    brgds
    p.sorensen, Denmark

    http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg
    ___P.Sir, Jun 29, 2011

  2. ___P.Sir

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 29/06/2011 09:02, ___P.Sir wrote:
    > This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
    > Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
    > okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
    >
    > brgds
    > p.sorensen, Denmark
    >
    > http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

    Sun is almost overhead and camera facing into sun - likely a smear on
    the lens is responsible for some haze on highlights. Distance haze may
    well be real - cameras pick it up more than our eyes notice at the time.

    Best bet is unsharp mask with radius 3 or 4 and 50-60% strength
    according to taste and then histogram adjust. You might want to tweak
    the shadow detail independently or next time use a fill in flash.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jun 29, 2011

  3. "___P.Sir" <> wrote in message
    > This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
    > Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day
    > are okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
    >
    > brgds
    > p.sorensen, Denmark
    >
    > http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

    Any standard image editing program should be able to clear it up somewhat.
    The old version of Paint Shop Pro I have has a "clarify" command. It
    looks like condensation on the lens, the camera being taken from an
    air-conditions interior into a humid environment, with insufficient time
    for the condensation to clear. Likely you will never make the picture
    perfect, though. Using "One step photo fix" from Paint Shop Pro I got
    this:

    http://www.satsignal.eu/IMAG0035-a.jpg

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 29, 2011
  4. ___P.Sir

    ASCII Guest

    G Paleologopoulos wrote:

    >>> This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
    >>> Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day
    >>> are
    >>> okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
    >>>
    >>> brgds
    >>> p.sorensen, Denmark
    >>>
    >>> http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg
    >>>

    >And to think that some consider cell-phone cameras a menace to
    >p&s's.................

    Isn't HTC supposed to be an upscale cell camera/phone?
    ASCII, Jun 29, 2011
  5. ___P.Sir

    ASCII Guest

    Doug Bashford wrote:

    >> >And to think that some consider cell-phone cameras a menace to
    >> >p&s's.................

    >> Isn't HTC supposed to be an upscale cell camera/phone?

    >Some here should LOVE it:
    >
    >"The body of the HTC Legend is cut from a single piece of
    >brushed aluminium. ...gives you a strong device that can
    >take what life throws at it."
    >
    >Meanwhile I still lust after an 8 oz. plastic
    >framed Ruger® LCP® compact .380 Auto!

    Or the plastic (Zytel) gripped Ruger® KP-4 22-45 stainless.
    It's only a little larger than the .380 Lightweight Compact Pistol
    but will still fit in a pocket, if that's where you like to carry,
    plus the ammo is cheap enough to encourage that all important practice,
    so necessary for critical shot placement, with any small caliber firearm.

    Maybe have to take an HTC out to the desert plinking range some day
    just to see how tough that "single piece of brushed aluminum" really is?
    ASCII, Jun 29, 2011
  6. ___P.Sir

    ___P.Sir Guest

    "___P.Sir" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
    > Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
    > okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
    >
    > brgds
    > p.sorensen, Denmark
    >
    > http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

    Thank You all for good advice - however, I am not sure the theory about the
    camera and the poor lens is justified...I have put on the same web a few
    more photos taken minutes within the problem one - but with the sun in the
    back instead. And though I agree it is not SLP quality, it still is quite
    good for the "impulsive" picture taking, without having to carry a bunch of
    equipment - in my humble opinion...

    They are here: http://granvista.dk/foto/
    (no`s. 27, 31, 32, 36.
    p.sorensen
    ___P.Sir, Jun 29, 2011
  7. ___P.Sir

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <4e0ba6a2$0$302$>,
    says...

    > "___P.Sir" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
    > > Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
    > > okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
    > >
    > > brgds
    > > p.sorensen, Denmark
    > >
    > > http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg
    > >

    > Thank You all for good advice - however, I am not sure the theory about the
    > camera and the poor lens is justified...I have put on the same web a few
    > more photos taken minutes within the problem one - but with the sun in the
    > back instead. And though I agree it is not SLP quality, it still is quite
    > good for the "impulsive" picture taking, without having to carry a bunch of
    > equipment - in my humble opinion...
    >
    > They are here: http://granvista.dk/foto/
    > (no`s. 27, 31, 32, 36.
    > p.sorensen

    Here's a try at it using Levels and Brightness/Contrast in Photoshop.
    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/5885804847/>. I believe that
    the latest Photoshop Elements can do the same and it's a lot cheaper.
    If I worked on it longer I could probably get more improvement but that
    should give an idea of what can be done.

    A short tutorial can be found at
    <http://edwinsetiawan.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/fixing-washout-photo-
    caused-by-lens-flare-using-photoshop/>.

    That said, the best cure for image problems is preventing them in the
    first place.

    If, facing into the sun, you get a "somewhat hazy" image, but facing
    away you don't, the cause is almost certainly lens flare, the result of
    sunlight impinging directly on part of the lens and being directed onto
    the film/sensor. Lens flare can take many forms, from overall haze to
    outlines of internal parts of the lens to odd points of light--it can
    also occur at night when there are bright lights in a position to
    impinge on the lens.

    The first thing to do to avoid it is make sure there is not a problem
    with the lens--dust, condensation, fingerprints, scratches, etc.

    Next step is to arrange some kind of lens hood. You can buy one
    specifally made for your lens or you can cobble one up from an
    appropriately sized paper cup or some cardboard or you can just hold
    your hand in the right place to shade the lens from the sun.

    Beyond that you can go with a higher grade lens with better coatings, or
    a non-zoom lens with fewer air-glass surfaces, but under the right
    circumstances any lens can produce flare.
    J. Clarke, Jun 30, 2011
  8. ___P.Sir

    Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:02:20 +0200, "___P.Sir"
    <> wrote:

    >This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
    >Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
    >okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
    >
    >brgds
    >p.sorensen, Denmark
    >
    >http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

    I'm currently on a computer with little video RAM and all I
    used was GIMP, but if you want to know, here's what I did.

    I upped the contrast a bit, and then clicked "colors" / "auto"
    / "white balance", and it sharpened up the image considerably. I'll
    send it to you by e-mail.
    , Jul 8, 2011
  9. ___P.Sir

    John Turco Guest

    "___P.Sir" wrote:

    > > "___P.Sir" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
    > > Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day
    > > are okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
    > >
    > > brgds
    > > p.sorensen, Denmark
    > >
    > > http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

    > Thank You all for good advice - however, I am not sure the theory about the
    > camera and the poor lens is justified...I have put on the same web a few
    > more photos taken minutes within the problem one - but with the sun in the
    > back instead. And though I agree it is not SLP quality, it still is quite
    > good for the "impulsive" picture taking, without having to carry a bunch
    > of equipment - in my humble opinion...

    No need for apologies.

    > They are here: http://granvista.dk/foto/
    > (no`s. 27, 31, 32, 36.
    > p.sorensen

    I viewed the images, and thought they were surprisingly good. A bit
    "soft" and lacking in detail, and yet...color and resolution are
    both adequate.

    As for myself, I started at the bottom, with a lowly Largan "Lmini
    350" digicam (350,000 pixels). That was in January of 2001; some
    10+ years later, your cell phone camera takes preferable shots.

    Good luck, and keep on snappin'!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>