    ???

    Thanks,
    James

    James, Nov 3, 2005

  2. You will need to re-install drivers, hot fixes, etc. A repair installation
    rolls you back to stock shipping OS. Which _does_ include SP1, or course.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 3, 2005

  3. If there was a SP2 installed on the trial, and you had XP Pro x64 full and
    wanted to repair, then you would have problem. In this case, you have
    nothing to worry about, I'm not sure, I don't think you have to reapply the
    updates since both the trial and full version are the same version (but you
    can run Windows Update after the repair installation just to make sure). As
    for chipset system drivers, no, the trial and full version are the same, you
    are just repairing the operating system (software) not the hardware.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 3, 2005
  4. So in a sense then, Windows does a Clean upgrade which saves existing
    settings?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 3, 2005
  5. yup.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > So in a sense then, Windows does a Clean upgrade which saves existing
    > settings?

    >> You will need to re-install drivers, hot fixes, etc. A repair
    >> installation rolls you back to stock shipping OS. Which _does_ include
    >> SP1, or course. --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >>
    >> James wrote:
    >>> Hi Everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I understand that I can do a repair on my trial version to update the
    >>> license to the full version. But, what if I have SP1 and other updates
    >>> installed on the trial version? I understand that I probably will have
    >>> to reinstall these following the repair. But, do I have to remove them
    >>> first? Will the repair reset the installed chipset system drivers, etc
    >>> ???
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> James

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 3, 2005
  6. Hello,
    So there are some differences if you do an upgrade versus a repair
    installation.
    It would be preferable to do an upgrade from inside the OS rather than a
    repair if possible.
    If the evaluation period has not expired, then just insert the cd and let
    setup run, tell it to do an upgrade.

    Setup does a refresh of the OS files, so OS files are overwritten with the
    files from setup. This would include any OS updates that have been
    installed on the system. Running setup presumes to go to a known good
    state with known OS files, so setup does not do version checking.
    Most settings should be preserved, installed applications and drivers
    should be preserved.

    So if you do a repair rather than an upgrade: here are some differences
    that may take place.
    1) you may need to use F6 to install mass storage drivers if your system
    needs them. ( upgrade uses the installed drivers)
    2) Drive lettering is re-enumerated during setup, so there is potential
    that some of your drive letters could change. Since you boot from the CD
    to start setup, the drives have to be enumerated before you can get into
    setup.
    3) netcard setting may have to reconfigured if they are not default
    settings. Netcards are redetected so some of the settings may not be moved
    over.
    4) Hal is redected rather than migrated.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <Subject: Re: Repair Trial x64 SP1 to full version
    <Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:48:38 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <So in a sense then, Windows does a Clean upgrade which saves existing
    <settings?
    <--
    <Andre
    <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <
    <"Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    <> You will need to re-install drivers, hot fixes, etc. A repair
    installation
    <> rolls you back to stock shipping OS. Which _does_ include SP1, or course.
    <>
    <> --
    <> Charlie.
    <> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>
    <> James wrote:
    <>> Hi Everyone,
    <>>
    <>> I understand that I can do a repair on my trial version to update the
    <>> license to the full version. But, what if I have SP1 and other updates
    <>> installed on the trial version? I understand that I probably will have
    <>> to reinstall these following the repair. But, do I have to remove them
    <>> first? Will the repair reset the installed chipset system drivers, etc
    <>> ???
    <>>
    <>> Thanks,
    <>> James
    <>
    <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 3, 2005
  7. Hmmm. Very interesting. It's really useful to have the differences laid out
    like that. Thank you. I think I'll blog that to keep it around. (Unless
    you'd like to do that directly yourself?)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 3, 2005
  8. Which raises the question, does Autostreamer support x64?. The need for a
    slipstreamed cd for x64 is only a matter of time.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 3, 2005
  9. Darrell has a blog? Link?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 3, 2005
  10. AutoStreamer is not the only solution in the world, if its not available
    just use other tradition methods that involve NERO or Roxio Easy CD Creator
    software. Paul Thurrott has a nice write up about doing Service Pack
    slipstreams in this applications:

    Please note that this tutorial was for Service Pack 2 on Windows XP x86
    which is not available to Windows XP x64 since the technologies for SP2 are
    integrated into SP1 for Server 2003 and Windows XP x64, but should be just
    same when SP2 is released for Windows x64.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 3, 2005
  11. Hello,
    Sorry no blog,
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:35:09 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Darrell has a blog? Link?
    <--
    <Andre
    <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <
    <> "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
[...]
    <>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    <>> rights
    <>> --------------------
    <>> <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <>> <References: <>
    <>> <#>
    <>> <Subject: Re: Repair Trial x64 SP1 to full version
    <>> <Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:48:38 -0800
    <>> <Lines: 34
    <>> <X-Priority: 3
    <>> <X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    <>> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
    <>> <X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
    <>> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
    <>> <Message-ID: <>
    <>> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <>> <NNTP-Posting-Host: port0118-acb-adsl.cwjamaica.com 72.27.8.118
    <>> <Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
    <>> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:20652
    <>> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <>> <
    <>> <So in a sense then, Windows does a Clean upgrade which saves existing
    <>> <settings?
    <>> <--
    <>> <Andre
    <>> <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <>> <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <>> <http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <>> <FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <>> <
    <>> <"Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    <>> message
    <>> <news:%...
    <>> <> You will need to re-install drivers, hot fixes, etc. A repair
    <>> installation
    <>> <> rolls you back to stock shipping OS. Which _does_ include SP1, or
    <>> course. <>
    <>> <> --
    <>> <> Charlie.
    <>> <> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>> <>
    <>> <> James wrote:
    <>> <>> Hi Everyone,
    <>> <>>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 4, 2005
  12. Yes, Andre, I am aware of the context and Paul's tutorial. For that matter,
    Autostreamer also handles W2k, but I am just thinking ahead to when we get a
    service pack for x64 because a slipstreamed cd will then be required to do a
    repair install once the sp has been installed on a system.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 4, 2005