Repairing XP but no OS found

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?KioqVG9taW5GTCoqKg==?=, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. Several MVP's have directed me/others to this proceedure to enable me to move
    my HDD to a new PC. But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the c:
    partition but no OS. But that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using XP
    home) How can it not be seeing the XP home OS?

    How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair
    installation?

    Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
    about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your
    computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your
    computer.

    1.
    When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen,
    press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

    2.
    Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
    press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

    3.
    Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

    4.
    In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
    agreement.

    5.
    Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the
    box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

    6.
    Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

    =?Utf-8?B?KioqVG9taW5GTCoqKg==?=, Nov 5, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?KioqVG9taW5GTCoqKg==?=

    Tanya Guest

    Is there any other partition showing in setup? Maybe move the HD to ide 1 as
    master or however your HD has to be configured for the only drive. Put the
    CD on ide 2. Sometimes there are problems if they are both on the same IDE
    and you are setting up the computer. What they said should work.

    Tanya, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Cd is on IDE2, HD is on IDE1. Only c: shows but it does not say it has
    Windows installed. If I select it it then wants to load it and I'm affraid
    that's a wipe of the old.

    =?Utf-8?B?KioqVG9taW5GTCoqKg==?=, Nov 7, 2004
  4. I hate to tell you this, but XP is proprietary to the machine it was loaded
    on. (Unless they both have the same mother board and chipset, I am told but
    am not certain about that even) If the orginal HD is moved to another
    machine, it will boot to a blue screen telling you about and error and run
    was stopped to protect the computer.
    Move the HD back to the orginal machine, and the bad boot will show when it
    prompts to run in safe mode. After running safe and exiting, it will run fine
    again...but on that machine.

    To move a drive to another machine, there are programs out there purported
    to be able to do it. I have tried none, but have found that a new install is
    the best way to do a new machine. Back up ( to another hard drive that you
    make the D drive to copy, is good option, then move the HD and install XP.
    then reinstall the programs and then install the D data drive and move data.

    MS knew what they were doing...really messing up every one. You can copy XP
    to another HD using a program like West Digits or dirve copy...but only to
    put XP on a larger dirve in the same machine.

    I don't know all the ins and outs, but this is what I have found so
    far....the long hard way.

    Greg

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3JlZw==?=, Nov 7, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?KioqVG9taW5GTCoqKg==?=

    Tanya Guest

    I followed this off Windows BBS awhile
    back.http://www.windowsbbs.com/index.php?s=37299e3e913f3c3590636149bca66bbc
    Sorry don't have a link to the thread. I copied part of it. Here it is off
    my notes
    Replace Motherboard

    Boot with the XP cd in the drive.
    Go into the bios at post and set the cd drive as the first boot device.

    restart the computer and when you get a message to "Press any key to boot
    from cd" DO So

    Go through all of the XP screens just like your going to do a fresh install.

    Finally Windows will find the partition and give you a choice to "Press R to
    repair windows" or "Press D to delete partition"
    Obviously press "R"

    Windows will wipe out the driver data base and windows updates and reinstall
    all of your devices including your new motherboard.
    No data will be lost and you will be cooking with gas in about an hour.

    Just remember..... go past the screen that says "Press R for recovery
    consloe" you don't want to select that choice.
    This is what happened. I did a bakup of my information and data just to be
    safe. Then i did what ssmith10en said to do and VIOLA! it worked. the boot
    was succesful. I went to windows update, downloaded all the updates and
    updated the bios. MAN it felt like your head was going to explode when going
    through the process. I was a bit scared because the chipset i had for my
    original board was VIA and the other boards chipst eas SIS and i felt
    windows would not find it compatible and fry itself. but it worked out just
    right.

    Tanya, Nov 7, 2004