    install a specific boot manager.

    Thank you

    , Jun 18, 2007

  2. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-18, <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to repartition the drive to specify that the primary
    > partition starts at sector 63? As of now the systems primary
    > partition starts at sector 32. I need it to start on sector 63 to
    > install a specific boot manager.
    >
    > Thank you

    Which boot manager? Why that one? Why does it want more room?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 19, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jun 19, 12:01 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    > On 2007-06-18, <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way to repartition the drive to specify that the primary
    > > partition starts at sector 63? As of now the systems primary
    > > partition starts at sector 32. I need it to start on sector 63 to
    > > install a specific boot manager.

    > > Thank you

    > Which boot manager? Why that one? Why does it want more room?
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    Boot manager: OSL2000
    Why that one? It works really well for what we need
    It needs more room because it installs itself at the begining of the
    disk, in the MBR

    , Jun 19, 2007
  4. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-19, <> wrote:
    > On Jun 19, 12:01 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >> On 2007-06-18, <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is there a way to repartition the drive to specify that the primary
    >> > partition starts at sector 63? As of now the systems primary
    >> > partition starts at sector 32. I need it to start on sector 63 to
    >> > install a specific boot manager.

    >> > Thank you

    >> Which boot manager? Why that one? Why does it want more room?

    > Boot manager: OSL2000
    > Why that one? It works really well for what we need

    You need to spend money on something that needs you to change the size of
    the MBR (which I think would mean having to reformat the entire HD)?

    > It needs more room because it installs itself at the begining of the
    > disk, in the MBR

    Any boot manager is going to use the MBR; that is what the MBR is for. Try
    GAG <http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html>; it works well for me, and
    it's 'Free and open source'. I've never been told I need a bigger MBR.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 19, 2007
  5. cizzo Guest

    On Jun 19, 12:24 pm, Whiskers <> wrote:
    > On 2007-06-19, <> wrote:

    > >> Which boot manager? Why that one? Why does it want more room?

    > > Boot manager: OSL2000
    > > Why that one? It works really well for what we need

    > You need to spend money on something that needs you to change the size of
    > the MBR (which I think would mean having to reformat the entire HD)?
    >
    > > It needs more room because it installs itself at the begining of the
    > > disk, in the MBR

    > Any boot manager is going to use the MBR; that is what the MBR is for. Try
    > GAG <http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html>; it works well for me, and
    > it's 'Free and open source'. I've never been told I need a bigger MBR.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    Thank you for the suggestions. I don't think GAG would be a good
    option for us due to the fact it has stopped being supported, and also
    is not verified with use of Vista.
    I have no problem repartitioning the drive, its just specifying that
    primary partition start at sector 63

    cizzo, Jun 21, 2007
  6. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-21, cizzo <> wrote:
    > On Jun 19, 12:24 pm, Whiskers <> wrote:

    >> > Boot manager: OSL2000
    >> > Why that one? It works really well for what we need

    >> You need to spend money on something that needs you to change the size of
    >> the MBR (which I think would mean having to reformat the entire HD)?
    >>
    >> > It needs more room because it installs itself at the begining of the
    >> > disk, in the MBR

    >> Any boot manager is going to use the MBR; that is what the MBR is for. Try
    >> GAG <http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html>; it works well for me, and
    >> it's 'Free and open source'. I've never been told I need a bigger MBR.

    > Thank you for the suggestions. I don't think GAG would be a good
    > option for us due to the fact it has stopped being supported,

    Says who? The project still seems to be active - and being open source,
    it's future support is a lot less uncertain than that of any closed source
    commercial product, at any price. The sofware certainly hasn't stopped
    working!

    > and also
    > is not verified with use of Vista.

    Verified by whom and why? Try the forums linked from
    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gag>.

    > I have no problem repartitioning the drive, its just specifying that
    > primary partition start at sector 63

    I would hope that the providers of the software you want to use, would be
    able to earn the registration fee by providing that sort of help. What
    else is the money for? If they can't or won't help then I'd take that as
    a strong suggestion that their product is not for me. There are other
    boot managers to consider; see
    <http://www.webcrawler.com/webcrawler/ws/results/Web/!22boot%20manager!22/1
    /417/TopNavigation/Relevance/zoom=off/_iceUrlFlag=7?_IceUrl=true> or
    <http://shortlinks.co.uk/2ny>.

    I think you'll find that the MBR is the whole of 'sector 0', so the size
    will be the size of one sector as specified when running the formatting
    software. I don't know what 'sector 63' has to do with it.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q69013/>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 21, 2007
  7. Ardent Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:24:14 -0700, wrote:

    >Is there a way to repartition the drive to specify that the primary
    >partition starts at sector 63? As of now the systems primary
    >partition starts at sector 32. I need it to start on sector 63 to
    >install a specific boot manager.

    You can use Ranish's Partition Manager ver 2.40

    http://www.ranish.com/part/

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroup only

    For links to Harddisk management freeware
    http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/harddisk.htm

    ***

    Ardent, Jun 23, 2007
  8. cizzo Guest

    On Jun 22, 6:32 pm, Ardent <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:24:14 -0700, wrote:
    > >Is there a way to repartition the drive to specify that the primary
    > >partition starts at sector 63? As of now the systems primary
    > >partition starts at sector 32. I need it to start on sector 63 to
    > >install a specific boot manager.

    > You can use Ranish's Partition Manager ver 2.40
    >
    > http://www.ranish.com/part/
    >
    > --
    > Sandy Archer
    > Reply to newsgroup only
    >
    > For links to Harddisk management freewarehttp://members.tripod.com/~diligent/harddisk.htm
    >
    > ***

    I've started using Ranish Partition Manager. Is there a way to
    sepcify the starting sector, I have been able to specify the startying
    cylinder but that makes the primary partition start at a very high
    sector. Also it does not look like Ranish is able to create NTFS
    partitions. Any further suggestions?

    cizzo, Jun 25, 2007