    Mail. He deletes them but they download again the next time.

    Thanks
    Hilary
    Graham Kinder, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Graham Kinder

    JANA Guest

    Normally after the email is downloaded from a server, the email software is
    supposed to tell the server to delete the messages. Check in the email
    software set-up, if this feature is available or being applied.

    Maybe the email service you are using requires the user to log on to a
    service where they must manually go in and delete their emails.

    Normally you should be able to contact your email service, and ask them
    about this type of thing.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Graham Kinder" <> wrote in message
    Can anyone help?

    The same 20 messages are downloading every time my father logs onto Tesco

    JANA, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Graham Kinder

    DC Guest

    Graham Kinder wrote:
    > Can anyone help?

    > The same 20 messages are downloading every time my father logs onto Tesco
    > Mail. He deletes them but they download again the next time.

    He's probably set his email program to leave messages on the server.

    For specific help, tell us Which email client he is using.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com
    DC, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Graham Kinder

    Keme Guest

    Graham Kinder wrote:
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > The same 20 messages are downloading every time my father logs onto Tesco
    > Mail. He deletes them but they download again the next time.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Hilary

    Most likely, the client is set to keep the server copy upon download,
    and make no action on the server when deleting messages.
    In mail account settings ("server settings" or "advanced" section) you
    can uncheck "keep messages on server", or check "delete messages on
    server when deleted / when moved from inbox". Either should do the trick
    in most cases.

    The problem may be on the mail service. We used to have an in house
    linux mail server that in some cases would start duplicating messages
    each time they were downloaded, instead of deleting them. So the next
    time we logged on, we got the copy made during the previous login, and
    after a short time the server hard disk was full.
    Keme, Apr 9, 2005