a given computer's anti-virus software
    >with the Cisco Security Agent?
    >
    >Wouldn't doing that have the awesome side effect of eliminating the
    >problem all companies have in keeping the A/V signature DB's up to
    >date?
    >
    >jk

    It's called putting all your eggs in on basket, besides there are
    multiple infection vectors that CSA won't detect.

    As for updating AV signatures, it's very easy once you setup a
    corporate AV software system. For example, I use Norton Corp Edition.
    Everyone gets updated daily with no effort on my part. If an emergent
    virus comes out I can push updates company wide in minutes. The
    central notification is fantastic as well.

    -Chris

    , Apr 10, 2004