Repairing Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mark mandel, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
    > I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    > Every now and then I get a systems crash.
    > When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
    > missing or corrupt
    > To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
    > Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
    > I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
    > anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen in
    > the first place.
    > Any infomation,I would be grateful
    > Many thanks

    If you know the exact name of the file which is located in Windows\System32,
    you could then extract it(or "expand" in WinXP)from the CD to your hard
    drive. Otherwise you'd need to do a "repair/install."(which means don't
    type in "r" to access the Recovery Console, instead hit "enter" and follow
    the directions which will lead to pressing "R" again to do this procedure).

    mark mandel, Jun 17, 2004

  2. mark  mandel

    Dominic Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
    > I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    > Every now and then I get a systems crash.
    > When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file
    > is missing or corrupt
    > To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
    > Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
    > I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
    > anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to
    > happen in the first place.

    Could you fix your clock please. Right time, right day, right month, wrong
    year.

    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 17, 2004

  3. mark  mandel

    Boomer Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote:

    > Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
    > I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    > Every now and then I get a systems crash.
    > When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a
    > file is missing or corrupt
    > To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
    > Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
    > I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to
    > work. Can anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is
    > causing this to happen in the first place.
    > Any infomation,I would be grateful
    > Many thanks

    June 17, 2005! You're a year ahead of us all.
    Please fix. Thanks. :)

    Boomer, Jun 17, 2004
  4. mark  mandel

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote:

    >Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
    >I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    >Every now and then I get a systems crash.
    >When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
    >missing or corrupt
    >To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
    >Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
    >I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
    >anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen in
    >the first place.
    >Any infomation,I would be grateful
    >Many thanks

    That usually indicates a corrupt or missing registry file. The error
    message should also include the name of the file, which is helpful.

    In order to fix this problem you need to have a Windows XP
    Installation CD. The "System Recovery Disk" provided with many name
    brand computers usually does not have the needed functionalilty to do
    this.

    1. Go into the BIOS setup of your configure and locate the section
    which controls the drive sequece for booting up the computer. This
    should read :"A:, CDROM, C:" or "CDROM, A:, C:" in order to allow you
    to use repair and diagnostic tools on 3.5 inch diskettes or CDROM
    disks.

    2. After ensuring the boot drive sequence is okay insert the Windows
    XP Installation CD into the drive and boot the computer. It should
    boot from the CD and give you a menu that includes the "Repair
    (Recovery Console)" option which is the one that you should choose.
    And if you do not see that option then you need to cancel out and use
    the diskette option described below.

    3. When the computer boots from the CD to the Recovery Console it
    will (eventually) stop at the C:\> prompt. At that point you enter
    the following command. Type it exactly as shown, including the blank
    spaces and press the enter key after typing the last character..

    CHKDSK /R

    If your Windows XP CD does not give you the Repair (Recovery Console)
    option when you boot from it then you need to download the 6 diskette
    set of boot disks from Microsoft

    Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310994
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994

    Use these diskettes to boot the computer, starting with #1 and
    inserting the others when asked to do so. When the process is
    complete it will stop at the A:\> prompt and you can then use the
    CHKDSK /R command as described above.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jun 17, 2004
  5. mark  mandel

    Andy Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "Ray" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
    > >I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    > >Every now and then I get a systems crash.
    > >When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
    > >missing or corrupt
    > >To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
    > >Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
    > >I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
    > >anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen

    in
    > >the first place.
    > >Any infomation,I would be grateful
    > >Many thanks
    > >

    > That usually indicates a corrupt or missing registry file. The error
    > message should also include the name of the file, which is helpful.
    >
    > In order to fix this problem you need to have a Windows XP
    > Installation CD. The "System Recovery Disk" provided with many name
    > brand computers usually does not have the needed functionalilty to do
    > this.
    >
    > 1. Go into the BIOS setup of your configure and locate the section
    > which controls the drive sequece for booting up the computer. This
    > should read :"A:, CDROM, C:" or "CDROM, A:, C:" in order to allow you
    > to use repair and diagnostic tools on 3.5 inch diskettes or CDROM
    > disks.
    >
    > 2. After ensuring the boot drive sequence is okay insert the Windows
    > XP Installation CD into the drive and boot the computer. It should
    > boot from the CD and give you a menu that includes the "Repair
    > (Recovery Console)" option which is the one that you should choose.
    > And if you do not see that option then you need to cancel out and use
    > the diskette option described below.
    >
    > 3. When the computer boots from the CD to the Recovery Console it
    > will (eventually) stop at the C:\> prompt. At that point you enter
    > the following command. Type it exactly as shown, including the blank
    > spaces and press the enter key after typing the last character..
    >
    > CHKDSK /R
    >

    > If your Windows XP CD does not give you the Repair (Recovery Console)
    > option when you boot from it then you need to download the 6 diskette
    > set of boot disks from Microsoft
    >
    > Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
    > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310994
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994
    >
    > Use these diskettes to boot the computer, starting with #1 and
    > inserting the others when asked to do so. When the process is
    > complete it will stop at the A:\> prompt and you can then use the
    > CHKDSK /R command as described above.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    This repair will delete viruses ?

    Andy, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Andy wrote:

    > "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    >> "Ray" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
    >> >I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    >> >Every now and then I get a systems crash.
    >> >When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
    >> >missing or corrupt
    >> >To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
    >> >Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
    >> >I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
    >> >anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen

    > in
    >> >the first place.
    >> >Any infomation,I would be grateful
    >> >Many thanks
    >> >

    >> That usually indicates a corrupt or missing registry file. The error
    >> message should also include the name of the file, which is helpful.
    >>
    >> In order to fix this problem you need to have a Windows XP
    >> Installation CD. The "System Recovery Disk" provided with many name
    >> brand computers usually does not have the needed functionalilty to do
    >> this.
    >>
    >> 1. Go into the BIOS setup of your configure and locate the section
    >> which controls the drive sequece for booting up the computer. This
    >> should read :"A:, CDROM, C:" or "CDROM, A:, C:" in order to allow you
    >> to use repair and diagnostic tools on 3.5 inch diskettes or CDROM
    >> disks.
    >>
    >> 2. After ensuring the boot drive sequence is okay insert the Windows
    >> XP Installation CD into the drive and boot the computer. It should
    >> boot from the CD and give you a menu that includes the "Repair
    >> (Recovery Console)" option which is the one that you should choose.
    >> And if you do not see that option then you need to cancel out and use
    >> the diskette option described below.
    >>
    >> 3. When the computer boots from the CD to the Recovery Console it
    >> will (eventually) stop at the C:\> prompt. At that point you enter
    >> the following command. Type it exactly as shown, including the blank
    >> spaces and press the enter key after typing the last character..
    >>
    >> CHKDSK /R
    >>

    >> If your Windows XP CD does not give you the Repair (Recovery Console)
    >> option when you boot from it then you need to download the 6 diskette
    >> set of boot disks from Microsoft
    >>
    >> Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
    >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310994
    >> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994
    >>
    >> Use these diskettes to boot the computer, starting with #1 and
    >> inserting the others when asked to do so. When the process is
    >> complete it will stop at the A:\> prompt and you can then use the
    >> CHKDSK /R command as described above.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

    > This repair will delete viruses ?

    No.
    The next step is Start > Windows Update. Download and install ALL "critical
    updates." Then download and install antivirus and firewall applications as
    suggested by others in other messages in this newsgroup.

    If you are on a dialup connection and you have never installed updates, it
    is a daunting task--several hours of downloading. But you MUST do this as
    one essential step in protecting yourself from further problems.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Jun 18, 2004
  7. mark  mandel

    john wall Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
    > I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    > Every now and then I get a systems crash.
    > When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
    > missing or corrupt
    > To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
    > Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
    > I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
    > anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen in
    > the first place.
    > Any infomation,I would be grateful
    > Many thanks

    fix your time on your newsreader program........it's 2004, not 2005

    john wall, Jun 18, 2004
  8. mark  mandel

    ~S~ Guest

    Any of you mofo's ever even tried SFC (system file checker) ???

    It is a windows feature, start/run/ type in 'sfc' then press enter.

    It restores all xp system files as needed.

    Stop wasting his time with lamer crap that takes 16 x as long to get
    nowhere.

    ~S~, Jun 19, 2004
  9. mark  mandel

    Barney Guest

    Start>>Run>>sfc /scannow
    is the proper entry for XP

    Barney, Jun 19, 2004
  10. mark  mandel

    ~S~ Guest

    good on you

    ~S~, Jun 19, 2004
  11. mark  mandel

    Boomer Guest

    "~S~" <> wrote:

    > good on you

    Over 140 lines posted to say that?!

    Boomer, Jun 19, 2004
  12. mark  mandel

    ~S~ Guest

    the bit/byte keeper has spoken

    imagine how much imaginary space im wasting

    ~S~

    ~S~, Jun 19, 2004
  13. mark  mandel

    Boomer Guest

    "~S~" <> wrote:

    > the bit/byte keeper has spoken
    >
    > imagine how much imaginary space im wasting
    >
    > ~S~

    And time.. downloading all that.

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "~S~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > good on you

    >> Over 140 lines posted to say that?!

    [snip]

    Boomer, Jun 19, 2004
  14. mark  mandel

    John Ruddy Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
    > I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    > Every now and then I get a systems crash.
    > When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
    > missing or corrupt
    > To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
    > Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
    > I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
    > anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen in
    > the first place.
    > Any infomation,I would be grateful
    > Many thanks

    try a clean reinstall using your setup disks.

    John Ruddy, Jul 7, 2004
  15. mark  mandel

    grayghost Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in news:40d1c3b8$0$71130
    $:

    <schnipp>

    > June 17, 2005! You're a year ahead of us all.
    > Please fix. Thanks. :)

    I bet a Kiwi would fix it...

    Any word on Grappler?

    Ray, Jun 17, 2005