    restore his bios?

    Thank you
    Norm

    Norm, May 23, 2004

  2. Norm

    Thor Guest

    If the board is unable to boot to a floppy disk, then he's likely out of
    luck, and will have to get a replacement BIOS chip from the manufacturer. If
    the system tries to boot to a floppy, then he can use another computer to
    put the flash program and the proper BIOS file for his board, on the disk,
    along with an autoexec.bat with the necessary commands to automatically load
    and run the flash program from boot (consult the motherboard manufacturer's
    BIOS flashing instructions, they should show how to do this). He can also
    try using the clear CMOS jumper on the board per the user manual. It will
    set it back to BIOS defaults, and sometimes this can fix issues after a BIOS
    flash, but if the flash was wrong or corrupted, then this won't help.

    "Norm" <> wrote in message
    > I have a friend who downloaded a biios upgrade from the site who makes his
    > motherboard the upgrade seems to have reset or damaged the bios. He got

    the
    > upgrade from the international site and not the usa site is there anyway

    of

    Thor, May 23, 2004

  3. I agree - the CMOS-clearing jumper on the motherboard is probably the
    best bet. On my Abit IC7-Max 3 motherboard, I was getting an error on
    bootup that said "Checksum error - insert system disk." Even after
    inserting a bootable floppy with a new BIOS and flashing program on
    it, it would appear to successfully re-flash the BIOS, but I'd have
    the same problem when the computer re-booted. Clearing the CMOS with
    the jumper and re-flashing it once more from the floppy fixed
    everything.

    Scott Gardner

    Scott Gardner, May 23, 2004