    How does one proceed ? or do I have to re-install completely? Don't really
    want to lose everything - daughter's pc, despite dire warnings, she's not as
    careful with back-ups as I am ..
    Silvabod, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Silvabod

    Trax Guest

    "Silvabod" <> wrote:

    |>Managed to get pc to boot from XPPro CD - chose the "repair" option, which
    |>loads up various files, then option to install XP or Repair.
    |>There is only one XP Pro installation (1: C:\Windows) - on-screen question
    |>"which installation would you like to repair?" enter the "1", screen goes
    |>into black-screen DOS, at directory C:\Windows, little white square cursor,
    |>nothing happening.

    Managed to get a dos prompt huh :)

    If you can work in that window try this:

    Move everything in WINDOWS\system32\config (files only not
    directories) to another directory.

    Copy everything in WINDOWS\repair to WINDOWS\system32\config

    Reboot and hope for the best.

    This will replace the registry files to ones created on the last
    system backup - if never back'd up then to the point it was first
    installed.

    If it doesn't work you can always delete the files you copied and move
    the files back.

    --
    Trojan Using Sony DRM Rootkit Spotted
    http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/11/10/1615239.shtml?tid=172&tid=233
    Trax, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Silvabod wrote:

    > Managed to get pc to boot from XPPro CD - chose the "repair" option, which
    > loads up various files, then option to install XP or Repair.
    > There is only one XP Pro installation (1: C:\Windows) - on-screen
    > question "which installation would you like to repair?" enter the "1",
    > screen goes into black-screen DOS, at directory C:\Windows, little white
    > square cursor, nothing happening.

    You probably selected the recovery console, but wanted to reinstall.
    You have to go with "install" option first, then the installer will find the
    existing windows partition and offer a repair install.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Haven't got a PROPER DOS prompt, only a white square, static, not
    pulsing/flashing. Cannot CD (navigate away from Windows directory.

    Managed to run CHKDSK, which reports one or more errors on the disk.
    Would FIXBOOT do more damage than good (assuming it would run?)

    Silvabod, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    PS This is a fairly new (4 months old) hdd

    Silvabod, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Thanks - will try that!

    Silvabod, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Silvabod

    Trax Guest

    "Silvabod" <> wrote:

    |>Haven't got a PROPER DOS prompt, only a white square, static, not
    |>pulsing/flashing. Cannot CD (navigate away from Windows directory.
    |>
    |>Managed to run CHKDSK, which reports one or more errors on the disk.
    |>Would FIXBOOT do more damage than good (assuming it would run?

    If after following Walter Mautner's suggestion doesn't work, these are
    the commands you can run from the repair console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058
    bootcfg /rebuild might be a better choice.

    --
    Sony, I download your music
    Trax, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Silvabod

    The Prophecy Guest

    Silvabod wrote:

    > Managed to get pc to boot from XPPro CD - chose the "repair" option,
    > which loads up various files, then option to install XP or Repair.
    > There is only one XP Pro installation (1: C:\Windows) - on-screen
    > question "which installation would you like to repair?" enter the
    > "1", screen goes into black-screen DOS, at directory C:\Windows,
    > little white square cursor, nothing happening.
    >
    > Same behaviour on both original system disk and XP/SP2 slipdisk made
    > from it, so unlikely BOTH system disks are faulty.
    >
    > How does one proceed ? or do I have to re-install completely? Don't
    > really want to lose everything - daughter's pc, despite dire
    > warnings, she's not as careful with back-ups as I am ..

    Unfortunately, the XP disk isn't too clear about which repair option is
    which. The one you are going to is actually the Recovery Console. What you
    need to do is hit Enter after setup loads, instead of R at that point. Let
    it detect the installs of XP, then you should get the option to repair the
    current install of XP (by hitting Enter) or doing a clean install by hitting
    Esc.

    --
    Windows XP -
    A 64 bit upgrade to a 32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell running on
    The Prophecy, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    I (perhaps) made a mistake listening to two advisers at once - followed
    Walters advice (to run "install" which would offer to repair") - it didn't -
    I'm now stuck with installing a SECOND instance of XP on the same drive -
    currently 40 minutes to go (assumung no glitches) - I elected NOT to
    clear/overwrite existing installation (it's installing in c:\WINDOWSX - so
    right now I'm sort of stuck.
    Reading through the site you sent me to - though there's nothing on screen,
    perhaps the "repair" installation was waiting for an admin password - but, I
    didn't set one, on original installation!

    Mean-time - other than "couldn't find NOTEPAD.EX_" in i386 (on CD in E:\
    error (navigated to it, subsequently loaded - I think)

    Ten minutes later - still loading!|

    Silvabod, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Went to Install - It found the existing OS, but I must have missed it
    somehow, "repair" wasn't an option - I've now got a SECOND OS (in
    C:|WINDOWSX) - which loaded almost without problem (and, boots OK from HDD)
    Since I elected NOT to overwrite files, just load, I can "see" at least some
    if not all the files in C:|Windows

    So - the latest is - having successfullt loaded XP PRO for a second time, we
    can assume hardware is all OK -yes?

    Now have a different problem.
    On boot, I'm offered TWO XP Pro systems, identical;.
    Top one is the new one (which boots)
    Second one still errors - BUT NOW - putting in the CD, choosing "r" -
    there's only ONE system showing, the new one.
    So - how to "fix" the old one, with all the files/apps in it?
    I've just run "FIXBOOT " and CHKDSK /R - CHKDSK found one or more errors (as
    before) but neither command has fixed the problem.

    Any suggestions?

    Silvabod, Nov 11, 2005
  11. Silvabod

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Silvabod" <> wrote in message

    > How does one proceed ? or do I have to re-install completely? Don't really
    > want to lose everything - daughter's pc, despite dire warnings, she's not
    > as careful with back-ups as I am ..

    Take the hard drive out and put it into another machine, copy the contents
    to the other machine, repartition the drive into 2 partitions (so you have a
    safe place to put things if you have to reformat the system drive), put the
    drive back in the machine, reinstall.

    I don't know why the big box manufactureres always think a *HUGE* system
    drive is neccesary. All my machines go out with at least a C: and D:, with
    the CD/DVD as E: and I have much fewer problems when I have to reinstall
    them.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 11, 2005
  12. Silvabod wrote:

    > Went to Install - It found the existing OS, but I must have missed it
    > somehow, "repair" wasn't an option - I've now got a SECOND OS (in
    > C:|WINDOWSX) - which loaded almost without problem (and, boots OK from
    > HDD) Since I elected NOT to overwrite files, just load, I can "see" at
    > least some if not all the files in C:|Windows
    >
    > So - the latest is - having successfullt loaded XP PRO for a second time,
    > we can assume hardware is all OK -yes?

    Before investing much more time and risking loss of your data, download the
    harddrive test and diagnosis floppy off the homepage of your harddrive
    manufacturer, and run the test, or use a knoppix cd (sudo su on a
    "commandline" and run "smartctl -A /dev/hda" and then "smartctl -t
    long /dev/hda" to check status and perform a drive test. "hda" goes for the
    master drive on the 1st ide channel, change as appropriate.

    > Now have a different problem.
    > On boot, I'm offered TWO XP Pro systems, identical;.
    > Top one is the new one (which boots)
    > Second one still errors - BUT NOW - putting in the CD, choosing "r" -
    > there's only ONE system showing, the new one.

    Since the repair install didn't offer the "repair" option (you actually
    should have cancelled there ..) it didn't find a recoverable system
    registry. There are ways to use system restore even from a non-bootable
    install (BartPE is the most convenient one), but no warranty.
    Now I can only suggest you

    > So - how to "fix" the old one, with all the files/apps in it?

    - "take ownership" of your old "documents and settings" path as admin. With
    xp home you probably will have to use safe mode for that. Create your
    day-to-day user (preferrably no admin) and log on to that account to create
    a pristine profile.
    - Log off and on again as admin, copy the contents of your old "documents
    and settings" - folder over to the new account. Omit ntuser.dat and
    ntuser.log, since it won't work due to the different userid even if you use
    the same name.
    - Unfortunately you will have to reinstall most of your applications even if
    they go to the same place ("program files") which already exists.
    However, if you use the same paths to install, some program settings will be
    remembered.

    > I've just run "FIXBOOT " and CHKDSK /R - CHKDSK found one or more errors
    > (as before) but neither command has fixed the problem.

    Sorry. Remember to research for the reason why your old installs main
    registry got corrupted - it could as well be harddrive or ram.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 11, 2005
  13. Silvabod

    Trax Guest

    "Silvabod" <> wrote:

    |>Now have a different problem.
    |>On boot, I'm offered TWO XP Pro systems, identical;.
    |>Top one is the new one (which boots)
    |>Second one still errors - BUT NOW - putting in the CD, choosing "r" -
    |>there's only ONE system showing, the new one.
    |>So - how to "fix" the old one, with all the files/apps in it?
    |>I've just run "FIXBOOT " and CHKDSK /R - CHKDSK found one or more errors (as
    |>before) but neither command has fixed the problem.

    The easiest way to do this now is to RUN msconfig, go to the boot.ini
    area a nd select Check all boot paths.

    --
    Sony, I download your music
    Trax, Nov 11, 2005
  14. Silvabod

    Trax Guest

    Trax <> wrote:

    |>The easiest way to do this now is to RUN msconfig, go to the boot.ini
    |>area a nd select Check all boot paths.

    That ain't going to work - I had a $900 suprise bill today and well...

    You now have your command prompt :) do what you need.

    Run the repair again this time with the proper switches.

    --
    Sony, I download your music
    Trax, Nov 12, 2005
  15. Silvabod

    Trax Guest

    Trax <> wrote:

    |>Run the repair again this time with the proper switches.

    Oh ya, and if you didn't put in a password on the first installation
    it just requires <enter> to get in.

    --
    Sony, I download your music
    Trax, Nov 12, 2005