    press Enter? When I do this it just does nothing.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Peejay.

    peejay, Feb 15, 2007

  2. peejay

    WhzzKdd Guest

    peejay wrote:
    > Hi Can you please help a newbie?
    > I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well
    > until Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to
    > select which OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this
    > point? Do I print 1 and press Enter? When I do this it just does
    > nothing.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks Peejay.

    That is getting you into the Recovery Console, not getting you into a Repair
    install of Windows. When you boot from the CD, do NOT press the "R" key to
    do the Recovery Console, but go past that and install Windows again in the
    same location in which it currently is installed.

    WhzzKdd, Feb 15, 2007

  3. peejay

    peejay Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message
    > peejay wrote:
    >> Hi Can you please help a newbie?
    >> I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well
    >> until Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to
    >> select which OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this
    >> point? Do I print 1 and press Enter? When I do this it just does
    >> nothing.
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >> Thanks Peejay.

    > That is getting you into the Recovery Console, not getting you into a
    > Repair install of Windows. When you boot from the CD, do NOT press the "R"
    > key to do the Recovery Console, but go past that and install Windows again
    > in the same location in which it currently is installed.

    Thanks for the prompt reply. If I do as you say I get the message that by
    doing this it will repartition the disk which I don't want.
    Peejay

    peejay, Feb 15, 2007
  4. peejay

    WhzzKdd Guest

    peejay wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message
    >> peejay wrote:
    >>> Hi Can you please help a newbie?
    >>> I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well
    >>> until Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to
    >>> select which OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this
    >>> point? Do I print 1 and press Enter? When I do this it just does
    >>> nothing.
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>> Thanks Peejay.

    >> That is getting you into the Recovery Console, not getting you into a
    >> Repair install of Windows. When you boot from the CD, do NOT press
    >> the "R" key to do the Recovery Console, but go past that and install
    >> Windows again in the same location in which it currently is
    >> installed.

    > Thanks for the prompt reply. If I do as you say I get the message
    > that by doing this it will repartition the disk which I don't want.
    > Peejay

    Assuming you have a genuine Microsoft CD, you should be able to simply
    choose the existing partition, rather than delete it. Oh - and you don't
    want to format it either.

    See if the step-by-step instructions here helps:
    <http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/#XP%20HOME%20CD%20INSTALL,%20REINSTALL%20&%20REPAIR%20GUIDES>

    (If you have a different version of XP, go to
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/ and select your version.)

    WhzzKdd, Feb 15, 2007
  5. peejay

    meerkat Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message
    > peejay wrote:
    >> "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> That is getting you into the Recovery Console, not getting you into a
    >>> Repair install of Windows. When you boot from the CD, do NOT press
    >>> the "R" key to do the Recovery Console, but go past that and install
    >>> Windows again in the same location in which it currently is
    >>> installed.

    >> Thanks for the prompt reply. If I do as you say I get the message
    >> that by doing this it will repartition the disk which I don't want.
    >> Peejay

    > Assuming you have a genuine Microsoft CD, you should be able to simply
    > choose the existing partition, rather than delete it. Oh - and you don't
    > want to format it either.

    Snipped some.

    Go read his post again Whzz !
    He says `have tried to **repair** via disk.

    If you cofuse him, he`ll end up doing a re-install.

    bw..

    meerkat, Feb 15, 2007
  6. peejay

    Ron Martell Guest

    "peejay" <> wrote:

    >Hi Can you please help a newbie?
    >I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well until
    >Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to select which
    >OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this point? Do I print 1 and
    >press Enter? When I do this it just does nothing.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >Thanks Peejay.

    See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.html

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Feb 15, 2007
  7. peejay

    WhzzKdd Guest

    meerkat wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message
    >> peejay wrote:
    >>> "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the prompt reply. If I do as you say I get the message
    >>> that by doing this it will repartition the disk which I don't want.
    >>> Peejay

    >> Assuming you have a genuine Microsoft CD, you should be able to
    >> simply choose the existing partition, rather than delete it. Oh -
    >> and you don't want to format it either.
    >>

    > Snipped some.
    >>

    > Go read his post again Whzz !
    > He says `have tried to **repair** via disk.
    >
    > If you cofuse him, he`ll end up doing a re-install.
    >
    > bw..

    I believe that is what the OP intended. If the user doesn't know enough
    about the recovery console to even know how to get there, I doubt there's
    anything they'd be able to do once they did get into it. From is original
    post, the "repair" sounds like a "repair install" to me.

    WhzzKdd, Feb 16, 2007
  8. peejay

    peejay Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "peejay" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Can you please help a newbie?
    >>I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well until
    >>Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to select
    >>which
    >>OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this point? Do I print 1 and
    >>press Enter? When I do this it just does nothing.
    >>
    >>Any help would be appreciated.
    >>Thanks Peejay.
    >>

    > See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.html
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > Syberfix Remote Computer Repair
    >
    > "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
    > has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Thanks Ron, problem solved.

    Peejay.

    peejay, Feb 17, 2007