    Is it scrap or worth repairing?
    --
    Regards, Gary Wooding

    lemel_man, Aug 14, 2007

  2. lemel_man

    Jim Guest

    "lemel_man" <> wrote in message
    news:46c16ecc$0$16392$...
    > I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen is
    > blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display pictures
    > already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on the
    > electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
    > There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the best
    > of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
    > Is it scrap or worth repairing?
    > --
    > Regards, Gary Wooding
    > (To reply by email, change feet to foot in my address)

    Impossible to answer without knowing what, if anything, is wrong with the
    camera.
    However, it isn't a good idea to spend more on repairs than a new camera
    will cost.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 14, 2007

  3. lemel_man

    Zen Diver Guest

    lemel_man wrote:
    > I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen is
    > blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display pictures
    > already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on the
    > electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
    > There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the
    > best of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
    > Is it scrap or worth repairing?

    May I refer you to this thread which I believe may be of some interest
    to you. The gist is that the problem with your camera may be a known
    problem which Nikon is offering to repair free of charge. Have a look
    at the thread for the meatier detail

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_frm/thread/3b7fab46e0b5dbe/

    jon

    Zen Diver, Aug 14, 2007
  4. In article <sHkwi.33250$>,
    "Jim" <> wrote:

    > "lemel_man" <> wrote in message
    > > I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen is
    > > blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display pictures
    > > already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on the
    > > electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
    > > There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the best
    > > of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
    > > Is it scrap or worth repairing?
    > > --
    > > Regards, Gary Wooding
    > > (To reply by email, change feet to foot in my address)
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > Impossible to answer without knowing what, if anything, is wrong with the
    > camera.
    > However, it isn't a good idea to spend more on repairs than a new camera
    > will cost.
    > Jim

    It isn't a good idea to spend one fourth of the cost of replacement for
    a repair.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Aug 14, 2007
  5. lemel_man

    lemel_man Guest

    Zen Diver wrote:
    > lemel_man wrote:
    >> I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I took it out yesterday and the screen
    >> is blank, just as if I'd left the lens-cap on. It will display
    >> pictures already on the card, and the menu system works fine, both on
    >> the electronic viewfinder and the screen, but no image at all.
    >> There was no indication of a problem when I last used it, and to the
    >> best of my knowledge it hasn't been physically abused, so.
    >> Is it scrap or worth repairing?

    > May I refer you to this thread which I believe may be of some interest
    > to you. The gist is that the problem with your camera may be a known
    > problem which Nikon is offering to repair free of charge. Have a look
    > at the thread for the meatier detail
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_frm/thread/3b7fab46e0b5dbe/
    >

    > jon

    Thanks Jon,
    Your suggestion appears to be spot on. According to Nikon's website the
    recall is still in operation so I have sent it off to them. I wouldn't
    have occurred to me to check if you hadn't responded, so thanks again.
    I'll post the result when its resolved one way or another.

    --
    Regards, Gary Wooding

    lemel_man, Aug 15, 2007