    I remember someone posting a link for using the WinXP console to fix dual
    boot systems a while back, but cant seem to find it.. Something along those
    lines would really help..

    JesterDev, Jul 31, 2003

  2. JesterDev

    Auric__ Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:09:28 GMT, "JesterDev" <>
    wrote:

    >I has Linux installed, and needed to remove it. So I used what I was told to
    >be the correct process to rid myself of lilo so I could boot into W2k Pro.
    >But now I cant boot into it. When I boot I get nothing, it just sits there.
    >Anyway, does anyone have some instructions on repairing the boot sector with
    >the w2k console? I tried fixboot, which wrote a new boot sector, but that
    >didn't help..
    >
    >I remember someone posting a link for using the WinXP console to fix dual
    >boot systems a while back, but cant seem to find it.. Something along those
    >lines would really help..

    Were you able to boot into Windows *before* you removed lilo?
    --
    auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com

    Auric__, Jul 31, 2003

  3. JesterDev

    JesterDev Guest

    Yes I could. I was able to boot into win2k with no problems at all.
    I also winxp installed, which came with the computer, but dont have
    the cd's for it. So when I got past lilo it game me another choice
    of windows 2000 pro, or XP.

    JesterDev, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Howdy!

    "JesterDev" <> wrote in message
    > I has Linux installed, and needed to remove it. So I used what I was told

    > be the correct process to rid myself of lilo so I could boot into W2k Pro.
    > But now I cant boot into it. When I boot I get nothing, it just sits

    there.
    > Anyway, does anyone have some instructions on repairing the boot sector

    with
    > the w2k console? I tried fixboot, which wrote a new boot sector, but that
    > didn't help..
    >
    > I remember someone posting a link for using the WinXP console to fix dual
    > boot systems a while back, but cant seem to find it.. Something along

    those
    > lines would really help..

    If LILO was in the master boot record, you also need to do a FIXMBR.

    Try that off of the recovery console.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 1, 2003
  5. "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"JesterDev" <> wrote in message
    >> I has Linux installed, and needed to remove it. So I used what I was told

    >> be the correct process to rid myself of lilo so I could boot into W2k Pro.
    >> But now I cant boot into it. When I boot I get nothing, it just sits

    >there.
    >> Anyway, does anyone have some instructions on repairing the boot sector

    >with
    >> the w2k console? I tried fixboot, which wrote a new boot sector, but that
    >> didn't help..
    >>
    >> I remember someone posting a link for using the WinXP console to fix dual
    >> boot systems a while back, but cant seem to find it.. Something along

    >those
    >> lines would really help..

    > If LILO was in the master boot record, you also need to do a FIXMBR.
    >
    > Try that off of the recovery console.
    >
    > RwP

    Hey, Ralph! When are you going to reply to my 'Outlook/NNTP' post?

    I'm still waiting...

    --

    "It's amazing I won. I was running against
    peace, prosperity, and incumbency."

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Howdy!

    "Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Hey, Ralph! When are you going to reply to my 'Outlook/NNTP' post?
    >
    > I'm still waiting...

    Didn't see it. See, I have this thing called "a life" that keeps me
    from being on the Internet 24/7 ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 1, 2003
  7. JesterDev

    Drosini Jada Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    > Howdy!

    Yerk! What a jerk!

    *PLONK*

    Drosini Jada, Aug 1, 2003
  8. Drosini Jada <> wrote:

    >Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    >> Howdy!

    >Yerk! What a jerk!
    >
    >*PLONK*

    Got clue?

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 1, 2003
  9. Howdy!

    > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote:

    Much snippage ensues ...

    > >> Sure about that, are you, Ralph? I have set up a virtual NNTP service
    > >> on my Exchange 2000 box that feeds news directly into the 'internet
    > >> newsgroups' Public Folder in, guess what, yes, OUTLOOK.

    > > In Exchange. In a public folder.

    > No, Ralph. In OUTLOOK. I fire up OUTLOOK. In that instance, OUTLOOK Is
    > the application I use to read news. OUTLOOK Is therefore the
    > news-reader, not Exchange. OUTLOOK may connect to Exchange to retrieve
    > the headers, but by your definition, we TINW aren't using OE, Agent,
    > XNews, etc. to read news, but the NNTP server. This is, quite
    > obviously, horse-pucky.

    Huh? Let's see - "I have set up a VIRTUAL NNTP service on my
    EXCHANGE 2000 box."

    Exchange is doing the NNTP access.

    Now, you can read news in public folders all day long. But do keep
    up - that's not the same thing as doing news NATIVELY within Outlook.

    Now - since they're PUBLIC folders, they're on the EXCHANGE server.
    Again, the Outlook box isn't doing news .. the Exchange server is, and is
    presenting it in a format that Outlook can handle.

    Try shutting Exchange down and see how far your "public folders" run

    > > Now, without Exchange?
    > >
    > > No, Outlook needs Outlook Express to do NNTP mail. Or some other
    > >provider.

    > 'NNTP mail'? 'provider'? Wtf?

    NNTP news feed is through your Exchange server, ne? Others, without
    Exchange, use Outlook Express as the NNTP agent.

    Without either, you get no NNTP service.

    Therefore no news.

    > > "Public Folders" are NOT the same thing.
    > >
    > > As anyone who's actually WORKED with an honest-to-$DEITY news

    server
    > >well knows ...

    > I work with one on a daily basis, Ralph. It is, however, OUTLOOK that
    > is executed on the client-side to read news. My users don't have
    > exchange installed on their workstations, yet they can read the
    > newsgroups I deign to allow them access to - via their installations
    > of OUTLOOK.

    Reading out of the Exchange Server's public folders.

    My, is there a reading comprehension problem here? The EXCHANGE
    server is doing the news feed. The OUTLOOK client can't do shit without
    SOMETHING to provice the NNTP service for it. Be it Outlook Express (what
    mere mortals are stuck with) or Exchange (what you're using). But shut that
    server off, remove all instances of MSIMN.* from your system, and see how
    much news you can get.

    > Can you see a pattern developing here?

    Sure. I don't think YOU do - you keep driving my point home, and
    then wanting to argue with me.

    > >> Ditto. SPNAK!!!1 I await your apology.

    > > What apology? Outlook does NOT do news. Exchange does Public
    > >Folders - but that's not an Outlook facility (won't work without Exchange

    on
    > >the backside).
    > >
    > > I stand by what I said.

    > I'm sure you do, and I'm just as certain that you'll continue to deny
    > that I read news in OUTLOOK - even if I were to post gifs...

    Define "read news". You read postings in your Exchange Server's
    public folders. They happen to be news postings that the Exchange Server
    imported.

    Now, shut that Exchange server down, and attach to a NNTP server.
    Oooh - look, there's MSIMN running in the background!

    I stand by what I said.

    > I live in hope, however, that you'll be man enough to concede where
    > you are incorrect - as I did regarding the cable/faxing issue.

    As soon as you correct your text, I will. But I am NOT incorrect.

    Next you'll try to tell me an ADM-3 terminal can "do news". When
    it's attached to a Unix box, sure. But not without SOMETHING ELSE to do the
    computational portion.

    Outlook re: NNTP news is just barely one step above the ADM-3
    terminal. It can NOT do NNTP news on its own. It requires a provider of
    some sort to handle that. In your case, it's Exchange Server. But if
    there's no Exchange Server, the default is to shell to Outlook Express.
    Remove OE, and Outlook then says "News? What's news? Never heard of that
    stuff ..." in effect.

    Try it sometimes.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 4, 2003
  10. "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"Monsignor Larville Jones MD" <> wrote in message
    >> "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote:

    > Much snippage ensues ...

    >> > In Exchange. In a public folder.

    **** me sideways. You're determined to ignore that news is being read
    by users via OUTLOOK. Oh well.

    >> No, Ralph. In OUTLOOK. I fire up OUTLOOK. In that instance, OUTLOOK Is
    >> the application I use to read news. OUTLOOK Is therefore the
    >> news-reader, not Exchange. OUTLOOK may connect to Exchange to retrieve
    >> the headers, but by your definition, we TINW aren't using OE, Agent,
    >> XNews, etc. to read news, but the NNTP server. This is, quite
    >> obviously, horse-pucky.

    > Huh? Let's see - "I have set up a VIRTUAL NNTP service on my
    >EXCHANGE 2000 box."
    >
    > Exchange is doing the NNTP access.

    That isn't up for debate. The news client is OUTLOOK.

    > Now, you can read news in public folders all day long. But do keep
    >up - that's not the same thing as doing news NATIVELY within Outlook.
    >
    > Now - since they're PUBLIC folders, they're on the EXCHANGE server.
    >Again, the Outlook box isn't doing news .. the Exchange server is, and is
    >presenting it in a format that Outlook can handle.

    Therefore OUTLOOK is used to read news.

    > Try shutting Exchange down and see how far your "public folders" run
    >

    >> > Now, without Exchange?
    >> >
    >> > No, Outlook needs Outlook Express to do NNTP mail. Or some other
    >> >provider.

    >> 'NNTP mail'? 'provider'? Wtf?

    > NNTP news feed is through your Exchange server, ne? Others, without
    >Exchange, use Outlook Express as the NNTP agent.
    >
    > Without either, you get no NNTP service.
    >
    > Therefore no news.

    What has that to do with 'NNTP mail' (whatever that is)?

    >> > "Public Folders" are NOT the same thing.
    >> >
    >> > As anyone who's actually WORKED with an honest-to-$DEITY news

    >server
    >> >well knows ...

    >> I work with one on a daily basis, Ralph. It is, however, OUTLOOK that
    >> is executed on the client-side to read news. My users don't have
    >> exchange installed on their workstations, yet they can read the
    >> newsgroups I deign to allow them access to - via their installations
    >> of OUTLOOK.

    > Reading out of the Exchange Server's public folders.
    >
    > My, is there a reading comprehension problem here? The EXCHANGE
    >server is doing the news feed. The OUTLOOK client can't do shit without
    >SOMETHING to provice the NNTP service for it. Be it Outlook Express (what
    >mere mortals are stuck with) or Exchange (what you're using). But shut that
    >server off, remove all instances of MSIMN.* from your system, and see how
    >much news you can get.
    >

    >> Can you see a pattern developing here?

    > Sure. I don't think YOU do - you keep driving my point home, and
    >then wanting to argue with me.

    >> > What apology? Outlook does NOT do news. Exchange does Public
    >> >Folders - but that's not an Outlook facility (won't work without Exchange

    >on
    >> >the backside).
    >> >
    >> > I stand by what I said.

    >> I'm sure you do, and I'm just as certain that you'll continue to deny
    >> that I read news in OUTLOOK - even if I were to post gifs...

    > Define "read news". You read postings in your Exchange Server's
    >public folders. They happen to be news postings that the Exchange Server
    >imported.
    >
    > Now, shut that Exchange server down, and attach to a NNTP server.
    >Oooh - look, there's MSIMN running in the background!
    >
    > I stand by what I said.
    >

    >> I live in hope, however, that you'll be man enough to concede where
    >> you are incorrect - as I did regarding the cable/faxing issue.

    > As soon as you correct your text, I will. But I am NOT incorrect.
    >
    > Next you'll try to tell me an ADM-3 terminal can "do news". When
    >it's attached to a Unix box, sure. But not without SOMETHING ELSE to do the
    >computational portion.
    >
    > Outlook re: NNTP news is just barely one step above the ADM-3
    >terminal. It can NOT do NNTP news on its own. It requires a provider of
    >some sort to handle that. In your case, it's Exchange Server. But if
    >there's no Exchange Server, the default is to shell to Outlook Express.
    >Remove OE, and Outlook then says "News? What's news? Never heard of that
    >stuff ..." in effect.
    >
    > Try it sometimes.
    >
    > RwP

    Listen up, Ralph. You said that I was posting bogus information when I
    stated that I read news in OUTLOOK. You said that I used Outlook
    Express, and that I should check what I post prior to hitting send.
    You can attempt to obfuscate the facts as much as you want, but the
    fact remains that I can read news in OUTLOOK.

    Simple, really. The SPNAK remains. ;o)

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 5, 2003
  11. "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"Monsignor Larville Jones MD" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Listen up, Ralph. You said that I was posting bogus information when I
    >> stated that I read news in OUTLOOK. You said that I used Outlook
    >> Express, and that I should check what I post prior to hitting send.
    >> You can attempt to obfuscate the facts as much as you want, but the
    >> fact remains that I can read news in OUTLOOK.

    > This all boils down to semantics - yours verses the universes.
    >
    > Outlook can NOT handle news by itself.
    >
    > "But I'm reading news using Outlook!"
    >
    > No, you're reading messages in the public folder on your Exchange
    >server.
    >
    > "You're an idiot, Ralph."
    >
    > Might be - but tell me what do I fix when you can't post to a USENET
    >newsgroup? Your Outlook? When it doesn't do news? Oh, but you say it
    >does.
    >
    > Fine. Shut down the Exchange server, and point it to, say,
    >NEWS.CIS.DFN.DE and pull the news down.
    >
    > Oh? What's this in the task manager? MSIMN? Damn, Outlook Express
    >isn't needed - Outlook does news!
    >
    > But, you see - you're confusing two things. READING the postings -
    >and actually DOING the news handling.
    >
    > So I was wrong about you using Outlook Express. Since you use
    >Exchange Public Folders, you're STILL wrong - that's not "doing news",
    >that's "reading public folders".
    >
    > Unless your folders are 100% USENET newsfeeds, !AND! they can be
    >nothing BUT USENET newsfeeds ... which is rather not how public folders are
    >designed, right?
    >
    > So - spnak (or whatever the hell that is) away.
    >
    > And keep on blasting total misinformation all you want. Without
    >something else to handle the newsfeed, Outlook doesn't do news.
    >
    > If you want to prove me wrong, kill Exchange, kill all copies of
    >MSIMN on your machine, and THEN post to this news server. Or any other
    >USENET NNTP news server.
    >
    > I await your reply through REAL channels ...
    >
    > RwP

    Semantics is right. I can quite happily remove any and all instances
    of msimn.exe and still read news using OUTLOOK. Your hangup about
    where the feed is coming from is your failing.

    Still, you admit that you were wrong regarding your 'blasting' me
    about using OE, which was the main bone of contention, so I guess
    that's about as close as we're going to get to a resolution. ;o)

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 5, 2003