    throughout the day for reasons unknown to me. I have to repair my network
    connection every time (disable, then enable) and then I'm up and running
    again. Can anyone give me a fix for this? Thanks in advance, Fran
    Fran, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Fran

    Guest

    On 29-Jul-2006, "Fran" <> wrote:

    > I have to repair my network
    > connection every time (disable, then enable) and then I'm up and running
    > again. Can anyone give me a fix for this? Thanks in advance, Fran

    Had this problem, static IP addresses, plus an aluminium
    kitchen foil reflector behind the USB wireless adapter, to boost
    signal strength, cured it.
    Built in wireless adapters, PCI cards and laptops, rarely have the
    antenna in the position of maximum signal.
    With PC's the antenna if it's part of a PCI card is often shielded
    by the bulk of the case.
    This also occurs with wireless mice and keyboards, you
    need a USB extension or built in USB lead to get them
    nearer to the device talking to them.
    DHCP seems to make one attempt to lease addresses,
    if it fails you have to do a repair to get it to try again.
    , Jul 30, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message

    > On 29-Jul-2006, "Fran" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have to repair my network
    >> connection every time (disable, then enable) and then I'm up and running
    >> again. Can anyone give me a fix for this? Thanks in advance, Fran

    > Had this problem, static IP addresses, plus an aluminium
    > kitchen foil reflector behind the USB wireless adapter, to boost
    > signal strength, cured it.
    > Built in wireless adapters, PCI cards and laptops, rarely have the
    > antenna in the position of maximum signal.
    > With PC's the antenna if it's part of a PCI card is often shielded
    > by the bulk of the case.
    > This also occurs with wireless mice and keyboards, you
    > need a USB extension or built in USB lead to get them
    > nearer to the device talking to them.
    > DHCP seems to make one attempt to lease addresses,
    > if it fails you have to do a repair to get it to try again.

    Also happens with USB wi-fi NICs. Really annoying that in one room with 4
    computers all on the same router, 2 with Gigabyte USB nics and 2 with D-link
    USB nics, only 1 with a Gigabyte USB nic seems to be almost always online
    without a problem. The other 3 intermittently decide the network isn't there
    for no reason I can see. There IS a TV there and on or off, it makes no
    difference. A laptop that happens to be within about 10 feet of the router
    with a clear look in at it works quite well (USB Gigabyte NIC). It loses the
    connection once every so often.

    I am becoming convinced that if you want reliable wi-fi, you have to go buy
    the company grade stuff, not the home stuff.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 30, 2006
  4. Fran

    Guest

    On 30-Jul-2006, "Diamontina Cocktail" <> wrote:

    > D-link USB nics

    A total disaster they don't stay connected.
    D-Link seem to buy from a number of sources,
    their USB wireless adapters come in Revision
    A, B, C etc flavours. The boxed CD often doesn't
    match the revision, and their tech support is
    helpless.
    I've found ZyDAS based USB adapters to
    stay connected and have good range/sensitivity.
    Static addressing is worth trying for intermittent
    connectivity, as does a kitchen foil curved
    aluminium reflector.
    About a 7 inch curve with the adapter at the
    focus, I use a thin walled plastic flowerpot with
    the foil covering half the outside circumference,
    secured with elastic bands.
    , Jul 31, 2006