repairing damaged dvd

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tony, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I have a wedding dvd which has stopped to work properly due to the small
    scratch or maybe poor quality of the DVD used to make it. This is the only
    copy I have. I could not copy this DVD but I managed to read all files from
    the dvd to my computer. When I am creating new dvd using those files it is
    stopping in the same place as the original. I have tried all different
    software I could find to create new avi files which I could turn back into
    DVD but all software is creating separate video and sound which are out of
    sync. I can not find any software which will give me the same length of the
    video and sound or the best one avi with picture and sound inside.
    As mentioned before using slow reading speed I managed to create new set of
    files on my harddrive which I have used again to create another copy of my
    dvd. I have used create video DVD in Nero 6. I have noticed that the problem
    starts when movie is switching between two of vob files. Is it any way of
    fixing this ? Is it any other, better way which will solve my problem.
    How else I can repair my video.

    Thanks for suggestions,

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Tony

    Byron Forbes Guest

    Toothpaste.

    Byron Forbes, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Tony

    Smarty Guest

    Mild abrasives like toothpaste sometimes will reduce or remove scratches.
    But since you have already copied the files to a computer. I would suggest
    TMPGE DVD Author. It will allow you to reauthor the disk with no loss of
    quality to another DVD if you already have the VOB, IFO, and BUP files on
    your computer. There is a fully functional trial version available. It does
    not appear to have any problems with maintaining lip synch.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Tony

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:52:18 +1000, "Tony" <> wrote:

    > I have a wedding dvd which has stopped to work properly due to the small
    > scratch or maybe poor quality of the DVD used to make it. This is the only
    > copy I have. I could not copy this DVD but I managed to read all files from

    Someone else has a copy of it. Ask them if you can borrow it in order to make a
    new copy.

    Ken Oaf, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Tony

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Byron Forbes wrote:

    > Toothpaste.

    Will toothpaste work with burned DVDs? (I'm assuming that the OP has a
    burned rather than a pressed copy.)

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Sep 28, 2004
  6. Tony

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    > Mild abrasives like toothpaste sometimes will reduce or remove scratches.
    > But since you have already copied the files to a computer. I would suggest
    > TMPGE DVD Author. It will allow you to reauthor the disk with no loss of
    > quality to another DVD if you already have the VOB, IFO, and BUP files on
    > your computer. There is a fully functional trial version available. It
    > does not appear to have any problems with maintaining lip synch.
    >
    > Smarty

    What "Smarty" said, and you could run the .mpg files that the
    "Add DVD video" button process makes, through "VideoReDo"
    www.VideoReDo.com before you make the new DVD.

    TMPGEnc DVD Author is at www.pegasys-inc.com

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Sep 28, 2004
  7. Tony

    Russell Guest

    If the scratch is on the bottom side, a mild fine abrasive or a
    commercial repair kit might work.

    If the scratch is on the label side, then you're SOL.

    A long shot might be to find a program that will dump the
    contents of the disc in spite of errors. Then you may be able to
    repair the damaged files. I don't know if the software you used
    to copy the files actually got everything. The are several Linux
    programs that can do the dump and probably a few non-commercial
    Windows programs as well. Just guessing, but it sounds like the
    link field between the files got clobbered.

    Russell, Sep 28, 2004
  8. On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:52:18 +1000, "Tony" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a wedding dvd which has stopped to work properly due to the small
    >scratch or maybe poor quality of the DVD used to make it. This is the only
    >copy I have. I could not copy this DVD but I managed to read all files from
    >the dvd to my computer. When I am creating new dvd using those files it is
    >stopping in the same place as the original. I have tried all different
    >software I could find to create new avi files which I could turn back into
    >DVD but all software is creating separate video and sound which are out of
    >sync. I can not find any software which will give me the same length of the
    >video and sound or the best one avi with picture and sound inside.
    >As mentioned before using slow reading speed I managed to create new set of
    >files on my harddrive which I have used again to create another copy of my
    >dvd. I have used create video DVD in Nero 6. I have noticed that the problem
    >starts when movie is switching between two of vob files. Is it any way of
    >fixing this ? Is it any other, better way which will solve my problem.
    >How else I can repair my video.
    >
    >Thanks for suggestions,
    >
    >Tony

    I watch a lot of DVDs from my local library....many of them wont play
    because of damage to the playing surface.

    Somthing that is cheap, available, and has almost always worked.....

    Repolish the surface of disk with a little baking soda and a damp
    terry cloth face towel. After you are done rinse under the faucet and
    wipe dry.

    Simple cheap and effective.

    Serial # 19781010, Sep 29, 2004
  9. On or about Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:05:21 -0400, Dick Sidbury allegedly wrote:

    > Byron Forbes wrote:
    >
    > > Toothpaste.
    > >

    > Will toothpaste work with burned DVDs? (I'm assuming that the OP has a
    > burned rather than a pressed copy.)

    Shouldn't make any difference. You're only polishing the bottom surface,
    not the data layer/s, which in a DVD is in the centre of the disk, not at
    the top like a CD.

    Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)

    Noel Bachelor, Sep 30, 2004
  10. On or about Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:42:06 -0500, Russell allegedly wrote:

    > If the scratch is on the bottom side, a mild fine abrasive or a
    > commercial repair kit might work.
    >
    > If the scratch is on the label side, then you're SOL.

    That would probably be true if it was a CD, but he said its a DVD.

    In a CD, the data is at the top surface with only a thin layer of laquer
    protection. In a DVD the data is sandwiched in the middle, with 1.1mm of
    polycarbonate top and bottom. If it's a double layer disc, the two
    substrate discs are usually pressed with their respective data, and then
    spun together with an adhesive layer between. A single layer disc is done
    the same but with one layer is just flat.

    Your data is better protected from scratches in a DVD, though as the data
    pits are smaller, more will be affected by scratches that cause optical
    problems.

    Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)

    Noel Bachelor, Sep 30, 2004
  11. Tony

    Toshi1873 Guest

    In article <cjc0ka$l8p$>,
    says...
    > If the scratch is on the bottom side, a mild fine abrasive or a
    > commercial repair kit might work.
    >
    > If the scratch is on the label side, then you're SOL.

    You're getting confused with CDs where the reflective
    layer and dye layer are close to the label side (about
    80% or 90% of the distance).

    DVD reflective/dye layers are in the middle of the plastic
    (so that you can do things like double-sided DVDs).

    Toshi1873, Sep 30, 2004
  12. On or about Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:54:01 GMT, Noel Bachelor allegedly wrote:

    > In a DVD the data is sandwiched in the middle, with 1.1mm of
    > polycarbonate top and bottom.

    Oops, make that about 0.6mm of polycarbonate each side. CDs and DVDs are
    both 1.2mm thick.

    Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)

    Noel Bachelor, Sep 30, 2004
  13. Tony

    Guest

    You and people like you are such a laugh. If you had put your video
    on VHS tape you would still have it. If there is a flaw in the tape,
    you just splice it and only lose a few frames. If a DVD gets a flaw,
    you lose it ALL. Anyone that trusts valuable data to a DVD (or a CD),
    is an idiot.

    wrote:

    >I have a wedding dvd which has stopped to work properly due to the small
    >scratch or maybe poor quality of the DVD used to make it. This is the only
    >copy I have. I could not copy this DVD but I managed to read all files from
    >the dvd to my computer. When I am creating new dvd using those files it is
    >stopping in the same place as the original. I have tried all different
    >software I could find to create new avi files which I could turn back into
    >DVD but all software is creating separate video and sound which are out of
    >sync. I can not find any software which will give me the same length of the
    >video and sound or the best one avi with picture and sound inside.
    >As mentioned before using slow reading speed I managed to create new set of
    >files on my harddrive which I have used again to create another copy of my
    >dvd. I have used create video DVD in Nero 6. I have noticed that the problem
    >starts when movie is switching between two of vob files. Is it any way of
    >fixing this ? Is it any other, better way which will solve my problem.
    >How else I can repair my video.
    >
    >Thanks for suggestions,
    >
    >Tony

    , Oct 9, 2004
  14. Tony

    Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > You and people like you are such a laugh. If you had put your video
    > on VHS tape you would still have it. If there is a flaw in the tape,
    > you just splice it and only lose a few frames. If a DVD gets a flaw,
    > you lose it ALL. Anyone that trusts valuable data to a DVD (or a CD),
    > is an idiot.

    =========================
    Tape degrades everytime you play it.
    Tape degrades everytime you DON'T play it.
    Anyone that trusts valuable data to a VHS tape, (or a cassette tape) is an
    idiot.

    Richard C., Oct 9, 2004
  15. Tony

    Guest

    n Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:22:22 -0700, "Richard C."
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> You and people like you are such a laugh. If you had put your video
    >> on VHS tape you would still have it. If there is a flaw in the tape,
    >> you just splice it and only lose a few frames. If a DVD gets a flaw,
    >> you lose it ALL. Anyone that trusts valuable data to a DVD (or a CD),
    >> is an idiot.
    >>

    >=========================
    >Tape degrades everytime you play it.
    >Tape degrades everytime you DON'T play it.
    >Anyone that trusts valuable data to a VHS tape, (or a cassette tape) is an
    >idiot.

    Which is exactly why I save my most valuable data (my photos) on a
    spare harddrive. It gets costly buying harddrives, but it's one of
    the safest methods. Of course a harddrive can fail too, so there is
    always another backup of some sort, which is generally an actual
    backup tape, or a zip disk.

    , Oct 10, 2004
  16. wrote:

    >n Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:22:22 -0700, "Richard C."
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>You and people like you are such a laugh. If you had put your video
    >>>on VHS tape you would still have it. If there is a flaw in the tape,
    >>>you just splice it and only lose a few frames. If a DVD gets a flaw,
    >>>you lose it ALL. Anyone that trusts valuable data to a DVD (or a CD),
    >>>is an idiot.
    >>>

    >>=========================
    >>Tape degrades everytime you play it.
    >>Tape degrades everytime you DON'T play it.
    >>Anyone that trusts valuable data to a VHS tape, (or a cassette tape) is an
    >>idiot.
    >>

    >Which is exactly why I save my most valuable data (my photos) on a
    >spare harddrive. It gets costly buying harddrives, but it's one of
    >the safest methods. Of course a harddrive can fail too, so there is
    >always another backup of some sort, which is generally an actual
    >backup tape, or a zip disk.

    It's not that costly anymore. At less that $1 per Gb, hardrives
    represent the one of the cheapest, fastest and most available long-term,
    reliable storage systems around. I store all of my data, including
    photos, music, videos, scanned documents, everything on a RAID array of
    hard-drives. It's simple and efficient.

    One of the most amazing changes in the household is thinking, should I
    compress this CD or just copy it, at the end of the day all I'm having
    is a debate over storing the cd verbatim at a cost of $0.60 or
    compressing it to save all of $0.40 cents. Kinda makes the decision an
    obvious one doesn't it.

    Michael C

    Michael S Cox, Oct 10, 2004
  17. Tony

    GMAN Guest

    In article <416838ad$0$28238$>, "Richard C." <> wrote:
    ><> wrote in message
    >> You and people like you are such a laugh. If you had put your video
    >> on VHS tape you would still have it. If there is a flaw in the tape,
    >> you just splice it and only lose a few frames. If a DVD gets a flaw,
    >> you lose it ALL. Anyone that trusts valuable data to a DVD (or a CD),
    >> is an idiot.
    >>

    >=========================
    >Tape degrades everytime you play it.
    >Tape degrades everytime you DON'T play it.
    >Anyone that trusts valuable data to a VHS tape, (or a cassette tape) is an
    >idiot.

    And to add to that, NO one in their right mind would "splice" a video tape. If
    the splice seperates and the adhesive makes contact with the video head it
    will rip the head clear off.

    GMAN, Oct 15, 2004
  18. Tony

    Cory Seedan Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:12:25 GMT,
    (GMAN) wrote:

    >In article <416838ad$0$28238$>, "Richard C." <> wrote:
    >><> wrote in message
    >>> You and people like you are such a laugh. If you had put your video
    >>> on VHS tape you would still have it. If there is a flaw in the tape,
    >>> you just splice it and only lose a few frames. If a DVD gets a flaw,
    >>> you lose it ALL. Anyone that trusts valuable data to a DVD (or a CD),
    >>> is an idiot.
    >>>

    >>=========================
    >>Tape degrades everytime you play it.
    >>Tape degrades everytime you DON'T play it.
    >>Anyone that trusts valuable data to a VHS tape, (or a cassette tape) is an
    >>idiot.
    >>

    >And to add to that, NO one in their right mind would "splice" a video tape. If
    >the splice seperates and the adhesive makes contact with the video head it
    >will rip the head clear off.

    Hell, we make repairs of that sort all the time. Use a high grade
    splicing tape, and play the tape back only once. We make a good
    working copy or two of the spliced tape for general use, then affix a
    warning about the splice to the repaired tape and store it away for
    safekeeping.

    In any case, its good practice to make a backup copy of any important
    recording, regardless of the recording media, BEFORE it becomes
    damaged.

    Cory Seedan, Oct 17, 2004