    I'd think there should be some way to repair them. Any suggestions?

    --
    BT

    Bill Turner, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Bill Turner

    unclejr Guest

    Bill Turner wrote:
    > I know the non-RW discs would be history, but these are rewritable
    > and I'd think there should be some way to repair them. Any
    > suggestions?

    Try to reformat them with a different program than what you are using.
    -Junior

    unclejr, Jan 29, 2005

  3. >Bill Turner <> wrote:

    >I have some DVD-RWs which are now coasters, unreadable by WinXP. When
    >put in the drive, they can not even be formatted or erased. They just
    >cause Windows Explorer to hang.
    >
    >I know the non-RW discs would be history, but these are rewritable and
    >I'd think there should be some way to repair them. Any suggestions?

    Under the heading of "for what it's worth":
    I had a CD-RW go south, requested Nero to write a tiny extra file to
    it, something like 60k. There was a warning that because the last
    write wasn't a multisession, XP likely wouldn't be able to read the
    disk afterwards (for whatever reason, erasing didn't seem to be an
    option). The write went smoothly; as predicted XP didn't seem aware
    anything was in the drive. Also didn't see any other disk that had
    been formerly written, which was a tad scary

    At this point I probably should have rebooted, but didn't. Reinstalled
    Nero, then rebooted. Everything was back as it should be, the CD-RW
    has been reused many times, and XP sees it as with any other disk.

    Maureen Goldman, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Bill Turner

    Bill Turner Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:57:35 -0800, Maureen Goldman
    <> wrote:

    >Under the heading of "for what it's worth":
    >I had a CD-RW go south, requested Nero to write a tiny extra file to
    >it, something like 60k. There was a warning that because the last
    >write wasn't a multisession, XP likely wouldn't be able to read the
    >disk afterwards (for whatever reason, erasing didn't seem to be an
    >option). The write went smoothly; as predicted XP didn't seem aware
    >anything was in the drive. Also didn't see any other disk that had
    >been formerly written, which was a tad scary
    >
    >At this point I probably should have rebooted, but didn't. Reinstalled
    >Nero, then rebooted. Everything was back as it should be, the CD-RW
    >has been reused many times, and XP sees it as with any other disk.

    Thanks, will try that.

    --
    BT

    Bill Turner, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Bill Turner

    Bill Turner Guest

    On 29 Jan 2005 10:20:35 -0800, "unclejr" <> wrote:

    >Try to reformat them with a different program than what you are using.
    >-Junior

    Will do, thanks.

    --
    BT

    Bill Turner, Jan 30, 2005
  6. On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:40:00 -0800, Bill Turner <>
    wrote:

    >I have some DVD-RWs which are now coasters, unreadable by WinXP. When
    >put in the drive, they can not even be formatted or erased. They just
    >cause Windows Explorer to hang.
    >
    >I know the non-RW discs would be history, but these are rewritable and
    >I'd think there should be some way to repair them. Any suggestions?

    Wait for a very hot day in summer and leave them exposed to bright sun
    on a flat surface for about 6 or 7 hours. Used to work for CD/RW's,
    at least when they first came out.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Jan 30, 2005
  7. Bill Turner

    Bill Turner Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:08:00 -0500, E. Barry Bruyea <it'>
    wrote:

    >Wait for a very hot day in summer and leave them exposed to bright sun
    >on a flat surface for about 6 or 7 hours. Used to work for CD/RW's,
    >at least when they first came out.

    Interesting idea. We have lots of those days here in the Mojave Desert.
    I'll give it a try. Thanks!

    --
    BT

    Bill Turner, Jan 30, 2005