    Mueller? Is it worth buying as a reference? I already have several A+
    books including the Mike Meyers All in One.

    Gary
    Gary, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Gary

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anybody have the book "Upgrading and Repairing PC'S" by Scott
    > Mueller? Is it worth buying as a reference? I already have several A+
    > books including the Mike Meyers All in One.
    >
    > Gary

    I have heard good results with using that book as a suppliment. If it's just
    the Core exam you are looking to pass, Mike Meyers All in One should be
    enough. I say this because that's all I used, along with a few online
    practice tests. Just as long as you took the time to memorize some of the
    tables of info he's laid out for you, you should do alright.. My experience
    on the real exam showed that I was weakest in the printers and networking
    areas. This is not all surprising because for some reason, well... I find
    printers boring!

    If you think you need an additional source, the book you mention should be a
    good one, based on the reviews I have read
    PlazticSoul, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I have already passed the A+, Network+, MCP, and Novell. So I'm just
    thinking of it as an extra reference.

    Gary

    Gary, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Gary

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    >I have already passed the A+, Network+, MCP, and Novell. So I'm just
    > thinking of it as an extra reference.
    >
    > Gary

    First of all, congratulations! Second of all, you should probably want to
    cover new ground. If you like books, go for it, but I wouldn't expect that
    book to offer any significant amount of new info for someone like you. If it
    were me, I would consider my time better spent taking on more side projects
    for "clients" of mine. Why not go for Cisco or MCSE?
    PlazticSoul, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Gary

    sethra Guest

    Gary <> wrote in

    > Does anybody have the book "Upgrading and Repairing PC'S" by Scott
    > Mueller? Is it worth buying as a reference? I already have several A+
    > books including the Mike Meyers All in One.
    >
    > Gary

    I have Mueller's 13th edition and the latest "All in One." I'm quite
    pleased with "Upgrading & Repairing" and much prefer Mueller's writing
    style to Meyers'.

    As a bonus, the cd that came with it contains the book in pdf form; handy
    to copy to a laptop and not carry the book itself around. I haven't
    checked the cd that came with my Meyers book yet to see if it has a pdf
    version.

    Both are dependable references. If you want a *textbook*, snag Mueller.
    If you want gosh-wow-isn't-this-cool, keep Meyers.

    IMO, YMMV, blahblahblah.

    --
    ~sethra
    sethra, Jun 2, 2004
  6. Gary

    AG Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Does anybody have the book "Upgrading and Repairing PC'S" by Scott
    > Mueller? Is it worth buying as a reference? I already have several A+
    > books including the Mike Meyers All in One.
    >
    > Gary

    I've got three versions of it, one an old Linux version. I haven't gotten a
    new one for a couple of years but it's probably time to.

    AG
    AG, Jun 2, 2004
  7. On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:49:46 -0500, "PlazticSoul"
    <> wrote:

    >"Gary" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anybody have the book "Upgrading and Repairing PC'S" by Scott
    >> Mueller? Is it worth buying as a reference? I already have several A+
    >> books including the Mike Meyers All in One.
    >>
    >> Gary

    >I have heard good results with using that book as a suppliment. If it's just
    >the Core exam you are looking to pass, Mike Meyers All in One should be
    >enough. I say this because that's all I used, along with a few online
    >practice tests. Just as long as you took the time to memorize some of the
    >tables of info he's laid out for you, you should do alright.. My experience
    >on the real exam showed that I was weakest in the printers and networking
    >areas. This is not all surprising because for some reason, well... I find
    >printers boring!
    >
    >If you think you need an additional source, the book you mention should be a
    >good one, based on the reviews I have read

    I haven't seen recent editions, but my 1st or 2nd Edition had little
    or no OS coverage; it was almost all hardware.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 2, 2004